Status Of Codeshare With Lufthansa

USFlyer

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
Any updates on the codeshare with LH? The alliance/codeshare front has been quiet for quite a while. Also, does anyone know how often the electronic downloadable timetables are updated? For example, US added ANC months ago yet it still does not appear in the electronic timetables US offers for download. Ditto for NRT and dozens of other UA-only cities.

USFlyer said:
Any updates on the codeshare with LH? The alliance/codeshare front has been quiet for quite a while. Also, does anyone know how often the electronic downloadable timetables are updated? For example, US added ANC months ago yet it still does not appear in the electronic timetables US offers for download. Ditto for NRT and dozens of other UA-only cities.
Still pending. It will take a little time for something of this size to get reviewed by DOT. Remember also (IIRC) that the EU antitrust body must also consider this one.

US Airways is continuing with Lufthansa bi-lateral alliance Reservation and Customer Service Training and the company expects DOT approval in the not-so-distant future. Customer Service personnel report the alliance could begin on October 26, provided all IT and training integration is complete.

Respectfully,

Chip

Thanks, Chip. Do we know when the UAL codeshare will enter its next "phase"? There are still lots of "express" routes not codeshared on both sides plus US has not codeshared on UA's flights to South America, Australia and Canada. I seem to recall ITRADE mentioning the necessary DOT requests were filed, but I don't recall ever seeing the outcome of those.

Also, any plans to codeshare with Air Canada and/or Mexicana, especially with MEX service starting this fall?

USFlyer:

Good questions, however, I suspect there could be additional news regarding United Airlines and US Airways separate of the domestic alliance in the not-so-distant future. In regard to other Star Alliance partners, US Airways is now targeting March 2004 for official entry.

Respectfully,

Chip

USFlyer said:
Thanks, Chip. Do we know when the UAL codeshare will enter its next "phase"? There are still lots of "express" routes not codeshared on both sides plus US has not codeshared on UA's flights to South America, Australia and Canada. I seem to recall ITRADE mentioning the necessary DOT requests were filed, but I don't recall ever seeing the outcome of those.

Also, any plans to codeshare with Air Canada and/or Mexicana, especially with MEX service starting this fall?
In separate dockets, DOT has approved code share service to:
  • Sydney/Melbourne from LAX/SFO
  • Korea from multiple destinations
  • Rio/Sao Paulo from multiple destinations
  • Buenos Aires/Montivideo from multiple destinations
  • Taiwan from multiple destinations
  • Japan from multiple destinations
  • Hong Kong from multiple destinations
I think that there were also ones for Amsterdam and Brussels.

I know that many of the Asian ones have gone into effect. Not sure about Australia.

Links on LH's web site indicate the US-LH alliance is due to start October 26. Is LH making the assumption all the approvals will be in by then? Also, on another note, I was on a conference call with a UA sales rep on Friday -- I think she said the US-UA codeshare is only about 45 percent complete. Is this correct? I would have thought it was higher than that (though there are thousands of express routes not yet on the codeshare, so that might be why).

USFlyer said:
Links on LH's web site indicate the US-LH alliance is due to start October 26. Is LH making the assumption all the approvals will be in by then? Also, on another note, I was on a conference call with a UA sales rep on Friday -- I think she said the US-UA codeshare is only about 45 percent complete. Is this correct? I would have thought it was higher than that (though there are thousands of express routes not yet on the codeshare, so that might be why).
I too have heard that date.

This will make my China travels a bit more interesting.

I can either do IAD-SFO-PVG-PEK-ORD-IAD trips, or I can do IAD-FRA-PVG-PEK-ORD-IAD trips - essentially a RTW trip.

Anybody have a feel of what business class RTW trips (with stopovers) run these days???

BTW, the redemption and awarding of miles based on travel on each other's airlines is not necessarily dependent upon the granting of code-share authority by DOT.

Any airline can give miles to FFs of any airline - without restriction (e.g., US's accrual of miles from NW flights to Asia).

Obtaining a ticket with a US code from FRA to DUS is a different type of application process - one currently pending before DOT.

Is there limitattions on how much the two carriers can codeshare? Will both airlines codeshare their entire networks?
Also, does anyone have a link to a map showing what US routes UA puts its code on?