Rumor of Further Reduction in PIT?

flyguy121

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
Don't anyone get hysterical, because at this point it's just a rumor...

but I've heard that 300 more F/A's are expected to be displaced from PIT at the end of the year (around December or so) thereby making the supposed 230 recalls that were projected for December return, iffy at best and unlikely at worst.

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything similar?

Heck, none of us in PIT knows what will happen. But in the latest newsletter Doug did say he was happy with the number of flights at PIT..no more or no less required. I know that does not always equate to the maintaining of a crew base..but is good news to at least hear those sentiments. Best. Greeter.

Doug Parker recently told a group of pilots at a Crew News meeting that an airline of US Airways' size had too many crew bases. In my opinion, PIT is a candidate to be closed following the operational consolidation.

I believe PHX, LAS, CLT, and PHL will remain crew bases and DCA, LGA, & BOS too because of the Shuttle. Shuttle expenses go up more than $3 million per year with crews flying multi-day trips, which is one of the reasons why the current parings have virtually all Shuttle flying done with one-day pairings. The current scheduling plan and the triangle flying patterns was created by Brent Wilke (prior to him leaving the company), ALPA (Chip Mayer), and the company's consultant Walter Darr.

With that said, Parker also indicated the EMB-190 would be a good candidate to replace CLT Mesa CRJ-900 flying and some Shuttle flying. It's unclear at this time if Andrew Norcella will put the EMB-190 on the Shuttle "off peak" only, all Shuttle flying, or keep the A319s in place.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

It wouldn't surprise anyone if they displaced more f/a's out of PIT. The 80 active they have already displaced probably will make little difference. Maybe for the summer the reserves may fly more due to vacation time, blkholders just wanting to be home. With any luck there will be more ETB time available for reserves.

Latest posts