The (stock market) Week ahead

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Besides OIL continuing to rise,...any thoughts as to what this week might bring to the Airlines/Stock market ?

I was somewhat intrigued that AA's last close was up almost 5%, while most everyone else was in the red(column).

Also noticed (with NO surprise) that US/UA were dropping like panties in a house of Ill Repute.

Somewhat surprised at CO's steady downward drop, given that they are frequently touted as a WS favorite.

I know its summertime, but the BIG BOYS must still keep tabs/buy-sell from their "cottages" on Martha's Vineyard/Nantucket.

Besides OIL continuing to rise,...any thoughts as to what this week might bring to the Airlines/Stock market ?

I was somewhat intrigued that AA's last close was up almost 5%, while most everyone else was in the red(column).

Also noticed (with NO surprise) that US/UA were dropping like panties in a house of Ill Repute.

Somewhat surprised at CO's steady downward drop, given that they are frequently touted as a WS favorite.

I know its summertime, but the BIG BOYS must still keep tabs/buy-sell from their "cottages" on Martha's Vineyard/Nantucket.

Mr. Bears, I think something is going on or coming down (as you wish) re: AMR, BA, and Iberia. There's been a bit of talk about a financial 'shot-in-the-arm' for American - that's byhaps why the stock popped up a tad.

They might be able to get ATI this go-round because of the sorry state of airlines affairs and that's also what this Bush administration has been known for - anything for business and anything to hose the worker. Others elsewhere opined re: Congress maybe lifting the 25% foreign ownership of airlines cap.

At any rate, it's comical to watch the maneuvering.

A word to the wise: If you MUST invest in airline stocks, use only the money you had planned to lose in the slots in Vegas. Do not under any circumstances invest money that you might need to live on. :lol:

How's that for an incisive grasp of the obvious!

A word to the wise: If you MUST invest in airline stocks, use only the money you had planned to lose in the slots in Vegas. Do not under any circumstances invest money that you might need to live on. :lol:

I have 252 shares. I wonder what that will get me? Lol! :lol:

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

jimntx,

I'm not so sure.

I honestly believe that those few who "run the gauntlet" successfully, will be a solid investment for years to come.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

jimntx,

I'm not so sure.

I honestly believe that those few who "run the gauntlet" successfully, will be a solid investment for years to come.

Even Robert Crandall beleived airline stocks were a bad investment..

Oil feel around $4.00 a barrell today. I think tomorrow will be interasting to see what happens if Oil continues to fall even slightly Airline Stocks will go up a bit. Personally I wouldn't even invest in Airline Stocks.

Oil feel around $4.00 a barrell today. I think tomorrow will be interasting to see what happens if Oil continues to fall even slightly Airline Stocks will go up a bit. Personally I wouldn't even invest in Airline Stocks.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

C F J,

A LOT of folks share your feeling about airline stocks !

YES, the Oil (market) FELL, and EVERYONE was "UP", but looking at today(Wed. 7/9 at 12noon(And MOST DEFINITLY, things can change VERY Sudden, before 4 Pm.) AA and UAL were UP, while EVERYONE else was DOWN, on a day that OIL rebounded.

In my UNPROFESSIONAL stock markey opinion, I believe these "Micro things" mean something to the BIG-BIG BOYS !

If the "CRAP hits the fan"..BIG TIME, you can hold up one hand, assign a finger to any airline of your choosing except AA or WN, and those "fingers/airlines" will "Bite the Dust", looong before AA !

He phrased it something like this...

"if your a billionaire who wants to become a millionaire put all your money in airline stock"

:up:

Not that it matters, but I thought that was Branson's quote.

No matter - it's true!

you can hold up one hand, assign a finger to any airline of your choosing except AA or WN, and those "fingers/airlines" will "Bite the Dust", looong before AA !

Funny, people were saying that about Pan Am & TWA not too long ago....

AA might be big and have a long history, Bears, but we learned about 95 years ago there's no such thing as unsinkable.