Slush --a Quick Way To Have A Heart Attack

otooley

Mar 11, 2003
Hi Folks

Just thouht I'd give you all something to read. The forum seems to be a little slow of late.If everyone threw in a yarn or two she'd be great and we'd get it rocking again.

Slush......I absolutely detest the bloody stuff. Many years ago when I was a young guy with lots of stamina, I used to do Contract Mining Claim staking.Great job!!! Really loved it.....No Bullpoop!......Anyways.....My Father flew me out to this Lake in the wintertime to stake a group of claims.We landed on this lake and wound up being bogged down in the friggen slush....Slush from Hell...if that's possible. We jacked up the 180 using cut balsam and while Dad cleaned up the skis,I snowshoed a runway for about a 1000 feet.We planned on spending the night,and Dad would bugger off in the morning after the runway froze.Just after I had made the runway,along comes a screaming Norseman....spots us...thinks we have pranged up the 180 and lands beside us......He realizes we're in SLUSH...and firewalls the a/c......Drove right over my fargin runway.....Totally screwed it....Ruts were 2 feet high......He buggered off...and I donned my snowshoes for runway #2........Later back in the snakepit in Red Lake we had a good laugh with the pilot of the Norseman.........I still hate Slush.....Otooley

This reminds Me of the time My pilot (helicopter) was bored and went ice fishing and the easiest place to drill the hole was the end of the runway.

Bad idea.

The next hole was 20 feet from Our cabin ( also on the lake) even a worse idea.

We had to relocate on land when there was 6 inches of water in the cabin. :oops: :elvis:

You ain't never been in slush until you've been bogged down in it for a few days with a DC-3. :eek:

How true.

Especially when you went to bed it was sitting on top of the snow, and in the morning it is resting on one wing, with one of the wheel ski's deep down in newly frozen slush...

Oh the joy of working for several days getting the thing back on a solid surface...Austin Airways.. in POV ....1968

Rev. Chas W.

One time I landed in some slush on a river and after we landed back at the base the engineer and I couldn't understand why the wheels were hanging off the skids and not touching the ground. Had about 6 inches of slush(now ice) froze onto bottom of skids.

Another time was following a twin otter around a moving drums from the lake where he dropped them of to where dry land would be in summer. This twin otter pilot had a million stories, and seemed happier the closer he was to dyin, every time we happened to be at the same airport together he would tell me stories and make his slave(sorry, co-pilot) refuel the aircraft. One day I found a lake where he drove around it looked like for about an hour, tracks everywhere. When I got ahold of him on the radio he explained that they landed in overflow and since they only had a ski on the front wheel, that the brakes froze on one side and so they just went around in circles till it came loose.

Kinda boring but am trying

There was a fella who had his own private helicopter, and went flying one day to show it off. It was about-20 or so, and he landed on a lake at a friends place. When he landed his skids sank through the snow. He decided to uncover the skids, so when he departed, he would know that his skids weren't caught on anything. Well in theory it was a good idea, but in practice, well ... The slush ended up almost covering both skids, and at -20 it didn't take long for the slush to freeze solid. Well we get a call to go rescue the fella, and it took us almost all day to thaw out the ice, preheat the a/c, and get the thing off the lake. Meanwhile our intrepid aviator, had gone home, because he had work to do.

Cheers

Bohica and Chuck..........How in the h##l do you get a DC3 out of the bloody slush..Would you use wing jacks and cycle the gear up manually....clean off the skis etc.......DOyou pack a runway too.......Sounds like a bloody nightmare....I almost collapsed just doing a 180.........Thank god they made rum to soothe those aches and pains......

Randy G : At least Your buddy didn't try to take off with only one skid frozen to the ground.

:elvis: :cold: :elvis: :cold: :elvis:

otooley:

The easiest method is to use air bags and lift the wing slowly as you chop out any frozen stuff trapping the wheel skis.

What happened to ours was we were parked near the little river outlet by the village and water ran on top of the ice under the snow and the wheel ski just slumped down and then of course the wet snow froze and in the morning there the f.cking thing was....lying on a wing tip.

That was with Austin Airways and they had other DC3's to take over until we rescued ours....I think it was CF-AAB.

But hey, that was childs play the tough one was salvaging the NWT Airways one (CF-BZI ) on Summerset Island, that bastard only had the top of the fuselage and the tail showing above the snow when Weldy Phipps droped us and our parts off in the Twin Otter.

If you are ever in Calgary it is at the airplane museum and you can marvel at my temporary patch on the nose, so we did not freeze to death when we flew it to Resolute.. oh yeh we found the left engine about fifty feet from the airplane with the prop and nose case ripped out.

And the left gear had been ripped off,and, and , and......

Those were the days, it's a fu..ing wonder I am still alive.

Did you know one of my wife's shot me with my 357 magnum? ( a Colt model 19, that mother really packs a punch.)

The doctors later claimed that it would have killed a higher form of life. :up:

Maybe it would be better not to get me reminiscing about the past, especially Africa.....

Some day I may tell you how I made a real killing running a cab business in the winter when I wasen't flying the water bombers...we also supplied all the fun things in life..............................

Or about my third wife finding out the name of my limited company was named after a whorehouse in Santiago Chile.......

That is enough because you will all lose respect for me. :up:

Reverend Chas W.

cw... i am INDEED looking forward to putting my feet up with an appropriate libation (or 4) & enjoying your retirement project... a compilation of your excellent adventures... 'the life & times of the reverend charlie whiskey'!!!!!!!!!!!
:up: :D

keep yer stick on the ice...

How about this poor guy, We were in a James Bay camp about a 1/2 hour away and were asked if We could lift it out with the 205.

:shock: :shock:

Opps photo didn't post

No problem at all.

Just put a strap around the end of the wing and start lifting... A 205 should pull around 4 thousand pounds, if it does not break the wing off try jerking it..sooner or later you will get all the pieces pulled off and you will have lifted it.

Chas...The most reverend.

We thought about that, but the stiff wing boy had no sense of haha.

:elvis: :blur: :elvis: :blur: :elvis:

Charles getting back to Your Feb 20th post how does one survive a hit with a 357 magnum???

:elvis: :elvis: :shock: :elvis: :elvis:

Back