Talks get serious between UAL/CO- Where is US in all this?

Got to love this one ..... the ununionized Delta employees are NOW willing to join the CWA and pay dues ..... :D

Delta flight attendants look to unionize

NEW YORK, Feb 10 (Reuters) - Delta Air Lines Inc (DAL.N: Quote, Profile, Research) flight attendants will file union cards for representation in the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA on Feb. 14, a union spokeswoman said on Sunday.

"They want a seat at the table -- whether it is during regular contract negotiations or mergers -- so they can have a voice in their careers," said Patricia Friend, president of AFA-CWA International.

The union said a "solid" majority of Delta flight attendants have signed cards seeking union representation.

That's an interesting turn. For years, Delta management used the spectre of a merger to scare the F/A's into not of joining AFA, because of the union's strict DOH policy. (And I'm sure that the very senior USAir was always used as a prime example of why you don't want a DOH merger,)

I seem to recall also that the Pan Am F/A's were all required to re-apply to Delta after that merger. One of them was an F/A whose heroic actions saved many lives in the Tenerife accident.

Delta wouldn't hire her.

That's an interesting turn. For years, Delta management used the spectre of a merger to scare the F/A's into not of joining AFA, because of the union's strict DOH policy. (And I'm sure that the very senior USAir was always used as a prime example of why you don't want a DOH merger,)

I seem to recall also that the Pan Am F/A's were all required to re-apply to Delta after that merger. One of them was an F/A whose heroic actions saved many lives in the Tenerife accident.

Delta wouldn't hire her.
First off, DL has a number of very senior f/as as well. My friend who is a DL f/a will have 40 years next year. She is in the top 1000 most senior, but is not the most senior by a long shot.

DL did not merge with Pan Am. Pan Am went out of business in 1991. DL simply bought some of the Pan Am routes at the fire sale afterward. There was no requirement to take any of the DL employees.

First off, DL has a number of very senior f/as as well. My friend who is a DL f/a will have 40 years next year. She is in the top 1000 most senior, but is not the most senior by a long shot.

DL did not merge with Pan Am. Pan Am went out of business in 1991. DL simply bought some of the Pan Am routes at the fire sale afterward. There was no requirement to take any of the DL employees.
DL purchased some of PA's assets prior to them going out of business. IIRC, after the fact DL also filed suit or refused to pay out something to PA which caused even further harm to PA. I do know that DL did purchase some of PA's assets before they went CH. 7 though.

I wonder if LCC and AMR could go after NW.... AMR getting most of the pacific operation and LCC getting the domestic routes with a fair bit of Pacific.... maybe the DTW routes. It seems to me that AMR already has some rights to Tokyo from the US Mainland: JFK, ORD, DFW and LAX to Tokyo. So, if AMR obtains the beyond Tokyo rights plus four more routes from the mainland US, allowing LCC to offer say 3 to 4 flight across the Pacific, plus its China autority, that would really out-flank Delta and allow NW to retain it's identity, management, systems and some of its trans-PAC operations, but not its Tokyo hub, of course, but would that be better than being dissolved into Delta? Somehow, I think that NW will be able to bargain to retain its identity.

I wonder if LCC and AMR could go after NW.... AMR getting most of the pacific operation and LCC getting the domestic routes with a fair bit of Pacific.... maybe the DTW routes. It seems to me that AMR already has some rights to Tokyo from the US Mainland: JFK, ORD, DFW and LAX to Tokyo. So, if AMR obtains the beyond Tokyo rights plus four more routes from the mainland US, allowing LCC to offer say 3 to 4 flight across the Pacific, plus its China autority, that would really out-flank Delta and allow NW to retain it's identity, management, systems and some of its trans-PAC operations, but not its Tokyo hub, of course, but would that be better than being dissolved into Delta? Somehow, I think that NW will be able to bargain to retain its identity.

Phoenix is in no position to buy another airline, or even part. Enjoy your jobs while you have them.

So, if AMR obtains the beyond Tokyo rights plus four more routes from the mainland US, allowing LCC to offer say 3 to 4 flight across the Pacific, plus its China autority, that would really out-flank Delta and allow NW to retain it's identity, management, systems and some of its trans-PAC operations, but not its Tokyo hub, of course, but would that be better than being dissolved into Delta? Somehow, I think that NW will be able to bargain to retain its identity.

The beyond Tokyo rights are the rub. IIRC, those are totally dependent upon the good graces of the Japanese government. I don't think it is automatic that NW can sell these or transfer the rights to another airline even in a merger. I doubt AMR would be interested in the NRT and beyond rights without the China routes. In the coming years, the China routes are the hot topic of desire for all U.S. airlines.

Latest posts