SWA gets ready to end W/A

did they have a countdown clock and other equally in-your-face events a year in advance?

In reality, DEN probably marks the largest and most rapid buildup of WN and it was fueled by WN's low hedges and the combined weak finances of UA and F9 at the time.

We could spend the next year talking about what might happen and citing articles from "experts" but there is current data to show that WN has at least 50% passenger share of the combined DAL/DFW market to airports it can currently serve. In the case of the original WN cities (states bordering Texas), WN has the lion's share of the market. When other cities like STL and MCI were added, WN obtained 50% market share, often in a year or less, and brought average fares down rapidly in the short term - not uncommon for any airline when new service is added. Fares rebounded later but there was a significant impact to AA's revenue in the short-term in those markets. Within a short-period of time, WN established itself as a very credible player in those markets on equal terms as AA, something that has not necessarily happened at other airports like HOU vs IAH.

Comparing the size of AA's operation at DFW and saying how much larger they are means nothing. WN has a higher percentage of local traffic and doesn't use RJs; they now have the 738 which has similar capacity to an AA 757.

WN doesn't have to replicate AA's route network at DFW. They can and likely will pick off the top 10 markets from DFW, add in WN's "hub citie's if they aren't in the top 10, and then start with between 3-5 flights/ market. WN has more than enough capacity to do that.

WA ends in October which is not a peak season anyway. By the time the summer of 2015 rolls around, WN will have a very good idea of how successful they can be with long haul domestic flying from DAL and which markets need to be added.

Anyone who underestimates WN's ability to win over the Metroplex' long-haul domestic market, to find the assets and means to maximize their impact in the market from day one, the impact of the end of the WA on AA, or the lengths that WN will go to show that there is every reason to remove the remaining restrictions on the WA in order to grow their operation at DAL is likely in for a very big surprise.

Anyone who underestimates WN's ability to win over the Metroplex' long-haul domestic market, to find the assets and means to maximize their impact in the market from day one, the impact of the end of the WA on AA, or the lengths that WN will go to show that there is every reason to remove the remaining restrictions on the WA in order to grow their operation at DAL is likely in for a very big surprise.
“It’s an opportunity for Southwest, but it’s not a sea change in travel patterns in the Metroplex,” aviation consultant Michael Boyd said.

“It’s going to be a nonevent,” Boyd said. “Love Field is a secondary airport for the Metroplex and it’s always going to be.”

Like this guy.

Agree 100%. WT I cannot remember anything in the past that WN has celebrated for a year straight. The last thing that I know of that might come close was when AA (I think) started the fare wars back in the 70's (again I think) and SWA gave the traveling public an option, pay half price for tickets, or pay full price and receive a free bottle of whiskey. That year Southwest was the largest distributor of alcohol in US or world. The next one would be the fight for the W/A to go away that started in 2004 and granted, except for international flts... But none of the above was celebrated for a year, at least I cannot think of any.

The last thing that I know of that might come close was when AA (I think) started the fare wars back in the 70's (again I think) and SWA gave the traveling public an option, pay half price for tickets, or pay full price and receive a free bottle of whiskey. That year Southwest was the largest distributor of alcohol in US or world.

Well not exactly. But close enough.

http://southwest.investorroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1123

This is not the first time the maverick airline has offered free drinks in response to a competitive challenge. In 1973, now-defunct Braniff airlines offered $13 one-way fares from Dallas to Houston, hoping to put fledgling Southwest Airlines out of business. Southwest's then-president and CEO Lamar Muse shot back with a headline, "Nobody's going to shoot Southwest Airlines out of the sky for a lousy $13" and offered Customers a fifth of premium liquor with any full-fare ($26) ticket. Southwest became the largest distributor in Texas those two months of several popular labels.

Well not exactly. But close enough.

http://southwest.inv...?s=43&item=1123

This is not the first time the maverick airline has offered free drinks in response to a competitive challenge. In 1973, now-defunct Braniff airlines offered $13 one-way fares from Dallas to Houston, hoping to put fledgling Southwest Airlines out of business. Southwest's then-president and CEO Lamar Muse shot back with a headline, "Nobody's going to shoot Southwest Airlines out of the sky for a lousy $13" and offered Customers a fifth of premium liquor with any full-fare ($26) ticket. Southwest became the largest distributor in Texas those two months of several popular labels.
Thx, I stand corrected. Sorry but I was too lazy to research the exact case so I was going by memory.