Timeline Of Events

Decision 2004

Veteran
Mar 12, 2004
TIMELINE OF EVENTS and CURRENT STATUS

March 12th, 2004 = AMFA filed a request for services with the National Mediation Board indicating there is a representational dispute at American Airlines. This request also filed paperwork indicating that the Craft or Class size at American Airlines is 16,014 and sufficient authorization cards were filed.

March 15th, 2004 = National Mediation Board assigned R-6998 case number, and within hours American Airlines filed the required eligibility list and signature samples to the NMB. American’s list claimed 18,698 eligible voters in the Craft or Class at American Airlines. This is 2,684 greater than the AMFA filing of 16,014. The American Airlines filing of the eligibility list and signatures stopped further collection and addendums to the submitted authorization cards per the NMB Representation Manual. More signed cards continue to be received via Post Office Box, but cannot be added.

March 25th, 2004 = National Mediation Board sets forth schedule for filing objections and challenges to the AA provided eligibility list. Deadline for challenges or objections is set at Thursday April 8th, 2004. In addition, responses from all parties to those objections must be filed by Thursday April 22nd, 2004.

March 29th, 2004 = AMFA filed an opening position statement in case R-6998 claiming that American Airlines in mad dash to stop authorization card submittal, went to great lengths to file an inaccurate and inflated list to protect the incumbent union (TWU) on American’s property. AMFA also requested an electronic version of the list to assist in the investigation of the eligibility list. AMFA requested a six week extension to the deadline to file objections to the list submitted by American.

March 31st, 2004 = The National Mediation Board grants an extension of only two weeks to file objections and challenges to the AA eligibility list. Objections and challenges must now be filed by Thursday April 22nd, 2004 and responses to those objections must now be filed by Thursday May 6th, 2004.

April 22nd, 2004 = AMFA filed the challenges and objections to the AA eligibility list. Our total protest calls out for the removal of approximately 2400 ineligible voters, supported by over 22 lbs of documents, which included more than 30 AA employee declarations. The AA voter eligibility list contained the following ineligible voters: 269 Retirees, 140 Resigned, 72 Terminated, 118 Stores Clerks, 363 Fleet Service Clerks, 80 Management, 37 Employees working at other Airlines, and the list goes on and on. The most disturbing are the 16 deceased employees that we were able to identify.

The TWU also submitted their objection to the overly inflated AA voter eligibility list of 18,698. They did not even recognize the 97 duplicates identified by the Company. Apparently they now wish to inflate the list even further by adding 2,087 questionable individuals bringing the total very close to 21,000. We are still reviewing the TWU submitted list and will file our response to this list. The TWU submitted inflation of the list of nearly 21,000 is appx. 2,300 more than the AA inflated list. In addition, this list of the TWU is nearly 5000 higher than the AMFA initial position list.

April 26th, 2004 = Jim Little of the TWU sends out a letter to all TWU Local Officers claiming that AMFA has been given an “unfairâ€￾ advantage. Little, claims he will ask the NMB to intervene and demand the company stop assisting AMFA, and begin assisting the TWU. Maybe Mr. Little should review the anti-AMFA material, including anti-AMFA videos that are allowed to be played on company computers during company time before making allegations of “unfair advantagesâ€￾. If any one has seen anti-TWU material coming through the company computers please inform your Local AMFA Organizer immediately.

April 27th, 2004 = Jim Little sends a letter to AA Vice-President of Employee Relations complaining that AMFA has been given access to information that the TWU does not have. He demands access to the same information that AMFA used in their objections and challenges submission.

April 29th, 2004 = American Airlines files for an extension of time to answer the AMFA and TWU objections and challenges to the eligibility list. Within hours of the request, the National Mediation Board grants AA’s request. This leaves May 20th, 2004 as the filing deadline for answering objections.

May 13th, 2004 = AMFA files for extension.

May 14th, 2004 = NMB granted extension of 4 Days to the 24th of May.

May 24th, 2004 = All final objection and challenge submissions sent to Investigator Hennessey. American Airlines and the TWU conceded on thousands of names that have been protested by AMFA, but then attempt to add more names of Fleet Service Clerks to the eligibility list. AA now claims the number is 18,708 which is a higher total than their original submission even after conceding that over 1,000 names from original list were invalid.

June 1st – 3rd , 2004 = AMFA Organizers stage a protest picket in front of the NMB Offices and meet with legislative representatives to inform them of what has taken place during this process.

Today June 10th, 2004 = We now await the decision of Ms. Hennessey. It has been reported that she is leaving the National Mediation Board Offices and going to the National Labor Relations Board Office on Monday June 14th, 2004. Thus we expect a decision very soon.

June 1st – 3rd , 2004 = AMFA Organizers stage a protest picket in front of the NMB Offices and meet with legislative representatives to inform them of what has taken place during this process.

What has transpired and what did the legislative representatives say to you. Who were the legislative representatives ?

Nightwatch said:
What has transpired and what did the legislative representatives say to you. Who were the legislative representatives ?
Maybe we will let you read the thank-you letters as they are written!!!

Rusty said:
Maybe we will let you read the thank-you letters as they are written!!!
Rusty, that would be fine but not necessary. I have a file of my own thank you letters from being an AFL-CIO activist for years. I was simply asking who you spoke with is all, just nosy me.

And Decision, I question your methods.

Nightwatch said:
Rusty, that would be fine but not necessary. I have a file of my own thank you letters from being an AFL-CIO activist for years. I was simply asking who you spoke with is all, just nosy me.

