Private Pilot Night Flight

sheldon_james

Nov 1, 2005
I was wondering if a private pilot can fly at night if he wants or does he need a night rating or something of that nature. Any help would be appreciated.

You can fly at night by yourself if you want to. I would advise taking a few refresser lessons if you haven't flown at night in while.

You can NOT fly passengers at night unless you have made at least three take offs and landings at night within 90 days.

Don't take my word for it, I'm just a newbie Private Pilot... Look it up in the FAR's

I was wondering if a private pilot can fly at night if he wants or does he need a night rating or something of that nature. Any help would be appreciated.

Here is what I was able to dig up for you. CFR 14 61.109(a)(2)-Airplane Single-Engine Rating and CFR 14 61.109(b.)(2)-Airplane Multiengine Rating both state:
(2) Except as provided in §61.110 of this part, 3 hours of night flight training in a multiengine airplane that includes—

(i) One cross-country flight of over 100 nautical miles total distance; and

(ii) 10 takeoffs and 10 landings to a full stop (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport.

The exception in 61.110 is if you recieve flight training and live in the State of Alaska.

Link to CFR 14 61.109

Hope that helps

In America, PPL certificate holder may certainly fly at night.
However, in order to carry passengers at night they must have
had three landings, to a full stop, in the previous 90 days.
Certainly they must also stay within their rated capabilities
regarding VFR and/or IFR certification.

In Europe, I believe things are much more restrictive for private
pilots, but not much of an issue for commercial or military.

Silent Warrior:
Isn't the information you quoted the requirements to complete for training, not after one receives the PPL?

Silent Warrior:
Isn't the information you quoted the requirements to complete for training, not after one receives the PPL?

Yes, those were the requirements to get a PPL w/o the Night Flying Prohibited limitation. I may have misunderstood the original question. Certainly, once you have the PPL you can fly so long as you meet your rating capabilities (VFR/IFR). You are correct with your previous post on the requirements needed to fly w/ passengers.

I apologize for any confusion. :rolleyes:

Yes it is completely legal to fly at night as long as it is VFR. I prefer to limit night flight as much as possible because it is much harder to find a suitable landing field in the case of an engine failure at night. I am also proabbly too cautious.

Yes it is completely legal to fly at night as long as it is VFR. I prefer to limit night flight as much as possible because it is much harder to find a suitable landing field in the case of an engine failure at night. I am also proabbly too cautious.
I prefer to air on the side of caution in the air.

Back