Southwest To Vaccinate Employees

Providing vaccines is one thing. Making it a mandatory term of employment?.... that's troubling, and there's one airline CEO already floating that idea.

Mandatory vaccinate for a disease that has a >99.5% recovery rate seems like over-reach, yet that's where we seem to be in Joe Biden's Amerika.

And thanks to smearing the vaccine during the election run-up, you've got a lot of people who are skeptical about being first in line.

Can't say I blame anyone who's a skeptic. "I Am Legend" was heavy in the premium movie channel rotation on cable & DirecTV leading up to the election, essentially about a zombie apocalypse caused by a vaccine-based cancer cure. Not that I expect a zombie apocalypse, but with less than a year from identification to vaccine, nobody has any idea what the long term impact of the vaccines is.

https://brands.invisibly.com/news/covid-vaccine-canvas

Last edited:
I assume E is talking about United as far as making the vaccines mandatory. They did come out after Southwest announced they will be vaccinating their employees for free by hiring a third party company to come in and give the vaccines. This is great as Southwest employees would not have to worry about long lines and the possibility of waiting for hours upon hours just to be sent home after they run out of vaccines at that particular location (yes this has happened many times folks). This would also ensure that the employees who want to get vaccinated do get vaccinated in a timely manner especially for our frontline employees coming into contact with the passengers.
Making it mandatory? I don't know about that one just yet. I would understand WHY an airline might make it mandatory for frontline employees, but I would first suggest asking for volunteers first then if not enough takers possibly making it mandatory. As far as making them per to be employed, not sure I could agree with that. What's next? If you do not participate in a healthy dieting program you may not be employed any longer? C'mon, where would it stop is how I am thinking about employment mandatory.
Is this kinda where you were with it E???

Excellent! I hope DL does the same.

I do to Kev. In hopes that all the airlines might all get together and get the entire airline industry vaccinated by third party companies coming to them to get their employees vaccinated. This would ensure they get it as well as lower crowds at their local vaccination place in their areas at home getting more of the general public the vaccines they need AND still getting the hundreds of thousands of airline employees vaccinated. I'm all for it too. Hopefully since Southwest made the move other airlines will follow or JOIN SWA in getting companies to come to them for their employees...

As far as making them per to be employed, not sure I could agree with that. What's next? If you do not participate in a healthy dieting program you may not be employed any longer? C'mon, where would it stop is how I am thinking about employment mandatory.
Is this kinda where you were with it E???

Yeah, it's a slippery slope. Forcing me to be injected with chemicals crosses the line and clearly wasn't a condition of employment when I was hired. I had Covid a year ago. I'll take my chances on getting it a second time given the published odds.

I'm also hearing that the vaccine might only be effective for 12 months and require an annual booster. That doesn't sound very effective for the long term... It's great ongoing business for Big Pharma, though.

I'm fine with countries requiring proof of vaccine if they want, and if it means I can't get on a plane while the "panic-demic" is underway, so be it. I'm fine traveling in my RV.

Yeah, it's a slippery slope. Forcing me to be injected with chemicals crosses the line and clearly wasn't a condition of employment when I was hired. I had Covid a year ago. I'll take my chances on getting it a second time given the published odds.

I'm also hearing that the vaccine might only be effective for 12 months and require an annual booster. That doesn't sound very effective for the long term... It's great ongoing business for Big Pharma, though.

I'm fine with countries requiring proof of vaccine if they want, and if it means I can't get on a plane while the "panic-demic" is underway, so be it. I'm fine traveling in my RV.

Oh boy, now they are trying to mandate domestic testing. Too expensive unless the gov. would cover all the testing cost as well. There goes an even deeper in debt America...

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/us-airline-execs-push-back-233343742.html

If they want to do that, they need to shut it all down for 4-6 weeks and pay us to stay home. Keep some planes in the air to keep supply chains open for cargo/logistics. That includes all points on a network. Idled employees can "volunteer" (while on payroll) at mobile vax centers.

If they want to do that, they need to shut it all down for 4-6 weeks and pay us to stay home. Keep some planes in the air to keep supply chains open for cargo/logistics. That includes all points on a network. Idled employees can "volunteer" (while on payroll) at mobile vax centers.

Pretty sure that isn't going to happen, but, would be nice.

Latest posts