Timmmberrrrrr.......

Analysts and their analogies! The Texans may have lost the battle of the Alamo, bu they won the war! Or is the analogy that it is Bruce Lakefield as Santa Ana, with a larger force wil destroy the small force of Texans, but lose the war?

WNforlife,

You really need to get a life! and fast!
This is not a sporting event; and, as much as i attack your overzealous, if psychotic allegiance to your airline (which, i guess, is also your life...so, i rescind my initial advise), the more determined you become to heckle and annoy the hardworking employees at usair?!? if swa has an eap program, i heartfully suggest you take advantage of its psychological services! and, should you pursue that advice, you will certainly see that the only thing going "timmmberrrrrr..." is what little clarity and psychological stability you have left!!!
pjn

Legacy-to-LCC

As an employee of SWA, my 6th airline of which two are legacies still in business, it is very unkind and downright repulsive for any other airline employee to show any kind of joy of what state that USair is in or any other airline for that matter. Most all of SWA's employees feel the same. We are all operating in a depressed industry and I hope and pray for its full recovery soon. Although SWA is doing OK right now it is a long race. Unless we are careful, we are just as vulnerable as any other airline.

I do hope the best for ALL in the airline industry.

Southwest has never come to kill an airline with a hub while not primarily geared for European service but with many flights to Europe. Usair"s answer has to be " not what SW is", Us offers First Class and international flights. PHL-NRT should be a big prioity even if it has to be wet leased with a UA 777. US's lack of NRT in this day and age is truly unphamomable to me.

SW 28 flight by july 6 are only about 3400 seats daily, but Us needs to find an weakness at SW. If I were US I would hire Jack Welch and/or Bob Crandall, desperate times call for desperate measures.

The answer lies not in one airline "killing" or "chasing off" another...it is finding a way to co-exist. You don't have to look very hard to find major aiports/cities where WN focus cities peacefully co-exists right alongside a legacy carrier or established LCC. WN has done it in STL with TW/AA, in PHX with HP. In Dallas and Houston WN operates successful focus cities right across town from AA and CO strongholds everyone seems to be hanging in there. Just look at Chicago, you've got AA and UA over at ORD and WN and TZ at MDW. When fares come down, for good...more people travel and there is enough business to keep everyone fat and giggly. History has shown that the best way to deal with coming home to find SWA Gold...or Canyon Blue in your backyard is to "right-size" your fares, differentiate your product, advertise it with confidence and watch the $$ roll in.

answerman said:
Legacy-to-LCC

As an employee of SWA, my 6th airline of which two are legacies still in business, it is very unkind and downright repulsive for any other airline employee to show any kind of joy of what state that USair is in or any other airline for that matter. Most all of SWA's employees feel the same. We are all operating in a depressed industry and I hope and pray for its full recovery soon. Although SWA is doing OK right now it is a long race. Unless we are careful, we are just as vulnerable as any other airline.

SWAFA30,
i am not entirely certain how to read your post. however, (and the best professor i ever had cautioned me from starting sentences with a 'however') your colleague has wished the demise of usair for some time now!!! to consider usair an entity is one thing; to consider the 30k+ jobs and lives at stake is quite another. as much as we want our careers to last, despite the competition, it is never acceptable to wish people on the street!!!! that is a universal claim! and not one to be taken lightly!!!! and, your colleague did that!!! like this is a soccer match!!! NO! i am sorry, there are lives and families at stake, here!!! this is not something to be proud of!!! you should admonish that employee!!! co-existence would be ideal!!! but, we offer a superior product!!! we will prevail, i assure you that!!! but don't, not for a minute, think that wishing people's livliehood into the drains is acceptable!!! again, this is not a game!!! and, to be sure, we will defend and prevail...if only because of ignorant people like WNforever!!!
be well,
pjn

Legacy-to-lcc

It is a cold fact but every company has the type of person you are talking about. Because Southwest has been doing better than others off and on for a couple economic cycles we have certainly been the target of many in the industry. I use to be one of those. I know the feeling on both sides of the fence. The fact is SWA is beefing up on security and giving our PHL employees some security information to watch their back. The company is afraid of actions of a few unwise USair employees. This is serious stuff. WNforever does not represent the attitude of our 37,000 employees. As well as the Captain of the USair A320 that tried to cut me off in LAX taxiing to the gate while the ground controller told the USair A320 to "slow down and follow the SWA 737!" I must say one of the most unprofessional acts of operating an aircraft in the 18 years i have been in the airline business. I know this pilot does not represent the 30,000 employees of USair. As well you should know that about us.

