Question About Pic Time When Type-rated F/o

Skull-1

Dec 29, 2003
I have read SWA's interpretation of PIC time on the website and this differs slightly from what I have heard via some SWA and FAA folks I know. Can anyone shed some light on the following issue:

A pilot, type rated on a piece of equipment, flies that equipment as a First Officer. Can he log the legs in which he is the SOLE MANIPULATOR of the controls as Pilot In Command?

The MCO FSDO indicated that it is legal and correct to do so as long as you are "Current and qualified" on the type.

SWA's website seems to indicate, however, that if you do not "sign the can" then you are not the PIC.

Color me slightly confused. Thanks for any input in advance. Cheers!

No reason for confusion Skull.

The FAA interprets Part 91 in one way.

Southwest apparently reserves the right to interpret it another way. Just as some airlines ask their applicants to complete the flight-engineer written as a prerequisite for interview selection, Southwest narrows the field of THEIR applicants by requiring 1000 hours PIC turbine ... PIC being the person who signs for the aircraft.

(Much to my chagrin and dismay as a type rated former 737 first officer :( )

"Current and qualified "is correct but would include a PIC authorization (ala PIC checkride and training currency) if the flight is made under Pt. 121 or 135. In fact, there have been two cases that I am aware of where pilots were violated for logging pic time during 135 operations while they were typed in the aircraft, but only trained and qualified as an SIC by the operator.

Thanks, guys. That certainly helps me get a handle on it. I guess it doesn't matter who I get hired by, then, since I'll be an F/O even with a type. :(

I feel your pain...

Skull-1 said:
Thanks, guys. That certainly helps me get a handle on it. I guess it doesn't matter who I get hired by, then, since I'll be an F/O even with a type. :(

I feel your pain...
Skull,
I understand your confusion, but I'm not sure I understand this quote. If you got 73-typed by your employer, this is great. You (as all of us here at SWA) will be a type-rated FO anyway. The good thing is, someone else paid for it (I presume). While the type rating is important (and even a show stopper if you don't want to acquire one on your own), PIC time "in type" is NOT nearly as important is "turbine PIC" time.

Part of the confusion about logging PIC time could come from the concession SWA makes to the structure of military flying units where the aircraft commander is usually the senior person, regardless of WHEN one upgraded to aircraft commander. This greatly levels the playing field for junior officers in acquiring the necessary PIC time.

Best of luck. Hiring is really supposed to kick in around here.

Actually I'm typed in the ERJ and am looking to get hired somewhere as an F/O again. I'm just wondering if I should care whether or not to pick an ERJ operator or a CRJ operator. Apparently it doesn't matter since I can't log any PIC time in the ERJ even though typed unless I'm the Captain of record. :(

I probably should have stated in my second post that I would "be the SIC even with a type" i.e. unable to log my legs as PIC time.