Time Is Ticking, Nmb To Rule This Week?

Checking it Out

Veteran
Apr 3, 2003
AA union parties see ruling soon

By D.R. STEWART World Staff Writer
6/16/2004

A vote is being sought to change the airline's mechanics affiliation.
Federal authorities are expected to rule this week on whether more than 16,000 American Airlines mechanics will hold a union representation election this summer.

Although the incumbent Transport Workers Union has represented American mechanics since 1946, the insurgent Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association has capitalized on widespread discontent among American mechanics over the past year.

Resentment began emerging a year ago after mechanics were forced to accept 25 percent wage and benefit cuts to keep American from filing a bankruptcy petition. Altogether, American's mechanics, pilots and flight attendants agreed to wage and benefit reductions totaling $1.8 billion over five years.

In March, AMFA filed documents with the National Mediation Board for an election, claiming it had signed authorization cards from 60 percent of American's mechanics. AMFA needs signed cards from 50 percent plus one of American's mechanics to hold an election
During the past month, the National Mediation Board has sifted through lists of eligible union voters submitted by the airline and the two unions. Dave Stewart, AMFA's co-chairman in Tulsa, said AMFA submitted a list of 16,014 mechanics eligible to vote in a representation election.

Rick Mullings, spokesman for Local 514 of the TWU, said the union's list includes 18,400 eligible voters.

American spokesman Sonja Whitemon said the company's eligibility list contains 18,600 names.

National Mediation Board spokesman Rachel Barbour said the group would have no comment until a board decision is reached.

Don Rodgers, AMFA co-chairman in Tulsa, said AMFA attorneys have learned that a board decision is expected this week.

"The longer it takes, the better it is for us because it shows they are looking at each individual person" who is eligible to vote, Rodgers said. "I have a very positive feeling at this time. I think they are going to put this thing to a vote." AMFA supporters accuse the TWU and the company of stuffing the eligibility list to dilute AMFA support.

"The company's eligibility list includes 16 deceased people and 1,200 errors overall," Rodgers said. "American Airlines built the Sabre (computer) system. They don't have glitches of 1,200 people. If the company admits to 1,200 mistakes, how is the National Mediation Board to believe the rest of their list?"

American, which must remain neutral in the representation dispute, clearly has a lot to lose if AMFA wins an election.

Although AMFA would be compelled to adhere to the five-year contract, it would be far less likely to agree to further concessions if the economy or the industry soured, AMFA spokesmen said. Even with the concessions, American's future is not secure.

Industrywide losses are expected to be $2.2 billion in 2004. American, the world's largest airline, is facing hot competition from discount carriers and surplus capacity that constrains its ability to raise ticket prices.

The TWU's Mullings said American and the union are in unfamiliar territory, which accounts for the discrepancies in the eligibility lists. "We've never been through a National Mediation Board election since the 1940s, so we have never had to go to the point of finding out who is in the class and craft of mechanic under NMB rules," Mulling said.

Under NMB rules, a mechanic is defined as a person who spends the majority of his or her time working on aircraft or buildings and equipment that support aircraft. "Until somebody challenges you in an election, you don't know how many people there are in the class and craft of mechanic," Mulling said. "The NMB doesn't care what American Airlines or the Transport Workers Union calls you."

D.R. Stewart 581-8451
[email protected]

Note the lies, Even the Amfa wannabes are unfamiliar with our Contract! Also note the editor with the Tulsa World cannot even keep his time frame correct!

I suspect the NMB is looking very closely at all the cards submitted by Amfa and are going to toss out any in question! Since Amfa has been caught using unethical tactics.

Well we will know within the next 72 hours!!! Since the NMB is going to have a movement of personal later this week.

I notice Dave Stewart or Don rodgers declined to tell the author of this article the discrepencies and illegal behavior by AMFA. Wonder why???

That's okay, the NMB knows!!!!!

Well it looks like the NMB may make a decision today! As of yet no determination has been decided!! Details to follow!!!!!

Decision 2004 said:
THERE HAS BEEN AN ELECTION GRANTED !!!!

DETAILS SOON !!!!!
Hey, this is just one person's opinion but I think Dave Stewart is blowing smoke. It's kind of like everything else he's been saying for the past year.

KIRK WELLS :blink: was running around AFW today with his "WHERE'S THE SHARED SACRIFICE" shirt telling everybody to vote for the EVIL TWU :down: in the upcoming election. Looks like AMFA had plenty of cards and the TWU/AA FRAUDULANT list has been discredited! :up:

Here's some official information. . .

