SHARES/QIK keyboards

This merger is affecting every single one of us in every single dept. We are ALL being stretched to the limit. We ALL have to work together and quit complaining that it is hardest on us. It is hard on all of us.
Geek
Well said ma'am. I've seen some strange things occur here and I've only been around since May. I read a lot about how different stations are affected. Hey, have you heard anything about the Tourscape upgrade to DB v10? o_O

Well said ma'am. I've seen some strange things occur here and I've only been around since May. I read a lot about how different stations are affected. Hey, have you heard anything about the Tourscape upgrade to DB v10? o_O
I haven't but Mike H. would be able to answer that question for you.
Geek

In the mean time yes, the front line people will have to do things a little different.
Geek
As usual the agents have to deal with the problems of prior and present management. Management seem to know the agents will always work things out and make it happen with what ever that give us to work with. Saber transition was a nightmare but the agents and dispatchers held the company together. Same old story try this and see if we can get by on the cheap.

Amen brother or sister

Trust me everybody will be celebrating when we all go to one res system. So many problems are related to using dual systems. After that we can go full speed with OUR OWN improvements to SHARES. Many projects were put on hold due to the merger. The biggest I can think of are gate readers.

which we have on the east side. They're lil guns hanging from the side of the computer.

And when I said EDS, I'm not referring to the outsourced USAirways system.. i'm referring to the parent developer of Shares.

Instead of telling EDS/Shares what we need, they just accepted the platform "as is" instead of adding the goodies the airline will need to function properly.

that's the one benefit to the USAir-East systems: they are used to handling a 400+ jet operation.

Also a dozen or so dailies to Mexico, flights to YVR, YYZ, YEG, YYC... yeah, HP never flew anywhere international. :rolleyes:

I could have sworn I've seen gate-reader equipment at America West stations, but I've never seen agents actually use them. Was there a test install at a few places that never went beyond the trial stage?

I can't agree with the "less superior" statment. :p :blink:
But I can add something to the passport reader issue.
HP's standard is a regular qwert keyport. Stations with flights to international destinations had a seperate passport reader that is attached to the pc.
But two issues come with this.
1. a serial port must be available to be able to connect it to. ( If the pc has 2 printers already attached this is a problem.)
2. We had a very limited amount of these units available.
I don't know any other information on how this is going to be addressed but I do know this is being talked about.
I know they were going to try and reuse the old keyboards but there is an issue with drivers to be able to run them.
Understand you are going from windows 95/98 that has NO security to Windows XP on a Active Directory Domain. (very tight security)
So there is a lot of issues with the conversion.
For those who don't understand what is involved I am sure it looks like it should be easy. But for those that have half a clue should understand just how daunting a job this is to make everything work together until they convert over everything to Shares.

You have got to be either whacked or drinking the koolaid in a very serious manner.

Why ever would you dumb morons keep trying to use Windows?

Quit trying to justify the various, sundry and pathetic versions of Windows their multiple (actually, the word, multiple, does the failings no justice) failings. Why do geeks like you try to prop a failed product? Is it because that is all you know, a failed OS?

Dump the fecal matter and actually do something that works. Like the GOP, quit making excuses and make it work!!! Get it?

Look, I am certain there is a certain attempt to protect that which you know, your M$ certification must mean something. Well, it doesn't. It is dead-end tech. It is one of the reasons this very website is somewhat unstable. You have to duct-tape and wire it together to make it conform to standards, something you would not have to do with any other operating system.

"Shares" is unstable beyond about ten nodes. Proved time and again. Dump it!!! Heck, even the Mac OS is better!!!! and cheaper, hardware as well as software.

I know people who wallow in procedures from on old, a curiousity, at best. No one in their right mind would use those procedures today, especially for a business.

So, why would you use obsolete Windows, any flavor?

You have got to be either whacked or drinking the koolaid in a very serious manner.

Why ever would you dumb morons keep trying to use Windows?

Quit trying to justify the various, sundry and pathetic versions of Windows their multiple (actually, the word, multiple, does the failings no justice) failings. Why do geeks like you try to prop a failed product? Is it because that is all you know, a failed OS?

Dump the fecal matter and actually do something that works. Like the GOP, quit making excuses and make it work!!! Get it?

Look, I am certain there is a certain attempt to protect that which you know, your M$ certification must mean something. Well, it doesn't. It is dead-end tech. It is one of the reasons this very website is somewhat unstable. You have to duct-tape and wire it together to make it conform to standards, something you would not have to do with any other operating system.

"Shares" is unstable beyond about ten nodes. Proved time and again. Dump it!!! Heck, even the Mac OS is better!!!! and cheaper, hardware as well as software.

I know people who wallow in procedures from on old, a curiousity, at best. No one in their right mind would use those procedures today, especially for a business.

So, why would you use obsolete Windows, any flavor?
What the hell are you smoking to go and make a post like that? Go run your MAC stuff elsewhere, like www.macsucks.com kthx!

A few flight's to Mexico and Candada are not proper international flights.. U.S is used to Europe etc thats why Sabre and the Passport readers is a better system.. Poor PHL got to put all these in manually now for there intl flights.. going backwards.. The U.S Airways Way!!

As usual the agents have to deal with the problems of prior and present management. Management seem to know the agents will always work things out and make it happen with what ever that give us to work with.

I was going to chide Geek (nicely) for "front line people will just have to deal with it", but you said it for me. Yes, the front line people will make it work. At least the PATT workstations are finally going away. (But the again some of them had passport readers. :D ) All the tech talk aside, I am surprised that adding a relatively simple feature can be such an issue.

I guess we'll be dealing with manual entry of CC and passports for the forseeable. :(

One a side note, it true that the company pays a lower CC handling fee when numbers are swiped rather than typed in?

Also a dozen or so dailies to Mexico, flights to YVR, YYZ, YEG, YYC... yeah, HP never flew anywhere international. :rolleyes:

I could have sworn I've seen gate-reader equipment at America West stations, but I've never seen agents actually use them. Was there a test install at a few places that never went beyond the trial stage?

Early 1990 HP got an OLD KLM 747-200 and started service PHX/LAS/HNL/HGO ( Nagoya, Japan ) I am not sure how long it lasted but I do remember flying into PHX and seeing a HP 747. You can find pics of this A/C on www.airliners.net

Latest posts

Back