Thank You, Dept. Of Homeland Security

jimntx

Veteran
Jun 28, 2003
Dallas, TX
www.usaviation.com
Just heard a report on the Weather Channel (of all places) that the U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security has announced that they are opposed to the proposed FAA/FCC rule change that would allow cell phone usage in flight.

Homeland Security is, of course, opposed on security grounds. They are afraid that the phones could be used to activate sleeper cells or advise of Air Marshals on a particular flight.

From flight attendants everywhere, let me say...

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! The nations will rise up and call you blessed, Mr. Dept. of Homeland Security.

Garfield,

The next time you get on a plane during boarding and the guy next to you is talking really loud on his cell phone - you will know. Can't imagine flying from LAX - LHR and having someone yaking away in the middle of the night.

But wasn't it AA anyway that did the testing of cell phones in flight.

Think about how rude people are in movie theaters, restaurants, and concert halls with the d*mn things. Now, imagine 50 or 60 of these people on an airplane, all talking at once, and because they can't hear with all the others talking, they all just talk louder. Now imagine that you are trapped in the window seat on a redeye transcon from LAX to JFK and you are trying to get some sleep so you will be semi-conscious at your meeting in NY tomorrow morning.

Particularly if one or more of the users are under 25 and all you can hear repeated over and over is...

"No. Like, For sure. Like, No way. Oh no, she didn't. Oh no, she didn't. Like, Girl, you are sh*ttin me. Like, whatever. You know?"

OK. I see your point. I thought we were looking at it from a safety or security stand point which made no sense to me.

I did find a cure for that problem. I guy was talking on a cell in a movie and I told him that if he stopped talking I would not pass gas (I said it a bit more crude but you get the point). Needless to say he stopped and I didn't make him suffer.

Yes, I know my actions were crude and uncivilized but it worked and that's what counts.

Garfield1966 said:
OK. I see your point. I thought we were looking at it from a safety or security stand point which made no sense to me.

I did find a cure for that problem. I guy was talking on a cell in a movie and I told him that if he stopped talking I would not pass gas (I said it a bit more crude but you get the point). Needless to say he stopped and I didn't make him suffer.

Yes, I know my actions were crude and uncivilized but it worked and that's what counts.
[post="274759"][/post]​

That's good, Garfield. I am a little shy about my bodily functions, but I have found that leaning into them and saying loudly, "Can you hear me now?" will usually terminate a call.

IMO, TSA/Homeland Security hasn't got much right, but this would be big step in the right direction. No cell phones on planes!!!!!! I can't imagine listening to someone's cell phone ring because they don't want to talk to that person or having cell phone users tie up the bathroom because they want a semi-private call. NO CELL PHONES!!! Thanks............

I love how the SPLIT SECOND the FA comes over the PA and says it's ok to use cell phones, like 5 phones start ringing one behind the other.

I have to imagine some people just have much more important things going on in their lives than I do.

Oh, and you know what else? Sit the hell down until people start moving. Why do I need some headphone wearing kid's nasty backpack in my face while we're all sitting there stuck. Can't everyone just stay in their seats for 3 more minutes?

<ok, done venting>

B)