Talks get serious between UAL/CO- Where is US in all this?

I don't know why some people are so pro merger. Are they thinking the last few sucked so the next one has gotta to be the "one" where my job turns into airline bliss? Maybe they have a inferiority complex and have to work at the biggest airline to have a feeling of self worth? Probably the drunk excitement of a merger for most employees but the morning after is not worth it.

The best thing that could happen is US buy a small percent of the discarded Airbus capacity that comes into the market and begin some organic growth, while the industry realigns capacity which will be good for employees and the bottom line.

Perhaps because some people think that working for an airline that makes huge, consistent profits beats working for one that posts smaller profits or consistent losses? Easier to try to capture wage increases if your employer is consistently profitable - see Southwest for proof. Their Captains make more $$$ than any other legacy Captains except for AA's 777 Captains. Their mechanics and ramp make industry-leading pay. Their FAs make more money than most; their agents make more money than most. Did I leave anybody out? Does anyone at US make more money per hour than a WN employee in the same job with the same seniority?

Granted, reasonable people can disagree whether the current potential consolidation will result in higher profits, but it's kinda hard to disagree with my first paragraph above.

Things will surely suck for the redundant employees who are let go as a result of mergers and acquisitions, but it really can't get much worse for those who remain, can it?

I don't know why some people are so pro merger. Are they thinking the last few sucked so the next one has gotta to be the "one" where my job turns into airline bliss? Maybe they have a inferiority complex and have to work at the biggest airline to have a feeling of self worth? Probably the drunk excitement of a merger for most employees but the morning after is not worth it.

*****DING DING DING ******* WE HAVE A WINNER!

No value will be added by these "consolidations" unless you have stock options.

Raise your prices you goofballs.

I wonder where WN fits in all of this? Their ceo is on record stating they will try to purchase someone if these mergers start going through.
Could that someone be US?

Southwest Airlines Co. chief executive Gary Kelly doesn't have any offers out to buy another airline, but he expects Southwest to jump in when the consolidation fun begins.

NATALIE CAUDILL/DMN
Southwest Airlines CEO Gary Kelly expects 'an interesting 2008' for carriers. "At some point, I think we'll probably acquire somebody," Mr. Kelly said in a recent discussion with Dallas Morning News business editors and reporters. "There's bound to be a scenario that we would say, 'That scenario out of these 10, yep, that one would work for us.' We'd want to be prepared for that opportunity that presents itself."

Can't we get another thread? This one is too long to read through with too many different things being discussed.

Air Canada is interesting. Thier fleet is very similiar to ours, they are an original Star Alliance member, I like their product alot. As long as they discard the useless Tempians immediately.

I just don't see why AA would want much more from US than CLT, DCA, BOS? and the Shuttle..... and some expanded presence at LAS and PHX. But would they want a full-blown hub at PHX? maybe.

AA had two perfectly good hubs at BNA and RDU and shuttered all of one and most of the other. They have MIA. They don't want CLT. DCA and LGA, maybe. PHX? Nope. They had a hub at LAX and pulled some of that back.

Why would they want what they had and ditched?

AA had two perfectly good hubs at BNA and RDU and shuttered all of one and most of the other. They have MIA. They don't want CLT. DCA and LGA, maybe. PHX? Nope. They had a hub at LAX and pulled some of that back.

Why would they want what they had and ditched?

On top of those, AA had hubs in RNO (RenoAir purchase) and SJC, both of which were dismantled. Can't say AA hasn't done its part to draw down excess hub capacity.

route-map-ap.gif

route-map-world.gif

AC has a lot of International flights ....
A lot of the flights on that map are codeshares.

I wonder where WN fits in all of this? Their ceo is on record stating they will try to purchase someone if these mergers start going through.
Could that someone be US?

Southwest Airlines Co. chief executive Gary Kelly doesn't have any offers out to buy another airline, but he expects Southwest to jump in when the consolidation fun begins.

NATALIE CAUDILL/DMN
Southwest Airlines CEO Gary Kelly expects 'an interesting 2008' for carriers. "At some point, I think we'll probably acquire somebody," Mr. Kelly said in a recent discussion with Dallas Morning News business editors and reporters. "There's bound to be a scenario that we would say, 'That scenario out of these 10, yep, that one would work for us.' We'd want to be prepared for that opportunity that presents itself."

LUV merger would be great! LCC would find themselves back in PIT. :up: :lol:

Perhaps because some people think that working for an airline that makes huge, consistent profits beats working for one that posts smaller profits or consistent losses? Easier to try to capture wage increases if your employer is consistently profitable - see Southwest for proof. Their Captains make more $$$ than any other legacy Captains except for AA's 777 Captains. Their mechanics and ramp make industry-leading pay. Their FAs make more money than most; their agents make more money than most. Did I leave anybody out? Does anyone at US make more money per hour than a WN employee in the same job with the same seniority?

Granted, reasonable people can disagree whether the current potential consolidation will result in higher profits, but it's kinda hard to disagree with my first paragraph above.

Things will surely suck for the redundant employees who are let go as a result of mergers and acquisitions, but it really can't get much worse for those who remain, can it?

Here's an example of the wrong mind set folks! merger=me getting rich lol the reality is merger=train wreck! HISTORY SPEAKS Mergers are only good for CEO's. BTW US made almost 1 billion in profit for the last 2 years how rich are you?