The number stands at 18,661 eligible voters in the craft and class at AA as determined by the NMB. They chose NOT to schedule an election!!!! AMFA will have 2 weeks to appeal this number so currently only amfa and the NMB know if there is enough signed authorization cards. My bet is they don't have enough. My math says they need 9331 signed cards. Do they have that many??? I guess we will find out!!

I guess this could mean Dave Stewart is a LIAR!!!!!!!!!

twuer said:
I guess this could mean Dave Stewart is a LIAR!!!!!!!!!
No, this means there is more corruption in AA/twu and the NMB than is conscionable!!!

Ladies and Gentlemen,

My, my, my now hasn't this been a long time coming? For the last year you amfa pukes have been spouting about how professional, educated and smart you are and in Dave’s famous words, "just wait and see what's next". Well today's the day! NOW WHO IS THE LIAR? Once again, where's the skill, knowledge and integrity? Once again amfa has snatched defeat from the jaws of victory! Yes folks, the fog is lifting and the picture is becoming more clear....amfa sells a bill of goods to there own supporters. "We have enough, we have enough", will the amfa lies ever stop? Frankly, I doubt it! Are you boys going to say now that the TWU influenced the NMB? I thought the evil TWU had no political clout, which is it? Or did your picket have some type negative impact (dang that shoe leatha, great STATIGERY)? Come on, come up with some more excuses why YOU LOST!!! The fact is people are smarter than you give them credit for and doesn't it speak volumes about who the people choose when you can't get enough cards even with the effects of 9/11. So go ahead and proclaim the amfa is the all mighty, but know this.....the TWU just handed your ass to you by way of the NMB! OUCH!!!! Um can we stop arguing now? You guys have a great TWU day and any time you want to leave the daycare and come back to reality, you’ll be more than welcome!

jake said:
Ladies and Gentlemen,

My, my, my now hasn't this been a long time coming? For the last year you amfa pukes have been spouting about how professional, educated and smart you are and in Dave’s famous words, "just wait and see what's next". Well today's the day! NOW WHO IS THE LIAR? Once again, where's the skill, knowledge and integrity? Once again amfa has snatched defeat from the jaws of victory! Yes folks, the fog is lifting and the picture is becoming more clear....amfa sells a bill of goods to there own supporters. "We have enough, we have enough", will the amfa lies ever stop? Frankly, I doubt it! Are you boys going to say now that the TWU influenced the NMB? I thought the evil TWU had no political clout, which is it? Or did your picket have some type negative impact (dang that shoe leatha, great STATIGERY)? Come on, come up with some more excuses why YOU LOST!!! The fact is people are smarter than you give them credit for and doesn't it speak volumes about who the people choose when you can't get enough cards even with the effects of 9/11. So go ahead and proclaim the amfa is the all mighty, but know this.....the TWU just handed your ass to you by way of the NMB! OUCH!!!! Um can we stop arguing now? You guys have a great TWU day and any time you want to leave the daycare and come back to reality, you’ll be more than welcome!
Well as Yogi Barra said, it aint over till its over. From what I hear she ruled on the number, AMFA can appeal the number. Besides we will just follow the example of UAL and file again in another year. In another year the full impact of the concessions will be even more of a burden as the inflationary impact of soaring gas prices takes its toll. Now that we have an exact number, and a list it will be easier to get the required cards.

Lets not forget that two years ago the TWU claimed 2000 less than they are now plus the comments by an NMB official, who is supposed to be neutral at the COPE Convention last year.

While the TWU may have some clout with the NMB that clout is limited to helping the TWU to keep screwing workers.

Bob, I think you are stretching,

Has anyone seen the press release from Amfa? It seems they are quick to respond in most cases, Has the cat caught their tongue?

Dave, we are still waiting to see the documentation where an election has been granted?

Checking it Out said:
Bob, I think you are stretching,

Has anyone seen the press release from Amfa? It seems they are quick to respond in most cases, Has the cat caught their tongue?

Dave, we are still waiting to see the documentation where an election has been granted?
cio, we are still waiting to see the documentation where an election will not be granted. AMFA will have enough cards for an election after AMFA files their arguments to Ms. Hennessey's ruling of who is and who is not eligible. Until then stay warm and protected behind your alias.

GO AMFA!

Latest posts