PIT Post-Gazette Letter to the Editor- 8/26/07

You hit the nail on the head by stating "PHL makes money but it makes pax and crew miserable" and THAT is EXACTLY the CRUX of the Argument. PHL is capable of operating a smaller scale O&D HUB OPERATION on its own utilizing smaller a/c if so be it. But what MANY people (employees and customers) DO NOT understand is WHY Route All those connecting pax into a facility that CAN'T handle it and create aviation's BIGGEST CLUSTER*? I was based in PIT for years and the airport would be hard pressed to ever find ANYONE to say it was poorly run. Travelling thru PIT was a pleasant travel experience......customer friendly and great employees. Not only does an airline move people from point A-to-B but generally some level of customer service is expected. PIT can DELIVER on all Fronts........PHL can Not, will not and now most people will avoid PHL at all costs. It's called the "PHILLY FACTOR"......pax in THE KNOW say NO (well some probably say F*ck No :lol: ). And to set the record straight, I enjoyed working out of the PIT facility. Living in PIT was a different story, it wasn't for me........so let's NOT intertwine the issue for SENTIMENTAL REASONS.
Thanks Astro----I could not have said it better myself-----

LCC is a joke. Over the weekend, I priced a trip to SFO. US was twice as much as Delta, both with connections (US through the dreaded PHL). Easy choice.

So you will get to connect through CVG or ATL? Still no bargain. Face it you live in PIT and have little choice, so suck it up, sit down and shut up!

So you will get to connect through CVG or ATL? Still no bargain. Face it you live in PIT and have little choice, so suck it up, sit down and shut up!
Oh but you are so wrong........we do have a choice, and more of them each day. Each city we lose as a non stop destination grants us more and much better choices. And places like CVG, ATL, ORD etc. are much better than that $hithole in eastern PA. And the best part of it is that we don't have to face attitudes like yours when paying $$ for a service. If it weren't for the moronic move on US' part to pull down service in PIT, many of us wouldn't have had the opportunity to see what GOOD service from an airline is.

Oh but you are so wrong........we do have a choice, and more of them each day. Each city we lose as a non stop destination grants us more and much better choices. And places like CVG, ATL, ORD etc. are much better than that $hithole in eastern PA. And the best part of it is that we don't have to face attitudes like yours when paying $$ for a service. If it weren't for the moronic move on US' part to pull down service in PIT, many of us wouldn't have had the opportunity to see what GOOD service from an airline is.
Go ahead Traves2mch---tell these (obviously blind company cheerleaders) just how fed up with US the FF and other ex or soon to be ex customers are and how it is really working in the real world----Because there are those of us that still work here that could not agree with you more----

Thanks

AGREE COMPLETELY! When I lived in PIT, many of my neighbors would apologize for NOT flying US......AS IF I care (they nor anyone else needs to explain their reasons to me). A wise consummer SHOPS Around.......only a fool expects someone to do it for them. Kind of like the Southwest phenomena......people see all the ads for LOW FARES and their stupid "DING" commercials and buy into that, yet MANY TIMES SWA is priced OVER the Competition. It works for SWA because many people are LAZY. People in Western PA really don't embrace the citizens of the East (metro Phillie) and vice versa. And if anyone thinks the reasonable people of PIT will continually subject themselves to the clusterf* of PHL when options exist out of CLE/CVG/ORD or CLT, YOU'RE NUTS.

CLE/CVG/ORD or CLT, YOU'RE NUTS.
I used to have CLT in that list but no more......after my last visit to Charladelphia that changed drastically. And Washadelphia has gone down the crapper too. After my last transit through PHL a couple years ago, I swore then and there, never again....and I haven't. When PHL is the option, DL or UA gets my money. In fact, I'm at a point now where I only go US on nonstop flights (which aren't many) or FF tickets.

PIT would probably STILL be a hub today if it weren't for a certain few could have got along a little better. The whole move out of PIT was a "Yeah well watch this" action. The airport was designed to connect and NOT rely solely on O&D. The airline will NEVER admit that it could work. There is NO REASON to send all of your passengers in the northeast AND Midwest for that matter through PHL. It simply cannot handle it and never will. While there is a great deal of money to be made there being the dominant airline we should NOT continue business this way. It's funny ya know, that you can hardly EVER get anyone to agree with what management does but will ALWAYS back them up on the PIT dehubbing decision. All the sudden the supporters have reason to agree with this management team. As if they don't screw up EVERYWHERE else. I think that some folks NOT ALL but some have held a grudge against PIT and those that supported it and worked there due to their own circumstances and misfortune in this company over the years. I agree with Astro that living in Pittsburgh and whether you like the town has NOTHING to do with the airport being able to deliver. I still do think the airport could be a money maker. CO makes CLE work, DL makes CVG work yet the cities are very similar in size. I find THAT amazing. For all that money we make in PHL is it really worth it? Things are great huh? The operation is great! ! ! PHL needs fixed and I mean more than some twits from the Tempe walking around with clipboards. Rehub PIT and the operation will certainly do MUCH better. It without question did before. The money can't be made in PIT it total BS. It's also BS when someone says, "Well if PIT is so profitable why has no other airline hubbed there". Well that answer is pretty simple as most larger network carriers are already established in their hubs. It's pointless really to even discuss it since we'll NEVER see them agree to go back. It's just like them agreeing to go back to Sabre. Never gonna happen. This airline is just destined to fail. As someone had mentioned in another thread even a cat will spend it's 9Th eventually.

