Stranded star blasts airline

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
“The Office” star Rainn Wilson raged against US Airways after his flight to Scranton, Pa., from Philadelphia took off 10 minutes before its scheduled departure time yesterday, leaving him and his castmates stranded on their way to the show’s fan-wrap party.

http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/stranded_star_blasts_airline_hRevCCiax0Tu1c65w78hYK?utm_source=SFnewyorkpost&utm_medium=SFnewyorkpost

They may have been on a flight that is parked at a remote area, and requires a shuttle bus to get to. In those cases, the busses tend to leave the holding gate area up to 15 min prior to sked dept time.
A friend of mine missed one a few months ago where the bus left 20 min ahead.

For ONE passenger, sucks to be him. For SEVEN?!??!!? Someone screwed up, and we deserve to bad publicity on this one. Assuming, of course, that his side is accurate.

Reactions: 1 person
They may have been on a flight that is parked at a remote area, and requires a shuttle bus to get to. In those cases, the busses tend to leave the holding gate area up to 15 min prior to sked dept time.
A friend of mine missed one a few months ago where the bus left 20 min ahead.

I don't think they use shuttle buses in PHL to take people to aircraft. I use the F concourse a lot, and have never seen that.

The news article also mentioned that the airplane was a 20-seater. What express aircraft that LCC uses is a 20-seater? None to my knowledge.

If they closed the gate door earlier than 10 minutes prior (which is policy), then the agent screwed up. But, I think that policy is screwed up if the agents aren't given some leeway to wait for 7 passengers who are on known to be on their way, especially if it's the last flight of the day or the follow-on flights are booked full.

Dash 8 holds 37 but very rarely can take more than 28-34 do to weight and balance. The crews will only allow boarding 20 minuets before departure .The cut off time is more because of working out the numbers.
The OT window is more because of the adjustments in trying to get more pax and cargo on. ACARS and management play a big role.

I don't think they use shuttle buses in PHL to take people to aircraft. I use the F concourse a lot, and have never seen that.

The news article also mentioned that the airplane was a 20-seater. What express aircraft that LCC uses is a 20-seater? None to my knowledge.

If they closed the gate door earlier than 10 minutes prior (which is policy), then the agent screwed up. But, I think that policy is screwed up if the agents aren't given some leeway to wait for 7 passengers who are on known to be on their way, especially if it's the last flight of the day or the follow-on flights are booked full.

Due to construction at terminal F, they have been parking several A/C in a remote part of the airport over by the old Express area I believe. As I said, a friend of mine missed his flight a while back due to this situation. I'm not saying that this was the case for this particular flight, just a possibility.

But, I think that policy is screwed up if the agents aren't given some leeway to wait for 7 passengers who are on known to be on their way, especially if it's the last flight of the day or the follow-on flights are booked full.

AFAIK a gate agent has no leeway to do that.

Remember, there is a difference between the flight being closed and actually being off the gate. On Express flights, the standard 10 minute door close is even more important because of the manual load sheet. The gate has to get the final passenger count to the flight crew while the ramp has to given them the paperwork in including the checked bags, cargo and valet bags so the pilots can do the W/B before pushback.

(On mainline flights this is all done electronically, actually after pushback, unless it is a W/B sensitive flight (Max laod) . Passenger count is sent via computer are is the fuel and bin weights for a weight and data record.)

There is actually more work for the gate and ramp agents, as well as for the crew, on a 19 seater than for an A321. And W/B is much more critical on the smaller aircraft. Adding seven last minute runners would require the load sheet to be done all over. That could easily cause a delay.

Not to belabor the point, but most passengers have no idea what goes on behind the scenes, even if the pax is a DYKWIA celeb who flies a lot.