SANDY

delldude

Veteran
Oct 29, 2002
Downrange
www.youtube.com
With the Northeast blindsided and caught totally off guard by extreme weather not often felt in these parts, I sincerely hope rescue and disaster assistance get rolling. It is looking once again like big government is failing the citizens.
In the time it took for Sandy to roll up the coast there seems to be little if any prepositioning of vital items.
Generators given to news crews, candy bars and coffee but no blankets, FEMA is out of water until Monday.....its quite shocking.

I see Red Cross getting blamed but they subsist on contributions and if they are low is this due to the economic conditions in the country?

Even FEMA is low on cash.

Reactions: 1 person
This doesn't help matters either !

"Non-Union Alabama Utility Workers Denied Entry into New Jersey!"
http://www.thegatewa...and-down-video/

Want a "Pro-Union State" NJ? Then reap what you sow!

Guess Barrack can't step in, since the peeps who rejected these Utility workers help, are the same peeps who vote for him !

Wonder if the people without electricity give a rat's ass whether a union or non-union employee gets their power back up and running ?

Dog? Care to add one of your one liners here, pointing fingers and laughing , instead of commenting on the topic ? WAIT!..............that would take more than one sentence.............nevermind !

With the Northeast blindsided and caught totally off guard
What? They were predicting this disastrous storm:

From 10/25:
---------------------
"Forecasters are now saying there is a 90 percent chance beginning Sunday through Halloween day that the coast could see gale-force winds, heavy rain, flooding and potentially snow.

It has even been compared to the so-called “Perfect Storm” that struck off the coast of New England in 1991, although National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration forecaster Jim Cisco told the Associated Press the area impacted was less populous and is not truly comparable to what the East Coast could see into next week.

“The Perfect Storm only did $200 million of damage and I’m thinking a billion,” said Jeff Masters, meteorology director of the private service Weather Underground. “Yeah, it will be worse.”"
----------------------------–-----------
Sandy was probably one of the most predicted storm in history and people still failed to heed warning. It is amazing that with 8 million without power immediately after the storm that almost 6 million have had there power restored.

You say "big government is failing its citizens". Amazing. I lived through Katrina, Rita, Ike, and I have never seen the amount of assets and resources being thrown at the Sandy storm area. FEMA was nowhere for at least 3 days after the storms passed then. Sandy they were on the ground in the area before the storm hit.

We were without power for 14 days after Rita, and 10 days after Ike (the power companies learned a little). However, we were prepared each time because we actually listened to the forecasters and took the necessary precautions (vehicles full of fuel, plenty of non-perishable foods, etc).

It seems that Christie is doing a great job with what he has been dealt. He had a large number of idiots who failed to prepare or even evacuate when they could have. They are the ones who scream the loudest when there is nobody around as soon as the clouds break, when they were told it would be days before anyone could reach them after the storm passed.

So you are now for big government when it is someone closer to you who wants the hand out?

I am also not sure if you know what FEMA's mission is.

From the FEMA home page:

"FEMA is not the team, but part of a team. That team includes federal partners, state, tribal and local officials, the private sector, non-profits and faith-based groups and the general public."

Of course you could listen to one of the Mitt Romney's and either do away with the immoral FEMA, or support them more.

Reactions: 3 people

Guess Barrack can't step in, since the peeps who rejected these Utility workers help, are the same peeps who vote for him !

Wonder if the people without electricity give a rat's ass whether a union or non-union employee gets their power back up and running ?

Dog? Care to add one of your one liners here, pointing fingers and laughing , instead of commenting on the topic ? WAIT!..............that would take more than one sentence.............nevermind !
Last time I checked that would be Chris Christie's call, and he is a republican, Obama isnt in charge of NJ.

Obama really has no role in all this, yet he's trying to make the uneducated voters believe he's running the whole thing....

Oh, and FEMA ran out of water. Seriously.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/11/02/FEMA-Still-Doesn-t-Have-Bottled-Water-to-Distribute-Finally-Places-Large-Order-Today-for-Delivery-Monday

And people question why someone might want to consider turning some aspects of disaster relief over to Walmart or any number of other commercial entities which could have been staging and delivering supplies far more efficiently than FEMA?...

Obama really has no role in all this, yet he's trying to make the uneducated voters believe he's running the whole thing....

Oh, and FEMA ran out of water. Seriously.

http://www.breitbart...Delivery-Monday

And people question why someone might want to consider turning some aspects of disaster relief over to Walmart or any number of other commercial entities which could have been staging and delivering supplies far more efficiently than FEMA?...

