Post Office Suspends Mail Contract W/ Us & Aa

smfav8r said:
The USPS is fickle...who get's the mail for certain destinations changes often....all depends on schedule and how much said carrier can take. (major problem with RJ's and turbo-props on morning departures when most of the mail moves)

FEDEX stole the mail contract from Ryan a few years back....the INDY sort which used to be mostly Ryan 727's is now FEDEX...and I think that sort is still at night, not during the day.

[snip]
[post="248074"][/post]​

FYI, 700UW is right -- FedEx runs a day sort primarily for mail. The systems not as big as their full system night sort but still large.

Hope is also right that FedEx does not take bulk mail.

billyboy1967 said:
when the govt pulls the mail from an airline the end is near.when i started in avation in 1959 the old timers told me that there would .only be 2 major lines left in the usa.  us air will not be one of them .the board of directors of us air shoud be set adrift in middle of the alantic..
[post="248024"][/post]​

Isn't that how All-American started?

All American Aviation began service in May 1939, providing mail service to the Allegheny Mountain region of Pennsylvania

usairways_vote_NO said:
Isn't that how All-American started?

All American Aviation began service in May 1939, providing mail service to the Allegheny Mountain region of Pennsylvania
[post="248127"][/post]​

You are absolutely correct on this view Sir.

All US Commercial Aviation can trace its start back the delivery of the US Mail...prior to it being privatised , it was the US Army Air Corp flying it.

Many cities and towns can trace their very reason for having an airport at all back to the Air Mail Delivery service....and many more would have never landed commercial passenger service at all...had the Government not un-written the cost of flying into a particular place because of the US Mail.

Needless to say....When a Government Agency such as the USPS throws rocks at what you are doing..or rather NOT doing...it's a sad state of affairs indeed for any and all concerned here. Would one not think that other US Government Agencies aren't looking at these issues? I wonder how the ATSB will feel about this sudden loss of gauranteed revenue? How would the DOD feel about booking the Military on us?

Bottom Line...those whom have allowed U to laspe into this state of being need to be shown the door ...and once again...it's NOT Labor whom have allowed sub-contracting of local delivery...and its not Labor whom have neglected to pay the bills in order to insure prompt service

Yes! Let's talk about the military for a moment.

I think it's great that carriers like Colgan and Air Midwest pick up these EAS contracts and get guaranteed cash to fly routes. The downside to this is when you have an oversold Beechcraft 1900D with at least 19 military duffels and Aunt Millie's and Uncle Dave's overstuffed luggage. This is a typical scenario that happens at the end of the day in PIT. What's worse is when either Mainline baggage fails to bring duffels up from the landside terminal before departure, or even worse, when Express runners disappear from their work areas and the same baggage sits out in the open and misses the flight. The latter occurs far less frequently than the former.

Just like the mail, some of these EAS flights need larger planes to handle the loads.

Quick aside to Flying Titan: You bring up very good points in your post. I might take exception to your assessment of the USPS being "self-sustaining", but I agree with you otherwise. :)

Today the Charlotte Business Journal reported that the WSJ indicated data from the Bureau of Transportation Statistics showed US Airways received $6.1 million through the first nine months of 2004 for carrying mail.

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
Today the Charlotte Business Journal reported that the WSJ indicated data from the Bureau of Transportation Statistics showed US Airways received $6.1 million through the first nine months of 2004 for carrying mail.

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="248317"][/post]​

Hmm,

Another $6.1 Million lost...what would that mean for a full calender year? $10 Million perhaps? Not a problem for a stellar company like U...the giving employee's like USA320Pilot will reach right in their bottomless pockets and cover this and any other potential losses without even batting an eye. Why should this failure be handled any different than all the others?

700UW said:
Get ready for ROUND FOUR!
[post="248015"][/post]​

I dont think so!

Stop giving the lurkers on this BOARD future ideas..

:down: :ph34r:

If YOU WISH to DONATE, Have at it my friend..

And how much did it cost to bring in that $6.1M in mail revenue?

Perhaps the real way to look at this is to stop thinking of it as lost revenue, and start thinking of it as reduced losses....