Southwest Tried to Hide Safety Problems

txgunnr,

Not to worry. The flying public has a very short memory :huh: . Your planes should be full again real soon regardless of the bad press.

Vindication for those of us that were uncomfortable with how SWA treats regulation and safety.

NEW YORK (CNN) -- United Airlines has found faulty wiring in the landing gear of three of its Airbus A320 planes, the company said Monday.

United Airlines and government officials believe the faulty wiring caused a pair of nonfatal runway accidents.

In a statement released Monday, United Airlines said: "We informed our mechanics, pilots and flight attendants of the incidents and the corrective steps we are taking. We further conducted a stringent review process with our maintenance partners to ensure they had the same information."

One of the planes skidded off a runway while landing at Jackson Hole Airport in Wyoming in February, said United Airlines spokeswoman Megan McCarthy. The other plane briefly veered off a runway at Chicago O'Hare International Airport in October 2007, she said. Two people had minor injuries as a result. The third plane has not involved in an accident.

Just to bump for magua so she gets another wedgie. UA is no different from any other airline when it comes to safety and maintenance issues.

Cube gophers are not safety-inspectors.

txgunnr,

Not to worry. The flying public has a very short memory :huh: . Your planes should be full again real soon regardless of the bad press.

You got that right E....I was with your former company back when we had the 5 fatal crashes in 5 years. We figured NOBODY in their right minds would fly U again, but they were out the next day....very short memories.

Our little blurb is nothing more than a FAA inspector with a chub for his local office and WN, (some of the reasons are eplained in another thread here from an AMT who knew "Bobby").

>>>>Whatkindof: "Just to bump for magua so she gets another wedgie. UA is no different from any other airline when it comes to safety and maintenance issues.
Cube gophers are not safety-inspectors."<<<<<

Deleted by moderator....comments could be considered name calling which is not permitted on this board and results in time off.

>>>>Whatkindof: "Just to bump for magua so she gets another wedgie. UA is no different from any other airline when it comes to safety and maintenance issues.
Cube gophers are not safety-inspectors."<<<<<

/quote]

Sorry but the "magsau" is not a female. I am male and am a long time UAL pilot. Now how does your response relate to this thread?

For those "landing gear" issues, it is actually the anti-skid lines that they are looking at, as a MECHANIC crossed the connections not allowing the Autobrakes to function as designed when needed on the short runway at JAC and 22R at ORD. The MED setting of the A/B allows for instantaneous application of Brakes upon wheel spin up. The problem was the misrigged anti skid lines allowed for the signal to be sent to only to the right gear brakes. So you get full application on one gear and no application on the other. Nice job by the crews to keep it from being worse than it could have been.

At least we did not operate the airplanes KNOWINGLY outside of inspection times like SWA. So 10million fine plus the 500million in fuel. Looking good SWA!

At least we did not operate the airplanes KNOWINGLY outside of inspection times like SWA. So 10million fine plus the 500million in fuel. Looking good SWA!

Dear Magsau: Your vitriolic and pathological hatred of all things Southwest is well known.

I think it will be interesting to see if the WN fine holds up. My guess is that upon appeal, it will be reduced substantially. Heck, I'd be willing to bet that WN received enough in extra revenue from passengers unable to fly on American this past week to write out a check for the full amount of the fine.

And even if it isn't reduced...just think how nice it would be to work for a carrier that is able to do things like pay fines without having to take a bankruptcy, destroy all stockholder equity, gut employees' pensions, and abrogate all union contracts. I know I sure do enjoy flying WN and have no qualms about their safety.

It looks like your precious United continues to lose market share in Denver. Eventually they will be but a shadow of their former self there and you will be here telling us how unimportant Denver is/was.

The bottom line here is that you are prima facie evidence that flying on United is a bad, bad, bad idea. Better to take your chances with an aircraft that may or may not have skin cracking problem than buy a ticket on one that lets somebody like you behind the wheel.

Oh. I almost forgot. Have a nice day.

Dear Magsau: Your vitriolic and pathological hatred of all things Southwest is well known.

I think it will be interesting to see if the WN fine holds up. My guess is that upon appeal, it will be reduced substantially. Heck, I'd be willing to bet that WN received enough in extra revenue from passengers unable to fly on American this past week to write out a check for the full amount of the fine.

And even if it isn't reduced...just think how nice it would be to work for a carrier that is able to do things like pay fines without having to take a bankruptcy, destroy all stockholder equity, gut employees' pensions, and abrogate all union contracts. I know I sure do enjoy flying WN and have no qualms about their safety.

It looks like your precious United continues to lose market share in Denver. Eventually they will be but a shadow of their former self there and you will be here telling us how unimportant Denver is/was.

The bottom line here is that you are prima facie evidence that flying on United is a bad, bad, bad idea. Better to take your chances with an aircraft that may or may not have skin cracking problem than buy a ticket on one that lets somebody like you behind the wheel.

Oh. I almost forgot. Have a nice day.
Look here

Don't look now, but other airlines will be drawn into this mess. Anyone want to venture a guess as to which ones? I would bet NWA will be one of the victims.

Heck, I'd be willing to bet that WN received enough in extra revenue from passengers unable to fly on American this past week to write out a check for the full amount of the fine.

Really? Your flights must be very empty if you were able to accommodate an extra 300K pax as had been reported. Also, since many of those AA pax were traveling to the hub to get on a big jet to fly to a destination outside of the US then how did you meet their needs? The SWA airplanes really only serve places that I bet AA Eagle could have gotten those people too also. I know we had a few but not too many as our flights were already very full. When I was in LHR earlier in the week I asked if we were getting an AA people as we park at the same pier. The agents said it was almost impossible to get any more people as our flights were already running at high load factors. Sorry to hear you guys are not able to fill your seats. Maybe the pax are too afraid of riding SWA after all of the testimony about cover-ups and coercion.

Nice to see you guys having to pay a fuel bill. Combine that with the FAA fines and perhaps that TV show of yours will be a true "reality" show next season.

And to you also, have a nice day!

Combine that with the FAA fines and perhaps that TV show of yours will be a true "reality" show next season.

Earth to mags: "Airline" did three seasons on A&E, from 2002 to 2005. It's been over three years since they shot an episode. there is no "next season"!

Earth to mags: "Airline" did three seasons on A&E, from 2002 to 2005. It's been over three years since they shot an episode. there is no "next season"!

Oh say it isn't so. What caused them to pull the plug? Were they by chance going to video some footage of the maintenance facility and that caused SWA to shut it down? Afraid the FAA would have video evidence of infractions in action.

For those "landing gear" issues, it is actually the anti-skid lines that they are looking at, as a MECHANIC crossed the connections not allowing the Autobrakes to function as designed when needed on the short runway at JAC and 22R at ORD. The MED setting of the A/B allows for instantaneous application of Brakes upon wheel spin up. The problem was the misrigged anti skid lines allowed for the signal to be sent to only to the right gear brakes. So you get full application on one gear and no application on the other. Nice job by the crews to keep it from being worse than it could have been.

Just curious MAGS,

Where exactly were the plane(s) serviced and by whom :huh: ?