The press drumbeat continues

Ukridge

Senior
Aug 27, 2002
www.usaviation.com
I can only imagine what the press in the FCs has to say about the status of United. Here, from the Flat Earth (I am not important enough to have a perch...) I see, even with the most casual of glances, that the world of reportage has caught its breath and is now in full swing in its doubts concerning United's future. A week or so past, the WSJ Europe carried a rather interesting piece that explored the question of 'just where does United stand' and 'where is it going' now that the game has begun in earnest.
Now however, I see that this seemed to have unleashed a torrent of commentary regarding the 'extraordinary precarious situation in which United finds itself whilst exiting the debt house.' Brows are again furrowed, miens wrinkled in consternation, and glances averted over the upcoming day when United stands again on its own.
My, my. Even to the far reaches on the eastern side of the water the press is full row. I well understand how many of these articles are constructed. A news item or premise is laid out and then one or two differing opinions are sought. Like a cookbook - have done it enough myself.
Yet, this seems to have taken a different flavour. First of all, who in the reaches of the hottest fires are some of these titans of the financial world that they have rendering comments. Rodney Travers of AHM consulting in Houston Texas, a bankruptcy firm (note to reader - a completely fabricated name and firm - done for illustration purposes only) has commented that United is steering into a foul wind and many unknowns lie ahead.
Unknowns???? I bloody well do not know what I am going to have for breakfast in a few hours time let alone know what the world transportation market is going to reveal to us. Does good Mr. Travers do business with the leading financial institutions and directly with United? Or is he rather something the bilge pump discharges astern?
What I am trying to say is that I am sure United has many a row to hoe and the future will be tough and full of unknowns and that tommorrow may not be like today and this and that. Certainly. Now tell and report something new to me as the traveler, investor, or decision maker.
I am convinced that some of these chaps never spent a decent day in their lives. I can well imagine that the day they were married they held their spouse close and told her "Well, you look atreat now, but in 60 years your teeth will fall out and you will be in an old-people's centre.' Hate to enjoy the moment.
Such naysaying would be better accepted if I were to learn something I do not know about the pitfalls ahead, but this vapidity is of a level I have seen only in the coverage of sport and film.
Yes, it it probably only going to get tougher. But for the moment, United has at least one day to celebrate. Let them do so in peace and let's hone the journalistic craft to a bit better than quoting a non-entity like Mr. Travers.
Let the games begin afterward!
Cheers

Ridge,

The journalistas have to cover their hind quarters squarely with doubt. They have been preaching demise for 3 years and as UA stands to exit it would make them look like they were wrong all along. Not being able to absorb any hint of being off target they now move to the "UA and the great unknown". What they don't want to talk about is that the banks have ponied up 3billion in cash to facilitate a going concern. I suppose the banks just hand out 3 billion to anyone that is asking and they don't have to present any type of plan for the use of the money. Perhaps I will stop by tommorow and ask for my 3 billion since it is so easy to do.

Reporters are no different than the yahoos that frequent this board with proclamations of great hazards for UAL. Tilton has built a solid plan on solid backing. If it does not work then we all were fooled. However, the solid LF's and the words I hear him saying in regards to the future have me firmly in his corner. I just hope we can prove the current naysayers wrong after exit just as we have proven them wrong during the BK period.

By the way anyone hear any words of concern about the future of DL or NWA lately? They have been in BK too long without coming up with a plan. Must be a liquidation just around the corner, HA!

I can only imagine what the press in the FCs has to say about the status of United. Here, from the Flat Earth (I am not important enough to have a perch...) I see, even with the most casual of glances, that the world of reportage has caught its breath and is now in full swing in its doubts concerning United's future. A week or so past, the WSJ Europe carried a rather interesting piece that explored the question of 'just where does United stand' and 'where is it going' now that the game has begun in earnest.
Now however, I see that this seemed to have unleashed a torrent of commentary regarding the 'extraordinary precarious situation in which United finds itself whilst exiting the debt house.' Brows are again furrowed, miens wrinkled in consternation, and glances averted over the upcoming day when United stands again on its own.
My, my. Even to the far reaches on the eastern side of the water the press is full row. I well understand how many of these articles are constructed. A news item or premise is laid out and then one or two differing opinions are sought. Like a cookbook - have done it enough myself.

Well, you're certainly not William Shakespeare, sorry, and rationalization won't help the situation, which is already well in hand...

..Good things ahead for most of uals employees, however this will entail some real changes indeed.

Welcome aboard, and good luck to all... ;)

**Moderator Note: Please refrain from quoting a lengthy post. It just makes it easier for everyone to read follow-on posts. Thank you.**

Shakespeare? (Or are you one who believes that he really was the 17th Earl of Oxford?) He has been dead for centuries. You are correct, I am certainly not dead and therefore we can narrow it down that of all the people who are dead, I could not be Shakespeare either :lol:

Shakespeare? (Or are you one who believes that he really was the 17th Earl of Oxford?)

