Star Alliance Rumors

USFlyer

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
I've heard rumors from a few insiders that US is on the verge of being suspended and/or kicked out of the Star Alliance, due to a variety of factors ... essentially no First class service, bankruptcy #2, too many DM members sucking up award seats on other carriers, etc. Anyone else heard this?

USFlyer,

Haven't heard it but it wouldn't surprise me.

As I've said other places (but those so quick to blame employees for everything ignore), our "normal" operation has gotten pretty poor. I've expanded the period I've looked at to include 12 thru 20 Dec and the numbers are pretty poor. An average of over 100 flights cancelled a day. An average of over 18 passengers per 1000 being separated from their baggage a day (over 3700 based on the bookings for the 23rd).

What happened last Thur and Fri was inevitable, given the weather. A relative handful of extra sick-outs only made a terrible operation somewhat worse.

Jim

USFlyer said:
I've heard rumors from a few insiders that US is on the verge of being suspended and/or kicked out of the Star Alliance, due to a variety of factors ... essentially no First class service, bankruptcy #2, too many DM members sucking up award seats on other carriers, etc. Anyone else heard this?
[post="232213"][/post]​
No F service can't be a reason, BD, SK, OS don't have F.

whlinder said:
No F service can't be a reason, BD, SK, OS don't have F.
[post="232218"][/post]​

My understanding is it's the marketing/publishing of fares classified as "First" when the service is anything but. This was just one of several reasons I've heard. Again, nothing offiical, just rumors (which as we all know are often not true).

I doubt that the BK would be the reasion, because after all, look at UAL. Still, the rumor doesn't shock me since the First Class issue has apparently been raised since the beginning of the Star Alliance process. I doubt the rumor is true, but if it is, I would imagine it has to do with the decline in first class service. Hard to imagine passengers coming across on LH in first then connectint to a UAIR flight in first and have them not notice a huge difference.

Come on people... do you enjoy kicking yourself? You guys know theres no truth to that!!!!!!!!!!! Gees grow into your shoes!

yea well at this rate US won't have to be kicked out, they'll just fall out themselves because they'll be Ch. 7 bankrupt

USFlyer said:
My understanding is it's the marketing/publishing of fares classified as "First" when the service is anything but. This was just one of several reasons I've heard. Again, nothing offiical, just rumors (which as we all know are often not true).
[post="232326"][/post]​
It may have always been like this, but I noticed for the first time yesterday that my US itinerary said "Business Class" and not "First." (Incidentally, I flew FLL/CLT/BOS. The FAs could not have done a better job.)

USFlyer said:
[post="232213"][/post]​

That's the rumor from the other carriers.

Don't know the reason, execpt some say just too many negatives with US.

as a point against CH11 being a reason, AC was in Bankruptcy protection too.

Seems like we should dump the Amex program though. I think people who don't earn miles on US but rather transfer them from Amex and then book OA really should not get the benefits of traveling on the Star Alliance.

How much revenue does that generate? Any revenue (no matter how small an amount) that comes from Amex then goes right out the door to the carrier that transports the passenger? Plus there is no brand loyalty in the Amex program other than that the customers uses their Amex card.

The benefits of the using miles to book on the Star Alliance should be a reward for those who fly US.....

I mean we need more perks, although some might consider bags actually making it with the passenger a perk, I don't.....sorry I could not help but make that comment.

I am embarrased about the quality of our service recently. If there were anything that might put us out of the Star Alliance then the recent baggage fiasco might. To the people whom claim to be proving a point, thanks a million, or is it 75 million every year? I cannot remember, hopefully you get my point.

I talked to a colleague today who has 90K miles on US she has been desperately trying to use on other airlines. She has focused on UA to Hawaii without success but is about ready to consider a trip to Europe. If she is representative, I don't think other carriers want to be put in the position of picking up US miles when there is the very strong likelihood that they will never get paid for them if US ceases flying.

I'm sure their passengers have experienced some of US' service failures as well.

CynicalResAgent said:
Seems like we should dump the Amex program though.
[post="232462"][/post]​

A case in point is my sister - uses the Ames affinity card almost exclusively and hardly ever flys US Airways. She has tons of miles.

Jim

ps - she recently asked me what to do about all her miles. Told her to plan a nice trip on Star Alliance carriers.

I flew from Frankfurt to Vilnius on LH this year and was surprised to see a "Business Select" like product instead of first class. The seats were the same as coach with a 3-3 configuration and a moveable cabin divider. The plane was a 737. The service in coach was great though. Choice of a hot meal with real silverware and complimentary alcoholic beverages. I suppose if you were an envoy passenger and were connecting on this LH flight you would probably be dissapointed.

Back