I have a file of my own thank you letters from being an AFL-CIO activist for years.

And what did that do for the mechanic craft and class at American Airlines?

Nightwatch said:

nw, I was wondering how many of your thank you letters might relate to fighting against outsourced maintenance. How has your being an afl-cio activist helped our craft and class at USAir?

Being an activist is something everyone should be to better our profession. However, I do not see the afl-cio being a great activist for our craft.

Actually I have seven letters reference to outsourcing. I care about my profession as much as you I am certain. Our opinions differ, this seems to be our only difference (except for perhaps the extreme verbage at times). I do not see AMFA supporters as the enemy, not what so ever. I see them/you as myself, caring and upset about the change to our industry, and the direction it seems to be heading. I constantly "Google search" and have read more articles than I care to count, AMFA just does not seem to befitting for me. At one time AMFA held an edge in the concessionary stance. Due to our changing industry, not ineptness on AMFA's behalf, AMFA has changed it's direction. Currently if you review most recent history of AMFA you will find AMFA holds no edge. AMFA, due to the NMB and not due to their own inability, will not be a true class and craft union/association. I personally have never felt that the lower classifications hurt my agenda, I have and still believe in the AFL-CIO. You see, our agenda and opinions differ, yet I believe in your struggle, I believe you have the right to voice your strife and attempt to change. I do NOT believe in what I have read about AMFA's underhanded mannerisms in obtaining certain lists, I won't carry on about that item, but if it was obtained by other than allowed sources then it is wrong.

I'm spent from working two jobs so I tend to blabber on.

I have the AMFA Edge right here...

The Concept of “Craft or Classâ€￾

This is Federal Legal concept “Craft or Classâ€￾

In accordance with the Railway Labor Act, the Federal Government has decided that certain work groups have a mutuality of interest at the bargaining table and in advancing worker related issues, and that groups outside of that particular craft or class should have no participation in how the union is run or at least in the initial decision as to who represents that work group. And so Pilots vote with Pilots, and Flight Attendants as matter of law are prohibited from voting with the Pilots. And in turn, the Pilots are prohibited by law from voting with the Flight Attendants because they are considered to be in different Craft or Classes by the National Mediation Board. And Mechanic and Related Workers within the Airline Industry are entitled by law to vote just amongst themselves.

Supporters of the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA) believe that it comprises our mission to remain associated within a union structure with other crafts or classes that according to Federal Government do NOT share our mutuality of interest. The mission is further compromised when we remain associated with other crafts or classes within the union structure of “majority ruleâ€￾ and our particular craft or class is the minority in size. The Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA) is the only union in this current debate at American Airlines that says “We will forbid ourselvesâ€￾, it will be unconstitutional for us to go and represent baggage handlers, flight attendants, or passenger service clerks, and we will not let ourselves do that because this would compromise our mission. We wish the baggage handlers and other crafts or classes on the property the very best, but they cannot pick our pockets, we wish them to get the very best on their own, but they should no longer be allowed to ride on our backs. In other words, it is time for the airline industry to decouple the mechanic vs. baggage handler pay and benefit structure. It is suffice to say that since deregulation of the airline industry which since enactment has created enormous competition and pressure on airline ticket pricing, and that has resulted in the craft or class of mechanic and related workers suffering in economic buying power, and especially when compared to the Pilots and Flight Attendants who at American belong to craft specific unions. In the mid 1970’s, the Flight Attendants of American Airlines were also represented by the Transport Workers Union of American (TWU), and just as the mechanics today seek a change to a craft specific union, they also left the TWU in favor of the independent Association of Professional Flight Attendants (APFA) The craft or class of Mechanic and Related at American Airlines can no longer afford to remain in an organization that advocates a linking of different work groups that according to law do not share a mutuality of interest.

Regardless of good or bad economic times, and regardless of whether the union is negotiating concessions to prevent a bankruptcy filing or negotiating from economic growth with corporate profits, the formula by which the economic pie is divided amongst the union membership is a union decision. The recent concession are a clear case in point, because American Airlines was demanding $620 Million in concessions from the TWU, but how those give backs were divided up was a union decision, not a company decision. And the facts are clear, that the craft or class of Mechanic and Related at American took more than our fair share of that amount, and it is also clear this was a union decision.

AMFA IS THE RIGHT CHOICE FOR SKILLED TECHNICIANS

Nightwatch said:
Actually I have seven letters reference to outsourcing. I care about my profession as much as you I am certain. Our opinions differ, this seems to be our only difference (except for perhaps the extreme verbage at times). I do not see AMFA supporters as the enemy, not what so ever. I see them/you as myself, caring and upset about the change to our industry, and the direction it seems to be heading. I constantly "Google search" and have read more articles than I care to count, AMFA just does not seem to befitting for me. At one time AMFA held an edge in the concessionary stance. Due to our changing industry, not ineptness on AMFA's behalf, AMFA has changed it's direction. Currently if you review most recent history of AMFA you will find AMFA holds no edge. AMFA, due to the NMB and not due to their own inability, will not be a true class and craft union/association. I personally have never felt that the lower classifications hurt my agenda, I have and still believe in the AFL-CIO. You see, our agenda and opinions differ, yet I believe in your struggle, I believe you have the right to voice your strife and attempt to change. I do NOT believe in what I have read about AMFA's underhanded mannerisms in obtaining certain lists, I won't carry on about that item, but if it was obtained by other than allowed sources then it is wrong.

I'm spent from working two jobs so I tend to blabber on.
Why are you working two jobs?