I can NOT believe that you would drag out that dreadful lie again or even give it the semi-credence of repeating it. :shock: Everyone knows that QE I wrote all of "Shakespeare's" plays. (She, of course, was actually Walter Raleigh in drag.)

In regards to analysts and journalists within the US airline industry, it's easy to write about pitfalls and doom ahead without a lot of credible sources and research since it's been that way for 5 years. Most get their news from other analysts, change a few words, and say this is what's going to happen. Those who been in this industry long enough knows its cyclical, however this bottomless trench has been painstakingly long and overkill. Particularly with UA, we have been a target of destruction for quite some time. There's many out there that is never satisfied what we've accomplished, unwilling to fully understand that what we've went through, focusing only what we didn't do by looking at the numbers. Although the numbers aren't totally impressive now, I believe we have the framework built for what could be a solid United in the years ahead. Whether you despise GT or not, he did what he intended to do.... successfully emerge us out of 11. I'm cautiously skeptical about GT personally, and don't agree with some of his decisions, especially about incentives to an elite few. His next step, if he'll stick around, should be restoring employee morale and building better relations between the labor groups.

As far as comparing UA with the other majors... we're 2+ years ahead of NW/DL in restructuring with major obstacles ahead for them. But I believe they will pull it off in time. AA and CO may look good now and they're courting investors on Wall St, but they haven't done what UA has in BK. Their position puts them at a huge disadvantage against UA and will only get more difficult as this industry struggles to stay afloat. US Airways is another animal to reckon with, but they're seeing unrealized merging pains. The LCCs are doing great now, but its uncertain they will be profitable with sustained high oil prices and growing pains. As always, SWA seems to buck the trend. Of course, these are my opinions and like a**holes, everybody has them!

Do I sound like an analyst now?

Cheers

There is a tendency on the part of the press--particularly when it comes to the "Conventional Wisdom" op-ed writers--to stress doom and gloom.

As it was pointed on in an editorial I was reading today from the New York Times...
You never see a headline that reads "1,000s of airplanes landed safely today." Good news does not sell as well as bad.

And, when you come right down to it, if Conventional Business Wisdom prevailed, no airline but Southwest would be in business today. :lol: As PanAm and Eastern and others so ably demonstrated in the past, it's hard as hell to kill an airline. US Airways was toast. United was all but on the remainders table. The "analysts" hate to see any business get out of bed and walk again after they have declared the patient brain dead. (How's that for a mixed metaphor?)

Beside that, they can be pleasantly surprised, and go into detailed explanations of how they really expected such if United survives after bankruptcy, and say "I told you so" if it doesn't.

US Airways is another animal to reckon with, but they're seeing unrealized merging pains.
Cheers

Overstated. I work there and there will always be naysayers, but this employee sees it much differently. You guys have never been through a merger. This is my fourth and I can tell you this one is by FAR the easiest. Our management team takes the time to listen and I feel has done a wonderful job.

The only pains have been those FF that can't deal with the fact that there are changes that they will have to live with. Or employees unwilling to change. I see a very good coming together of both employee groups, so before you write such things as above, back them up or ask someone who works there. :)

Overstated. I work there and there will always be naysayers, but this employee sees it much differently. You guys have never been through a merger. This is my fourth and I can tell you this one is by FAR the easiest. Our management team takes the time to listen and I feel has done a wonderful job.

The only pains have been those FF that can't deal with the fact that there are changes that they will have to live with. Or employees unwilling to change. I see a very good coming together of both employee groups, so before you write such things as above, back them up or ask someone who works there. :)

Me too! I work in the west side and it is easy. I've talked to some of the east crews and they tell us the same thing. :)

I was talking about a strictly financial outlook on USAirways based on their press release back in Nov.:

"TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) -- US Airways Group Inc. warned Wednesday it faces "significant challenges" and may not perform as expected."

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/051123/us_airways_outlook.html?.v=5

I'm glad things are going well with labor issues over there. Good luck LCC

I was talking about a strictly financial outlook on USAirways based on their press release back in Nov.:

"TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) -- US Airways Group Inc. warned Wednesday it faces "significant challenges" and may not perform as expected."

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/051123/us_airways_outlook.html?.v=5

I'm glad things are going well with labor issues over there. Good luck LCC

Thanks, I read the article. All airlines have to do the same thing. You have to list POTENTIAL problems and of course the press ran with it and said this was what was happening now. Of course, they were wrong.

The morale issue might just be as big a hurdle for GT as the BK was--if he even cares...I think the 'trust' has been severely broken.

Get ready for the merger everyone. As difficult as it may be for most of you to accept, CO and UA are going to merge in the very near future.

If they merge with seniority intact, it shouldn't be too big of a deal. If they somehow decide to staple, you can expect the employees being stapled to destroy their airline before the other gets their paws on it.

Latest posts