Split Topic- Airline Workers Should Have

Fly

Veteran
Mar 7, 2003
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From today's Chicago Tribune:

VOICE OF THE PEOPLE (LETTER)

Airline workers should have known about threats

Ryan Murphy

April 16, 2004

Minneapolis -- On Sept. 10, 2001, I was a United Airlines flight attendant, working a night flight from Washington, D.C., to San Francisco. My coworkers and I drank coffee and watched the stars pass by our windows, remarking that we relished a quiet night after the busy summer travel season. Peace and tranquility filled our workplace as passengers slept their way across the country.

We had no idea that in reality we were working in an environment of unparalleled danger. A mere 10 hours later, two of our morning flights would be hijacked, killing dozens of our colleagues and unleashing a profound national tragedy.

That evening we had no inkling of the direct threat that had been made to our safety, yet the president did, and we should have ("Bush says memo did not spell out attack; `No indication of a terrorist threat,'" Page 1, April 12).

In addition to being a flight attendant that evening, I was a leader of the Association of Flight Attendants, the world's largest flight attendant union. My No. 1 responsibility as a union leader was to help guarantee that our members had a safe place to work. I am furious that I was never given the information the White House possessed for 36 days before Sept. 11.

Standard industry practice dictates that all flight crews are briefed on security threats relevant to airline operations. Labor, management and law enforcement work together to craft the best strategy to protect our particular workplace. In this case, no warning was issued.

In an Aug. 6, 2001, memo, President Bush was informed that Al Qaeda was preparing for commercial aircraft hijackings inside the United States. Even if no one knew the exact date on which these attacks would occur, or that the aircraft would be used as missiles and flown into buildings, there are a wealth of responses aviation safety professionals would have been able to implement to defend ourselves.

Yet we were kept in the dark.

I would never argue that the contents of the Aug. 6 briefing would have guaranteed us the ability to prevent the attacks. But we could have used the information to quickly improve an ineffective aviation security system, a fix that would have made Sept. 11 much more difficult to carry out.

On the morning of Sept. 11, before the hijackers boarded their flights, they underwent security screening by some of the poorest paid employees at major airports. Depending on seniority, security screeners made less money than their counterparts at nearby Starbucks and McDonald's. Pathetic pay and benefits lead to more than 100 percent turnover at most major airports on an annual basis. The policy of the airlines and the federal government allowed cost control to trump safety in our pre-Sept. 11 airport security program. This was the case while the president and his staff knew that Al Qaeda was developing a plan to hijack commercial airliners as part of an attack on the United States.

Thankfully we have dramatically improved our aviation security system. Significant improvements in training, staffing levels and pay and benefits have allowed airport security to become a career for serious law-enforcement professionals. Sadly this change came after nearly 3,000 passengers, flight attendants, pilots and workers were killed.

If the White House had communicated the information about Al Qaeda's intended attacks, we could have immediately begun to ratchet up our airport and onboard defense programs. The policies we enacted after Sept. 11, from reinforced cockpit doors to massively increased law-enforcement presence in airports to the federal air marshal program, should have been launched as soon as we knew the severity of the threat level. But instead we went to work in those first days of September ready for the cool breezes and quiet airports of autumn, unaware of the dreadful information that never left the White House.

This is the original post split from the rest of the followup posts. I will be moving the followup posts into the Just Conversation thread since it took a decidedly political turn after the second post. You may continue that conversation in that thread.

scot said:
This is the original post split from the rest of the followup posts. I will be moving the followup posts into the Just Conversation thread since it took a decidedly political turn after the second post. You may continue that conversation in that thread.
Exactly how will a conversation about this topic NOT become political? Me thinks the Moderator assumes too much. Let me expand....

A reasoned analysis of this letter would require an analysis of all previous intelligence assessments provided to the previous several administrations. Clearly these are not available. But let's assume they were....

Then the conversation would have to delve into both the content of those assessments and the exact response made by various officials and the way that information was communicated to the President. A valid analysis would have to determine what the impact of publicizing all these "threats" where and the possible economic and social impact it would have had. Moreover, the evaluation would also have to determine build of insensitivity to threats if every one was made public no matter the veracity of the source. Analysis would have to be analyzed both as to what else had happened during that period of time and a verification of whether the letter was read by the President or simply addressed to him and then paraphrased during a verbal briefing or not at all. If it wasn't read, an analysis of all previous briefings would be warranted as well as the volume of information sent to the President for reading and whether or not the President actually reads these things. I could continue, but it would be pointless....as pointless as both a. this threads content and b. the moderators believf that a non-political discussion could actually take place.

In the end, any discussion will be based on people political assessment. Primarily because they lack perfect - or even semi-perfect - information to make a semi-reasoned discussion. And given that most posters are airline employees and likel labour union representatives, it will inevitably blame Bush. So lets just end this by everyone agreeing that it was Bush's fault. Everyone in agreement? Oh yeah, the terrorist were bad also.

Even though the intelligent agency did not share info with each other, did they not all report to the president? Was he putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5. Which I would have to say, would be very very good for him.

Or could it be that America needed a great tradedy to happen to sway the total world opinion in Americas favor to go after Bin Laden and Sadam.

I do not doubt that we have very smart people ( think tanks ) who go over senarios and come up with plans. If this happens, this will be the result.

I am not sure if it was nescessary to split the thread either, since the Gov. is involved in the airlines and conversations do seem to go in different directions from the original thought processes.

I agree that this is a political post by the very nature of the lead post being anti-Bush (with misinformation as its basis). In protest to having my reply moved into the tulie bushes I repost the following:

Enough of the political slander and misinformation.

The President who failed you is Billy Bob Clinton. His administration was notified of the goal of the terrorists to hijack US airliners. Hence, the FBI began investigations. The "critical" August 6th memo mentions that the FBI could not find any credible evidence that the terrorists were proceding towards their goal. Several government decisions prevented the FBI and CIA from doing their job well--all made by the Clinton administration. Foremost among them was the DOJ (led by Reno) decision to forbid intelligence (CIA) from sharing information with law enforcement (FBI and Police). Hence, the well known failure of the numerous agencies to connect the dots. The Clinton administration also chose to pursue the terrorists in the law enforcement arena. Hence, we'd capture the terrorists during/after their crimes and then put them in jail. Many fault the Bush administration for not changing the policies during it's first nine months in office. Many would point out this as unrealistic. Administrations maintain policies and holdover personnel (Tenet, Clark, Garvey (FAA) among others) while changing their courses over time.

I understand airline workers are a blue collar group and the Democrats tend to give more support during negotions. No arguments. But saying 9/11 happened because of Bush shows a one sided political mind. To say Democrats will support workers negotiations--here, here. To say Clinton, Kerry are better for our national security--please move to another country along with Fonda, Baldwin, Sarandon, and others.

WRONG!!!!! BTW, we don't have to move to change this. We just have to vote. Luckily, some of our votes are worth more than others (ie Florida), so that's good for me. And it isn't looking to promising for this Bush either. One termer!!

Back