Sjc-tpe/sfo-ogg

AC AA LA FA

Veteran
Aug 21, 2002
mars
www.usaviation.com
Dont want to start any nasty rumors-but-Bay Area sales let the cat out of the bag-so to speek that 6/04 SJC-TPE returns and SFO-OGG starting. The first a revanue maker in cargo alone and the second more so a needed AAdgantage "burn off" maket/low yeild-high density trip-
Anyone else -can we either conf this or dismiss as rumor-

If true, a great set of routes, but I wonder about SJC TPE? Would seem that there is not too much connecting traffic at SJC.

Are you kidding? SJC has tons of feeder flights! I went to Tokyo in October out off there and it was a very busy airport.

L1011Ret said:
If true, a great set of routes, but I wonder about SJC TPE? Would seem that there is not too much connecting traffic at SJC.
Don't know about connecting traffic, but SJC is at the heart of Silicone Valley and Taiwan is a major computer manufacturing site. There is a potential for a lot of O&D traffic on that route.

fliboi78 said:
Are you kidding? SJC has tons of feeder flights! I went to Tokyo in October out off there and it was a very busy airport.
Exactly. Flights to/from ORD, DFW, JFK, LAX, SAN, BOS (AUS used to be on the list - don't remember if it still is) looks like a lot of big cities to me - with lots of potential connecting feed. And that assumes that the Bay Area can't support a daily flight to Taiwan on its own (ignoring any feed).

I think we will be seeing a lot of expansion to the Pacific Rim from AA. The new route LAX-NRT and SJC-TPE returning, this is only the beginning. AA is also planning to start ORD-HKG, if they can get a deal set with the pilots on their long-haul agreement.

SJC-TPE and SJC-CDG were both part of the post 9/11 cutbacks.

There should be more than enough O&D traffic for SJC to support this service without feed from elsewhere. The Chinese population in the South Bay is so high that they have their own shopping centers. Some Silicon Valley schools have as much as 80% Chinese enrollment. I don't know what the mix is of this population between Taiwan, Hong Kong and mainland.

My company does a lot of business with Taiwan -- there's a lot more than just computers going on there and the SFO-TPE flights have heavy loads from what I hear from our employees and Taiwanese visitors -- Eva, China Airlines, Singapore and United all serve that route.

My hunch is that this may be a more lucrative route for AA than Tokyo is, but they must protect their SJC-NRT route authority or I believe they could lose it, and at the least they'd lose their NRT slots and good slots there are hard to come by.

As for the Maui stuff, well everybody out here is serving Maui. Aloha does it out of OAK with 737's!

For anyone worried about feeding SJC pacific growth dont forget the new codeshare with AS.
SJC to BOI SEA PDX TUS
and maybe soon YVR PHX a CRJ70 to RNO
and AA could add DEN (Which would make DEN a focus city between both codes)

i've just read in usa today that american is very interested along with united and continental in starting a direct flight, most likely from san francisco to hanoi. it said that the us governtment is over there now accessing how secure it is but that both vietnam airlines and the american carriers wanted to start flying there by the end of the year.

Gooney Bird said:
For anyone worried about feeding SJC pacific growth dont forget the new codeshare with AS.
SJC to BOI SEA PDX TUS
No much longer for the latter route. Horizon drops TUS-SJC with the time change, and drops their other route to SFO by summer. Alaska/Horizon's TUS service shrinks to one sole TUS-SEA AS flight for the summer. Unknown whether Horizon will return in the fall.

Don't want to burst any bubbles here but when AA flew SJC-TPE they had VERY low LF's and that route was the first one cancelled after 9/11. AA's experience with that route could not have been very good.

Latest posts