starting out in canada

Crash Test Turkey,

I trained with two others and was followed shortly after by a girl. Of the four of us, three have swung blades and I managed to get the fourth one a ground crew job but, he didn't want to leave home.

That said, I'm still struggling.

Mr. Rideout,

The position you spoke of was filled about three minutes ago by the laddy I mentioned.

Sharkster,

Congrats
9.gif
13.gif
9.gif

Now I don''t know what the general concensus is, but I think it stinks that a new pilot is so unenployable. I got real lucky about 6 years ago and am happily flingin along. I know so many hard working people that got their licences and took off with a piece of paper and the last bit of cash that they had only to get ultimately nowhere. A very select few succeded in getting that coveted mopping job, but the majority are making ends meet some other way. I understand that it''s pretty tough to get a low timer onboard and flying considering the risks. It would be nice if some better way, other than pure luck or inside contacts, were available to help these poor "people" out. No suggestions myself as of yet but I''m sure there are some people out there that would love some good genuine chances or advice.

It''s not the companies themself that don''t want to hire you, it''s the insurance companies won''t let them do it. And since 9/11 it has gotten even hard for them.I have 9000 hrs. and I have a real hard time finding a full time job on either side of the border.

So good luck

It''s almost like pulling the handle on a slot machine in LasVegas this getting started thing.

I got my start in helicopters by default. A company in Windsor Ont. called me and said they needed a pilot with Ag. experience and an Aerial Applicators license so they could apply for an OC.

So I said why not?

So off to Windsor went I and got paid a salary to learn to fly helicopters and it was almost like my first piece of a++ I loved it.

That was in 1964 and it was exactly the same trying to get a job then as it is now, nothing changes its more LasVegas luck than anything else.

I know my little story won''t be much help but at least it shows nothing changes.

Chas W.

They were cured... WITHOUT Operation!

You''re right about the drinking. I passed out early last night too. I think theres a video kicking around here somewhere with my buddies trying to rouse me by poking me with various objects and subjecting me to some rather nasty wrestling holds. I''m also expecting a nasty cell phone bill.

I need new friends.

CTD, in looking at the number of posts you''ve made on the CA site since it began, it''s obvious you spend far too much time here. It must be the reason that dreary rag you put out is so thin. Write, man, write!

Thanks flinger,

6 months and 25 000 kms later and I end up going back to where I started.

Since I''m not returning to ag this season, you may assume my official status of "The Favourite" nyuk nyuk

Back