SARS Advice for Tourist

JAR66_B2

Mar 12, 2003
Just wondering what everyone''s perception of the SARS outbreak in Canada is?

I''m due to be coming over next week for a well earned holiday and am determined not to let this put me off. But I am getting some hassle from colleagues at work about it, and am also a bit concerned about any other travel plans I might have this year if they see a Canadian stamp in my passport. From what I can see, the risks are low unless you''re in direct contact with someone that has contracted it, so why miss out the opportunity to visit you''re country (1st of many this year!).

What views do you people have?

This can''t be good news for AC in these unfortunate times. I know my company has cancelled some flights to the far east already and are rejigging crew stopovers etc.

Thanks for any input.

I wouldn''t let it stop you from coming to visit Canada. It would be different if you were travelling through the Orient, but even there it isn''t as bad as the news makes it out to be. There is so much hype surrounding SARS, when you consider the population of the US for instance, they have 150 cases. (in a population of 300,000,000 and no deaths) The flu kills more each year than SARS has, yet flights don''t stop during a flu epidemic. Most of the SARS deaths have been in Ontario, so if you are concerned, then avoid Ontario. Go to the West Coast, or travel around Alberta. Better scenery, friendly people, great beer.

Cheers

man_grilling_hamburgers.gif

I have family in healthcare and they are all saying that it is personal contact. So unless you are planning on visiting the emergency wards, which have been shut down anyway, or some people in self quarantine, you''ll be just fine.

Better stay off the Beers then if I wanna avoid the Hospital . I''m not too concerned but just got thinking seeing the hassle I was getting from some people at work lately.

I''d love to go to the west coast but unfortunately, I don''t get free accomodation and Beer there (Family and all). So it''s gotta be Ontario

Latest posts