Ruling Clears Way For Teamsters,

Checking it Out

Veteran
Apr 3, 2003
Ruling clears way for Teamsters to include carrier's jet cleaners

By David Kesmodel, Rocky Mountain News
February 24, 2004

The International Brotherhood of Teamsters has won the right to represent Frontier Airlines' airplane cleaners, over the objections of the carrier.

In a 2-1 vote, the National Mediation Board upheld its Oct. 9 ruling that the more than 100 cleaners belong to the same class of workers as Frontier mechanics, who voted to join the union in 2001.

Denver-based Frontier had filed an appeal, arguing the cleaners have substantially different job duties than the 381 mechanics. It also said the cleaners did not get to vote on representation.

In support of Frontier's appeal, about 80 percent of the cleaners signed a petition saying they objected to being absorbed by the union.

The Teamsters argued a representation vote was unnecessary because the workers were part of the "mechanics and related employee craft and class."

The mediation board, which oversees labor relations in the airline industry, said in Friday's ruling that it found Frontier's cleaners, like its mechanics, mainly perform maintenance-related work.

The board also said it did not take into account the petition from workers who were opposed to unionization. It never has weighed petitions in such cases, it said. Instead, the board focuses on whether the workers in question have similar job functions.

Frontier's cleaners, whose pay starts at about $9 an hour, are known as "aircraft appearance agents" and "maintenance cleaners." The appearance agents clean aircraft cabins and restock pillows and blankets. Cleaners clean the exterior and interior of jets and wash aircraft parts.

The board's assertion that the workers fall into the mechanics' class follows similar rulings at other airlines, including United, Denver's dominant carrier.

Frontier spokesman Joe Hodas said the company was disappointed by the decision. The airline is considering fighting the action in a federal court, he said.

U.S. Rep. Bob Beauprez, an Arvada Republican, said he was troubled by the ruling. He had submitted a letter to the mediation board supporting Frontier's appeal.

"I don't have any problem with folks organizing, but I find the logic real peculiar when you have 80 percent of (the cleaners) saying they don't want" representation, he said. "I have a real serious problem with the heavy-handed government coming in and telling people what to do."

The Teamsters union is pleased with the ruling and already has spoken with Frontier about starting talks on a contract for the workers, said Matthew Fazakas, president of Teamsters Local 961 in Denver. The local will represent the cleaners.

"This (ruling) upholds the mediation board's policies for the last 50 years regarding the employees' rights to organize," he said. Frontier's cleaners want to be represented by the Teamsters, he argued.

Two other labor groups at Frontier are unionized: the pilots and flight dispatchers. Frontier's flight attendants have rejected representation by the Association of Flight

Checking it Out said:
The Teamsters argued a representation vote was unnecessary because the workers were part of the "mechanics and related employee craft and class."
Wow thats rough....a vote is unnecessary??? Sounds like a load to me. :rolleyes:

jocko87 said:
Checking it Out said:
Wow thats rough....a vote is unnecessary??? Sounds like a load to me. :rolleyes:
At least the Teamsters did not say they would have a vote only not to be given said vote. Unlike the Teamster membership, twu members are still waiting for our FULL REVOTE!