Breitbart Eric ?
Please,.........give me a F--BREAK !!!!!

(Last time I checked, ol' ANDREW was 'Pushin' up Daisy's') Good Riddence- R I P !

As someone who has actually gone through Sandy and felt her wrath allow me to offer some commentary.

Governor Christie has been on this like stink on manure from long before it actually hit. In the state of NJ, they have gone from nearly 1,000 closed state highways to 5 as of yesterday. State crews are now being redeployed to assist county road crews. The "Union Thuggery" has been minimal as Gov. Christie stuck his nose in and made a few things plain to the top Union leaders and the Leaders put a stop to it quick, fast & in a hurry. NY AFAIK has had no such conversations and isolated incidents continue.

2.7 million homes and businesses were without power on Monday. By Friday that number was under a million with NJ Central Power & Light having most of the outagages. NJCPL has long held a reputation as being unresponsive which apparently continues. I do know that the Gov has tried to light a fire under their ass and has had some success. There are now several web sites people can go to and click on the link for their power conmpany and find out exactly when power is supposed to be restored by community.

Most schools will be open Monday, contingency plans for voting are in place if certain polling places don't have power back.

Keep in mind that the barrier Islands are in a word, TOAST! One is split completely in half with Barnegat Bay & the ocean creating a new inlet as a result of Sandy. I'm told that many houses in my old neighborhood have 2 to 4 feet of sand inside.

All in All the job done by the state has been between very good and excellent. There have been some issues with FEMA, but IMO they are minimal. Same with the Union BS.

You hear that kind o0f crap because of the 24 hour news cycle and the number of media outlets. There will NEVER be a perfect response to an event like Sandy, however I think the aftermath is going as well as can be expected.

Too bad its not true. Then again this is some what par for the course with you. Are you just not concerned with the accuracy of what you post or are you really incapable of researching anything you post? You posting history shows that at the very least you are intellectually dishonest, at worst an ignorant liar.

Reactions: 2 people
What? They were predicting this disastrous storm:

From 10/25:
---------------------
"Forecasters are now saying there is a 90 percent chance beginning Sunday through Halloween day that the coast could see gale-force winds, heavy rain, flooding and potentially snow.

It has even been compared to the so-called "Perfect Storm" that struck off the coast of New England in 1991, although National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration forecaster Jim Cisco told the Associated Press the area impacted was less populous and is not truly comparable to what the East Coast could see into next week.

"The Perfect Storm only did $200 million of damage and I'm thinking a billion," said Jeff Masters, meteorology director of the private service Weather Underground. "Yeah, it will be worse.""
----------------------------–-----------
Sandy was probably one of the most predicted storm in history and people still failed to heed warning. It is amazing that with 8 million without power immediately after the storm that almost 6 million have had there power restored.

You say "big government is failing its citizens". Amazing. I lived through Katrina, Rita, Ike, and I have never seen the amount of assets and resources being thrown at the Sandy storm area. FEMA was nowhere for at least 3 days after the storms passed then. Sandy they were on the ground in the area before the storm hit.

We were without power for 14 days after Rita, and 10 days after Ike (the power companies learned a little). However, we were prepared each time because we actually listened to the forecasters and took the necessary precautions (vehicles full of fuel, plenty of non-perishable foods, etc).

It seems that Christie is doing a great job with what he has been dealt. He had a large number of idiots who failed to prepare or even evacuate when they could have. They are the ones who scream the loudest when there is nobody around as soon as the clouds break, when they were told it would be days before anyone could reach them after the storm passed.

So you are now for big government when it is someone closer to you who wants the hand out?

I am also not sure if you know what FEMA's mission is.

From the FEMA home page:

"FEMA is not the team, but part of a team. That team includes federal partners, state, tribal and local officials, the private sector, non-profits and faith-based groups and the general public."

Of course you could listen to one of the Mitt Romney's and either do away with the immoral FEMA, or support them more.

How come you can't do anything to your property until 'part of the team' tells you you can?
Lot of people must have missed the boat on the most covered storm of the millennium wouldn't you say?
So much for prepositioned provisions.
Nobody In Coney Island, Queens, Staten island until a day ago.
Looting and such in Coney, Queens and Staten Island but Bloomberg doesn't want armed Guardsmen on the street, only NYPD.
Where's the national guard water buffalo's and meal tents? They can be brought in by helo and set up quickly but it seems they're cold and hungry still in NYC.
Katrina at least it was warm.

Looks like Big Government in many ways worked like that fateful night in Iran under Carter.