More than a few had heard Jim Roddey speak about his displeasure with a few at US in some small but pretty powerful places like the Common Plea Restaurant in downtown Pittsburgh. The whole thing is total bs and we all suffered due to grown adults not being able to get along and shooting their mouths off.

More than a few had heard Jim Roddey speak about his displeasure with a few at US in some small but pretty powerful places like the Common Plea Restaurant in downtown Pittsburgh. The whole thing is total bs and we all suffered due to grown adults not being able to get along and shooting their mouths off.
And fortunately, he is GONE GONE GONE!! Unfortunately-the US mess he left was too much for Dan Onorato to pooper scoop. You and Bob hit the nail on the head...this was a political move and nothing more. US (and the PIT bashers on here) can spin the 'can't make money there', 'they charge too much there', 'nobody is flying from PIT' tales all they want. As Clue and Jim and several others have stated with facts-it's all BS. And the penalty is paid by the employees and customers who are doomed to places like PHL. Not to mention all of the employees who lost their jobs or were uprooted. If they think PHL will be turned around, well they're just delusional.

What I find most troubling about the dehubbing in PIT and the refusal of BOTH parties to sit down and hammer out a deal, with NOTHING but a PARTNERSHIP in mind is......The Midfield Terminal was literally built for USAirways, with their specifications in mind at taxpayer expense. This Terminal and the vast area of land it occupies IS an Awesome airport- Pax loved it and employees liked working there. This airport was trendsetting with its AIRMALL and reknowned "street pricing" of goods and services. In bad weather this airport rarely had a hiccup, and waiting on a gate was never an issue. The (3)USAirways Clubs were museum like, yet many employees didn't even knew what was offered behind the doors. Companies file BK all the time and always will. It was THE WAY Pittsburgh was treated moments before emerging from BK1 that the locals WILL NEVER FORGET. Some people will argue, it's all in the price of doing business......Maybe so, but If I lived in PIT, USAIRWAYS would be the last airline I would give MY BUSINESS to- afterall I will be paying for that airport for many years, along with my children and grandchildren. So in regards to making the citzens of PIT subject themselves to the BS of PHL........you must be Nuts!

I also love how folks bask the Post Gazette for an article about Usairways. Can someone PLEASE for the life of me tell us what Usairways has done to deserve an article of praise? I mean really. They offered a hub with nonstop routes to many destinations but fares were relatively high compared to the rest of the nation. Which if I might add had a hand in keeping O&D numbers DOWN. :huh: Yes they FORCED people to fly to other places like CLE to fly cheaper. Us pulling out has NOT had the drastic and devastating effect that USAIRWAYS not Allegheny County claimed. :rolleyes: Usairways did very little for the City of Pittsburgh, Allegheny County and surrounding area but offer employment (important) to those in the area. I don't think we'll see any good news articles about Userrorways any time soon. :lol:

Follow the money. And as an after thought.. there were many bases that contributed more to the bottom line that were closed.
As far as operational viablity?(better weather placing airplnes for the next day...etc)- there were many other bases that would be more suitable to running a better operation-that were closed. When at one time you had 5 bases within 500 miles of each other-that was madness. Pit unfortunately is now suffering the draw down that many have suffered before for example: BWI,MIA,LAX,SFO,LAX,SAN,SYC? who have I left out? Enjoy the time left. Some of us know what the writing on the wall looks like.

What you don't at all mention is marketing. You can market any airport and make it profitable. PHL does generate about 70 percent local traffic as I recall. However, If you market your product RIGHT, you can make money anywhere. The years of gauging the local traffic in PIT and other hubs is over. Low cost carriers such as SW and JB make it neccessary to be competitive. Problem is Doug doesn't know how to run a big airline. All he knows is his regional ways. Marketing is the key to any business.

Just my opinion...

Problem is Doug doesn't know how to run a big airline. All he knows is his regional ways. Marketing is the key to any business.
DUI (Dougie Under the Influence) should go run some crop dusting or helicopter tour company.....that's about his speed. Leave the big airlines to the big boys. And he should take his little lap dogs with him.

I also love how folks bask the Post Gazette for an article about Usairways. Can someone PLEASE for the life of me tell us what Usairways has done to deserve an article of praise? I don't think we'll see any good news articles about Userrorways any time soon. :lol:
Yeah that really cracks me up. The best is this thread....the bashing started and it was a letter to the editor. Some posters here have an attitude about PIT and it's almost comical when a post has the dreaded 3 letters P-I-T in it, all their panties get wadded up. No matter what the topic. We should type those three letters in every thread on this board. Send them all into convulsions....they'll all spontaneously combust.

And as far as the articles go, when US does something good, maybe we'll read about it. If that ever happens. And it's not like the PG is the only one reporting anything bad about US...not by a longshot-local or national.

Sunday morning news KDKA had a story about how PIT is growing due to low cost carriers....(not US) and JetBlue is adding more flights...Tempe Lies....

Latest posts