Privatization of Airports is now on the docket in a big way

Tim Nelson

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
Bartlett
Mayor Dailey just reached a deal with WN that guaranteed the airlines at Midway airport 6 years of favorable fees, provided the airport can be privatized. The City of Chicago plans on bringing in $3.5 billion by privatizing the airport with a 99 year lease to the winning bidder.

Not sure how this will turn out if the contractor sux real bad, but it presents an interesting thought for labor if airports start becoming privatized. Isn't the state of PA and all of its politicians working towards privatizing all the PA airports???

regards,

Mayor Dailey just reached a deal with WN that guaranteed the airlines at Midway airport 6 years of favorable fees, provided the airport can be privatized. The City of Chicago plans on bringing in $3.5 billion by privatizing the airport with a 99 year lease to the winning bidder.

Not sure how this will turn out if the contractor sux real bad, but it presents an interesting thought for labor if airports start becoming privatized. Isn't the state of PA and all of its politicians working towards privatizing all the PA airports???

regards,
Stewart Newburgh New York under military rule for years just turned over control to the NY Port Authority. now they are looking at expanding SWF into a major alternative to EWR JFK LGA. but they over 50 miles away dont know how that plays into what Dailey is doing . but im sure it all comes down to politics and of course its always Money talks and Bull #### walks..

Stewart Newburgh New York under military rule for years just turned over control to the NY Port Authority. now they are looking at expanding SWF into a major alternative to EWR JFK LGA. but they over 50 miles away dont know how that plays into what Dailey is doing . but im sure it all comes down to politics and of course its always Money talks and Bull #### walks..
I think with labor, if airports start getting privatized to raise money for the bankrupt state pension budgets, then it can negotiate a prevailing wage with the private contractor and incorporate that into CBA's. I think that is the vision of some unions as this will continue to play out in a mighty way over the next 5 years.

regards,

Based on what I have seen with some local Airports, this could be a disaster in the making. The local authority at my former station did some very questionable stuff without being privatized, so I can only imagine what they would do if they were let completly loose. They gave funding to new entrant carriers that came off the backs of Airlines that served the Airport for decades. Landing fees TRIPLED within months after the arrival of a new Airport director, and rent for offices and gates followed. I would have liked to see more accountabilty from the Airport if anything, certainly not less. :eek:

PVD is considered a quasi organization and the only way the new terminal got built back in the mid 90's was to spin the airport off from the state DOT. I would think that PHL would benefit quite a lot from not being a dumping ground for every city politicain's nephew and neice that can't even wipe their own ass. When I worked there back in '97and '98, I tried to get a job in the airport ops department for the city(which I happen to have here at PVD) and they had to hire someone's "nephew". I'm sure the airport is more safe with him in charge. :down:

This could be a huge thing if the local and state governments got involved. This way if an airline does something stupid the employees will be working for the next airline that pulls in to the gate. This will give the airport control of how the employees are paid. This would hopefully prevent having to deal with the PBGC also. Their are ups and downs with this, but more ups if done right. Lets hope that the local and state governments will take advantage of this and provide a more stable work force.

Yes the Port Authority seems to be what may become of ALL NY STATE airports. Is it a good thing? Can't say since they seem to privatize airport operations. I don't think this will affect the airlines. Just other workers or non-airline personnel. Like they do at other upstate hubs they are used to ease NYC congestion due to weather or air traffic. Example: In a fog situation in NYC planes may be diverted, temporarily, to, let's say, Rochester.

You got the politics right, btw.

Back