Reding and Burdette - GONE

Amen. A pilot told me the other day that AMR has between 150-200 employees at the V-P or higher (exec v-p, sr. v-p, sr. exec v-p). Considering that when I was at Texaco, the entire corporation had about 50 people in that category, and we were making profits in the billions (on gasoline that sold between $.50 and $1.25 and jet fuel that languished at something like $.25/gal), it seems excessive to me.

Wrong, wrong, wrong... including Arpey, Horton & the guys at Eagle & the credit union, AMR had less than 50 VPs.

I've worked with Denise Lynn & Maya quite a bit -- they're a different breed of executives.

I didn't know Burdette, but guys like Hazy, Reding, and Ford all fell into the same mold of arrogance that Carty exhibited. I just don't see that in their successors.

One of my hopes for Arpey was that those personality types would have been run out of town. It didn't happen.

And there are a few more with that attitude who need to be run off. Not as many as some of you would think, though. My guess is about half a dozen.

One of my hopes for Arpey was that those personality types would have been run out of town. It didn't happen.

And there are a few more with that attitude who need to be run off. Not as many as some of you would think, though. My guess is about half a dozen.

It's working.. You're gone, right?

:p :p

Wrong, wrong, wrong... including Arpey, Horton & the guys at Eagle & the credit union, AMR had less than 50 VPs.
worked with Denise Lynn & Maya quite a bit -- they're a different breed of executives.

So, the pilot was wrong. However, below the level of V-P there is still an awful lot of management fat that could be trimmed. For instance, I saw a Flight Service organizational chart for DFW in the past. On the chart there was a Manager of Operations for each of the Terminals A, B, C, and D. On that same chart for each of those terminals, there was an Operations Manager. I asked the then V-P of Flight Service at a public meeting if those positions actually existed. She said that they did. So, I asked "What is the difference between the Manager of Operations for Terminal C and the Operations Manager for Terminal C?" Her response was that she would have to get back to me. I'm still waiting.

So, the pilot was wrong. However, below the level of V-P there is still an awful lot of management fat that could be trimmed. For instance, I saw a Flight Service organizational chart for DFW in the past. On the chart there was a Manager of Operations for each of the Terminals A, B, C, and D. On that same chart for each of those terminals, there was an Operations Manager. I asked the then V-P of Flight Service at a public meeting if those positions actually existed. She said that they did. So, I asked "What is the difference between the Manager of Operations for Terminal C and the Operations Manager for Terminal C?" Her response was that she would have to get back to me. I'm still waiting.

I couldn't tell you the difference either, Jim, but what I can tell you is that a L5 manager is a relatively cheap date, likely earning less than what an int'l purser earns in a year.

Aside from a quote that's been taken out of context, why should Brundage go?

Labor relations suck, but when you look at all the other stuff HR does, I just don't see AMR being a pit of misery.

"According to AMR's most recent proxy filing made in April 2011, Reding does not receive a cash bonus for retiring but does receive $2.13 million in long term incentives, $2.19 million in pension benefits and $1,734 in air travel benefits. Since Reding is over the age of sixty, he qualifies for his full retirement benefits which as of the end of 2010, he had $365,263 in a retirement benefit plan and $1,826,390 in the non-qualified plan which may be taken as a lump sum payment upon his retirement on Dec. 31."

So, with Mr. Reding receiving his pension "post" bankruptcy filing, does that mean our pensions are safe! <_<

"According to AMR's most recent proxy filing made in April 2011, Reding does not receive a cash bonus for retiring but does receive $2.13 million in long term incentives, $2.19 million in pension benefits and $1,734 in air travel benefits. Since Reding is over the age of sixty, he qualifies for his full retirement benefits which as of the end of 2010, he had $365,263 in a retirement benefit plan and $1,826,390 in the non-qualified plan which may be taken as a lump sum payment upon his retirement on Dec. 31."

I can't tell who you're quoting, what with no link or attribution, but whoever wrote that may be mistaken. He likely won't get everything.

So, with Mr. Reding receiving his pension "post" bankruptcy filing, does that mean our pensions are safe! <_<

Unless you are senior management or a pilot or you are already retired and did so early at a young age and at very high pay with a significant pension, yes, your pensions are safe, thanks to the PBGC guarantee.

I can't tell who you're quoting, what with no link or attribution, but whoever wrote that may be mistaken. He likely won't get everything.

Unless you are senior management or a pilot or you are already retired and did so early at a young age and at very high pay with a significant pension, yes, your pensions are safe, thanks to the PBGC guarantee.

http://blogs.star-telegram.com/sky_talk/2011/12/amr-executive-bob-reding-retires.html

There you go F. :rolleyes:

Funny how the TWU leveling plan and the APA Pilot A Plan Lump Sum option have been nixed by the Bk filing but the management pricks that have lead to this Chapter 11 filing still get all of their available options.

Can you believe it? :huh:

Reactions: 1 person
Over the past decade, American's management, often known for combative labor relationships with its pilots, forged some unusually close bonds with the union representing mechanics. As a way to increase productivity, the company went to unusual lengths to get union sign-offs for schedule and procedural changes on the hangar floor. Labor-management teams drafted collaborative work plans, joint budgets and in some cases, union officials even had what amounted to a veto over certain personnel decisions.

AMR Gets New Cockpit Crew

http://blogs.star-telegram.com/sky_talk/2011/12/amr-executive-bob-reding-retires.html

There you go F. :rolleyes:

Funny how the TWU leveling plan and the APA Pilot A Plan Lump Sum option have been nixed by the Bk filing but the management pricks that have lead to this Chapter 11 filing still get all of their available options.

Can you believe it? :huh:

Since Reding is over age 60, he can get his pension without any age-reduction. I'm fairly certain that he will not get a lump sum for his qualified pension (just like the pilots can no longer get a lump sum). His monthly pension is no doubt in excess of the PBGC limits and when the pension is terminated and the PBGC takes over, his monthly pension will be trimmed.

Don't know how well-funded the SERP is right now or whether AA will give him his entire balance. I wouldn't assume that he's going to get the full amount next week.

If "anyone that contributed to the BK needs to go!!!" how about the unions leaders to reneged on tentative agreements or (in the pilots case) turned them down flat?

Don't they have some responsibility in this?

Ummmm.....no.

Sorry, but the people being paid millions to manage the airline shoulder the responsibility of the financial well being of the airline. I realize that doesn't fit into your "blame the unions" fantasy world, but that's reality.

Reactions: 1 person