Southwest Shopping A220 and 737 Max 7

Swamt. Is WN still looking at the 220? Wonder if they would get sweet deal similar to the MAX and from whatvIve heard the 220 is pretty much well loved by crews n pax alike. Dont know from ramp perspective but I do think the 220 looks cool. I still think the MAX prime issue is the design itself in the aspect of it but the massive engine on wings whereas airbus is better due to its higher up wings vs the Max 737s lower wing

Yes they are still considering the A220. They probably would get a pretty sweet deal for the first order from AB to entice future looks at other AB a/c, but i don't believe AB would offer any kind of deal like Boeing is giving SWA on the Max's.

Reactions: robbedagain
Looks like American will be the first to launch the Max's back into the air in Dec., United to follow in 2021 1st Q, and SWA to follow up with 2nd Q launch of their Max's. Interesting SWA is waiting longer with the largest fleet of them. Maybe waiting to see how they are filled or not filled? We will see how it goes for the re-launch in dec and early 2021 for AA and UAL. We shall see...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/american-airlines-says-first-boeing-155121203.html

Training is going to be an issue -- WN will need more line pilots qualified to get things up and running, so it only makes sense they'd take a little longer. Plus, it's not like anyone needs to rush to add capacity...

Yes they are still considering the A220. They probably would get a pretty sweet deal for the first order from AB to entice future looks at other AB a/c, but i don't believe AB would offer any kind of deal like Boeing is giving SWA on the Max's.
Thx swamt.

Training is going to be an issue -- WN will need more line pilots qualified to get things up and running, so it only makes sense they'd take a little longer. Plus, it's not like anyone needs to rush to add capacity...
Agree. Also going to take some extra time to get these up and running and sent to maint bases for makereadies and prepare for RTS. Sending mechanics on road trips to Victoria again. Team of Mechanics on downlines. Hope none were the ones that received a WARN letter recently...

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/southwest-deploys-team-bring-737-153127970.html

Added aircraft, additional Max's, and another batch of "new" routes, this time a dozen more with Hawaii and Mexico expansions included.
Maybe by expanding routes and aircraft as well as adding the Max's it will offset some of the furloughs and layoffs? These announcements, 3-4 now, SINCE asking for concessions do not help employees to want to volunteer to give concessions.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/southwest-just-announced-12-routes-121000891.html

So now Southwest is looking at a rather large a/c order. Will it be the Max? Or the AB 220 option??
I would much rather see Southwest spend the cash to rebuild, expand, and even purchase extra slots that may come to market. Other airlines are pulling back, so Southwest is moving in where ever they can. Now, will they move in on a merger? Maybe, but only if lucrative enough favoring SWA's side tremendously. Going with the Max and staying all Boeing will be much, much cheaper than going with AB in the short and long run.

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/0833a36...,-ge-in-talks-with.html?src=A00220&yptr=yahoo

robbed, the way I read it is IF GE screws up the nego over the engines part SWA will be looking at moving on with the AB's.
I think it will have more to do with assurances more so than cost. Southwest will get the best deal out of all the airlines when it comes to the 737 aircrafts just because they are their launch customer for all 737's as well as is still a full Boeing only airliner that remain. With all the past and still probs with the Leap engine fiascos, I am positive SWA is looking for much more reliabilities out of GE than cost at this point.
Never say never for mixing them up though. As a mechanic I hope they NEVER go with AB aircraft...