SWA & Spirit Lose In Objection To AA & JB Tie Up

swamt

Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
Although SWA and Spirit filed objections, the Feds still approve the AA and JetBlue hooking up. It does say they agreed to some divestions but not sure how many and where they all are (JFK is one). Maybe this was all SWA and Spirit wanted.
So now the question is; who and what will the next move be by the airlines leftover? Will others follow with some code share agreements? Or full blown mergers? This could be the start of some interesting future moves, stay tuned...

https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa...VuOlVT&usg=AFQjCNG6X8CjjSFaUsBVysVa0z5Ce2ls4w

Although SWA and Spirit filed objections, the Feds still approve the AA and JetBlue hooking up. It does say they agreed to some divestions but not sure how many and where they all are (JFK is one). Maybe this was all SWA and Spirit wanted.
So now the question is; who and what will the next move be by the airlines leftover? Will others follow with some code share agreements? Or full blown mergers? This could be the start of some interesting future moves, stay tuned...

https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa...VuOlVT&usg=AFQjCNG6X8CjjSFaUsBVysVa0z5Ce2ls4w
Swamt. Do u think this may spur SWA to getting involved un some kind of interline agreement w other airlines? Now w AA AS and JB doing this do u think SWA could look at doing something similar

Swamt. Do u think this may spur SWA to getting involved un some kind of interline agreement w other airlines? Now w AA AS and JB doing this do u think SWA could look at doing something similar

It wouldn't surprise me if they did. I do remember a while back our Pilots were told to expect some code shares in the future when we were looking at buying Frontier, WestJet, and finally settled on AirTran. Frontier and WestJet Pilots screwed everything up when they were demanding unreasonable demands to agree to the merger so SWA walked away from them in a heartbeat. Then they realized what they lost out on. AirTran Pilots as well as other groups @AirTran watched and learned from the Frontier and WestJet fall outs and worked well with SWA to get the merger done smoothly. Now WestJet and Frontier only wished they would have agreed.
I will add our Pilots don't like the idea but, yes, I do expect SWA to entertain it as well as our Pilots as they will probably see that they have to to compete. Never say never.

Latest posts