Respectfully,

Answerman

legacy-to-LCC said:
SWAFA30,
i am not entirely certain how to read your post. however, (and the best professor i ever had cautioned me from starting sentences with a 'however') your colleague has wished the demise of usair for some time now!!! to consider usair an entity is one thing; to consider the 30k+ jobs and lives at stake is quite another. as much as we want our careers to last, despite the competition, it is never acceptable to wish people on the street!!!! that is a universal claim! and not one to be taken lightly!!!! and, your colleague did that!!! like this is a soccer match!!! NO! i am sorry, there are lives and families at stake, here!!! this is not something to be proud of!!! you should admonish that employee!!! co-existence would be ideal!!! but, we offer a superior product!!! we will prevail, i assure you that!!! but don't, not for a minute, think that wishing people's livliehood into the drains is acceptable!!! again, this is not a game!!! and, to be sure, we will defend and prevail...if only because of ignorant people like WNforever!!!
be well,
pjn
I seriously question whether WNrforlife (who's post appears to have been deleted) is even an employee at all. I know several LUV employees. And not a single one of them is "thrilled" to "kill" another airline. I think WNrforlife's mission is to stir the pot AGAINST Southwest airlines and their employees. Just my opinion

SWAFA30,
i am not entirely certain how to read your post.[

I think I was pretty straightforward. But, I have always been guilty of using 100 words when 10 will do. The gist of my post was that it is not necessarily the case that for US to live WN must die or vice versa. It is possible for both companies to operate alongside one another and make money.

however, (and the best professor i ever had cautioned me from starting sentences with a 'however') your colleague has wished the demise of usair for some time now!!! to consider usair an entity is one thing; to consider the 30k+ jobs and lives at stake is quite another. as much as we want our careers to last, despite the competition, it is never acceptable to wish people on the street!!!! that is a universal claim! and not one to be taken lightly!!!! and, your colleague did that!!! like this is a soccer match!!! NO! i am sorry, there are lives and families at stake, here!!! this is not something to be proud of!!! you should admonish that employee!!! co-existence would be ideal!!! but, we offer a superior product!!! we will prevail, i assure you that!!! but don't, not for a minute, think that wishing people's livliehood into the drains is acceptable!!! again, this is not a game!!! and, to be sure, we will defend and prevail...if only because of ignorant people like WNforever!!!
be well,

You're using up perfectly good exclamation points on the wrong screenname. Got a problem with WNforLife or WNforever or whoever...take it up with him....or her. It is not my place to "admonish" them or anyone else...we're all grown ups here...and as such entitled to our own opinions. There are plenty of bitter, vindictive US haters to be found on this board, I'm not one of them.

answerman said:
Legacy-to-LCC

Excellent post.
Its time all airline employees realized were in this together. What happens to labor at one airline affects all of us sooner or later. I wish you guys at US the best of luck. AA mechanic.

1) The Originator of this posting is an acknowledged US Airways Pilot that has encouraged every Unionized Labor Group at US Airways to accept each of their THREE concession packages while NEVER challenging MANAGEMENT.

2) The Originator of this posting never acknowledges that SWA is more UNIONIZED than US Airways AND is paid, on average, a HIGHER WAGE for the Pilots, Mechanics and Ramp.---SWA is playing hardball with their Flight Attendants.

3) The Originator of this posting never acknowledges that the structure of SWA is the key to allowing higher PAY and LOWER TICKET PRICES than US Airways.

Herb's "battle crys" and employees showing up at HQ in grease paint and camoflage..., enough of the folksy "oh golly gee, we're just trying to make a livin' like everyone else" line. SWA is a fierce competitor who aims for destruction of the competition. It is a lesson learned early on against BN and AA. No need to be embarassed of who you are.

Latest posts