PIT Post-Gazette: Latest US Airways layoffs not so bad for region

C

chipmunn

Latest US Airways layoffs not so bad for region[BR][BR][A href=http://www.post-gazette.com/businessnews/20021127usairbus1p1.asp]http://www.post-gazette.com/businessnews/20021127usairbus1p1.asp[/A]

We are very disappointed in management. They appear to be attempting to restructure the company on the backs of labor. Management has shown very little creativity in turning this company around, said Roy Freundlich, spokesman for the Air Line Pilots Association.
.................................................Chip do your disagree with your leader?

[H5][FONT face=Comic Sans MS]
[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 11/27/2002 6:22:15 AM usfliboi wrote:
[P]We are very disappointed in management. They appear to be attempting to restructure the company on the backs of labor. Management has shown very little creativity in turning this company around, said Roy Freundlich, spokesman for the Air Line Pilots Association.[BR].................................................Chip do your disagree with your leader?[/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][/P] you know the more i think about it,the more i steam...how many years have we seen STUPID decisions,incompetent actions,etc,etc.now management makes GREAT reductions, can some secretarys and clerks ...fire a couple junior super's.i like the AFA updates...wish IAM was half as informational as them.this GLASS clown does wonders for employee relationships.they only give for 2 yrs....get some of my vacation.but oh,i'm sorry we have to retain incompetent personell or they'll surely go elsewhere.you ever see the movie NETWORK?its time to go open your windows and yell:I'M MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!..quoted from Howard Beale,the only network commentator assassinated for lousy ratings[/FONT][/H5]
11.gif']

Chip,
This article, as I'm sure you are well aware, is very misleading with regard to Pittsburgh and the impact this situation has on the region. While it is not a bad result in terms of the economic impact on the Pittsburgh region, it will have a negative impact in that some jobs here will be lost due to bumping seniority. Actually, Pittsburgh could benefit with workers moving in from outside the area. However, for the current workers in Pittsburgh facing layoffs as a result of the TPA closure, the outlook is not so rosy.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/28/2002 10:04:34 AM Pylit wrote:

Chip,
This article, as I'm sure you are well aware, is very misleading with regard to Pittsburgh and the impact this situation has on the region. While it is not a bad result in terms of the economic impact on the Pittsburgh region, it will have a negative impact in that some jobs here will be lost due to bumping seniority. Actually, Pittsburgh could benefit with workers moving in from outside the area. However, for the current workers in Pittsburgh facing layoffs as a result of the TPA closure, the outlook is not so rosy.

----------------
[/blockquote]
Absolutely Right!!
The Charlotte Observer and the local TV stations tried to paint an optomistic picture of this news as well.

To say the least it's not good anyway you slice it. As previously stated , this is nothing more than an exchange of bodies , because more jobs are not actually being added..just additional duties for those that happen to be lucky enough to hold a position with this company in PIT and CLT.

Then when you take into account the added concessions and work rule changes being asked for , the long term economic impact to both regions will only continue to suffer , if outsourcing of what were good paying U positions , end up in the hands of subcontractors at vastely reduced rates.

Obviously lower salaries will create a lower tax base for both regions to draw from..then you will have premium levels of Un-Employment compensation being paid out for at least an added 26 week or more to those employee's being dis-placed from the local workforce and tax base.

There is absolutey no way to put a positive spin on this...everyone , including the non-airline related taxpayers are going to suffer in one way or another. This is a fine example of News writers only presenting one part of the picture. This of itself is a horrible dis-service to those seeking the truth of the matter.