Service to Georgia

I think there is an Aircraft Maintenance vendor at MCN. I forget their name, but I recall reading that the State of GA just spent some money to expand the airport for the vendor to accomodate larger aircraft and that America West contracts some 737 maintenance to them... Maybe SWA is looking at some aircraft maintenance from that vendor as well?

I think there is an Aircraft Maintenance vendor at MCN. I forget their name, but I recall reading that the State of GA just spent some money to expand the airport for the vendor to accomodate larger aircraft and that America West contracts some 737 maintenance to them... Maybe SWA is looking at some aircraft maintenance from that vendor as well?

Sure, but some folks are willing to drive from CLT to RDU for cheap fares - that's 130 miles.[BR][BR]In any event, [STRONG]lownslow[/STRONG] may have put the finger on the problem. AirTran seems to be doing OK there and is slowly expanding. The addition of the TWs old 717s will also contribute to reducing the airline's cost structure since it can now park the older DC-9s and increase efficiencies through 1) total fleet commonality, and 2) economies of scale efficiency.

Sure, but some folks are willing to drive from CLT to RDU for cheap fares - that's 130 miles.[BR][BR]In any event, [STRONG]lownslow[/STRONG] may have put the finger on the problem. AirTran seems to be doing OK there and is slowly expanding. The addition of the TWs old 717s will also contribute to reducing the airline's cost structure since it can now park the older DC-9s and increase efficiencies through 1) total fleet commonality, and 2) economies of scale efficiency.

Yes, some CLT people drive 130 miles to catch cheaper fares out of RDU. But RDU doesn't *depend* on that traffic. RDU generates a great deal of its own traffic. Macon hasn't supported much service in decades.

And again (as has been said so many times about Southwest) just because a possible option *may* be profitable, that does not mean it should be the next move for WN. They have much bigger fish to fry.

Yes, some CLT people drive 130 miles to catch cheaper fares out of RDU. But RDU doesn't *depend* on that traffic. RDU generates a great deal of its own traffic. Macon hasn't supported much service in decades.

And again (as has been said so many times about Southwest) just because a possible option *may* be profitable, that does not mean it should be the next move for WN. They have much bigger fish to fry.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/6/2002 7:21:47 PM mturpiz wrote:

----------------
[/blockquote]

Agree. The Atlanta area lacks a suitable 'secondary' airport along the lines of Midway, Hobby, or Love. If there was one, Herb would've already been there, and Critter would probably have never gotten off the ground.
JMHO.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/6/2002 7:21:47 PM mturpiz wrote:

----------------
[/blockquote]

Agree. The Atlanta area lacks a suitable 'secondary' airport along the lines of Midway, Hobby, or Love. If there was one, Herb would've already been there, and Critter would probably have never gotten off the ground.
JMHO.

There is a large MTX facility in Macon. Very very small terminal. The facility is capable of doing DC8 and L1011 aircraft. Certainly enough to do a 737. I think it was/is being used to service Kalitta/Kittyhawk/American International aircraft.[BR][BR]Dont forget, Lockheed won a very very lucrative govermental contract, beating Boeing, to build the F22! Where do you think it is to be built? There is and will be a very happening place for engineers and the like! A lot of business and Govt traffic. That drive from ATL is a Pain in the butt. All Highway and it draggs on and on and on.[BR][BR]Macon 2 BWI might be a great route?[BR][BR]Also, Macon is a pretty decent size city. Pretty good infrastructure, good population and growing rapidly. Many many many people are leaving ATL to go to MCN because it could be a great place to live. The people could also profit from having a low cost carrier in their back yard. The Airport is close to Lockheed and Warner Robbins.[BR][BR]I think it is right up SWA's Alley;)[BR][BR]PS, My wife is from Macon also!:))

There is a large MTX facility in Macon. Very very small terminal. The facility is capable of doing DC8 and L1011 aircraft. Certainly enough to do a 737. I think it was/is being used to service Kalitta/Kittyhawk/American International aircraft.[BR][BR]Dont forget, Lockheed won a very very lucrative govermental contract, beating Boeing, to build the F22! Where do you think it is to be built? There is and will be a very happening place for engineers and the like! A lot of business and Govt traffic. That drive from ATL is a Pain in the butt. All Highway and it draggs on and on and on.[BR][BR]Macon 2 BWI might be a great route?[BR][BR]Also, Macon is a pretty decent size city. Pretty good infrastructure, good population and growing rapidly. Many many many people are leaving ATL to go to MCN because it could be a great place to live. The people could also profit from having a low cost carrier in their back yard. The Airport is close to Lockheed and Warner Robbins.[BR][BR]I think it is right up SWA's Alley;)[BR][BR]PS, My wife is from Macon also!:))

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/7/2002 8:56:28 PM gogogadget wrote:

Dont forget, Lockheed won a very very lucrative govermental contract, beating Boeing, to build the F22! Where do you think it is to be built? There is and will be a very happening place for engineers and the like! A lot of business and Govt traffic.
[/blockquote]

Assuming, of course, that the vastly overbudget even by bloated Pentagon standards F-22 project doesn't wind up getting axed entirely in favor of the next-generation JSF. There have been rumblings to that effect, so we'll see...

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/7/2002 8:56:28 PM gogogadget wrote:

Dont forget, Lockheed won a very very lucrative govermental contract, beating Boeing, to build the F22! Where do you think it is to be built? There is and will be a very happening place for engineers and the like! A lot of business and Govt traffic.
[/blockquote]

Assuming, of course, that the vastly overbudget even by bloated Pentagon standards F-22 project doesn't wind up getting axed entirely in favor of the next-generation JSF. There have been rumblings to that effect, so we'll see...

Forget Macon. Stupid rumor. It's beem surveyed like 100 other cities. Not in the top 20 or even the top 3 for ATL catchment.

Forget Macon. Stupid rumor. It's beem surveyed like 100 other cities. Not in the top 20 or even the top 3 for ATL catchment.

"Dont forget, Lockheed won a very very lucrative govermental contract, beating Boeing, to build the F22! Where do you think it is to be built? There is and will be a very happening place for engineers and the like! A lot of business and Govt traffic. That drive from ATL is a Pain in the butt. All Highway and it draggs on and on and on"

The F22 is being built at Lockheed's Marietta plant, right next to the C130 line. The Boenig plant at MCN does some component work on the C17. With traffic it's a long hour from airport to airport. From most of Atlanta you are looking at a good 2+ hour drive to get to MCN.

The only good canidates for SW service in North Ga are both off limits, PDK and Gwinnett Co. The NIMBYS around PDK think a larger 737 has to make more noise than those little Biz Jets that fly there now. As far as Gwinnett, rumor has it DL had a hand in securing the no service clause when the runway was lengthed back in the late 80's Athens to the east is about as attractive as MCN.