Not open for further replies.

chucky

Senior
Sep 13, 2006
Man sues JetBlue for making him sit on toilet
Monday May 12, 6:22 pm ET
By Samuel Maull, Associated Press Writer
NYC man sues JetBlue, says pilot made him sit on toilet seat for most of flight

NEW YORK (AP) -- A New York City man is suing JetBlue Airways Corp. for more than $2 million because he says a pilot made him give up his seat to a flight attendant and sit on the toilet for more than three hours on a flight from California.

Gokhan Mutlu, of Manhattan's Inwood section, says in court papers the pilot told him to "go 'hang out' in the bathroom" about 90 minutes into the San Diego to New York flight because the flight attendant complained that the "jump seat" she was assigned was uncomfortable, the lawsuit said.

Mutlu was traveling on a a "buddy pass," a standby travel voucher that JetBlue employees give to friends, from New York to San Diego on Feb. 16, and returned to New York on Feb. 23, the lawsuit said.

Initially, Mutlu was told a flight attendant had taken the last seat on the plane, but then he was advised she would sit in the employee "jump seat," meaning he could have the last seat, the lawsuit said.

The pilot told him 1 1/2 hours into the five-hour flight that he would have to relinquish the seat to the flight attendant, court papers say. But the pilot said that Mutlu could not sit in the jump seat because only JetBlue employees were permitted to sit there, the lawsuit said.

Link

Man sues JetBlue for making him sit on toilet
Monday May 12, 6:22 pm ET
By Samuel Maull, Associated Press Writer
NYC man sues JetBlue, says pilot made him sit on toilet seat for most of flight

NEW YORK (AP) -- A New York City man is suing JetBlue Airways Corp. for more than $2 million because he says a pilot made him give up his seat to a flight attendant and sit on the toilet for more than three hours on a flight from California.

Gokhan Mutlu, of Manhattan's Inwood section, says in court papers the pilot told him to "go 'hang out' in the bathroom" about 90 minutes into the San Diego to New York flight because the flight attendant complained that the "jump seat" she was assigned was uncomfortable, the lawsuit said.

Mutlu was traveling on a a "buddy pass," a standby travel voucher that JetBlue employees give to friends, from New York to San Diego on Feb. 16, and returned to New York on Feb. 23, the lawsuit said.

Initially, Mutlu was told a flight attendant had taken the last seat on the plane, but then he was advised she would sit in the employee "jump seat," meaning he could have the last seat, the lawsuit said.

The pilot told him 1 1/2 hours into the five-hour flight that he would have to relinquish the seat to the flight attendant, court papers say. But the pilot said that Mutlu could not sit in the jump seat because only JetBlue employees were permitted to sit there, the lawsuit said.

Link

Something doesn't add up on this story..but in any case here you go again with someone who is on a "buddy pass" who has a problem.. Now this dude is going to sue jetblue for 2 mil..I guess this #### doesn't care about the job of the person who gave him that pass does he? I hope he wins so he can support his buddy who is going to lose his job and his family..

He got his seat back after the aircraft hit some bad air, hmm, you think the crew knew they screwed up by putting him in the bathroom with no seatbelt? Assuming the article is correct, he was given a seat, why after an hour and a half in flight shoud he give it up? This has nothing to do with ungrateful non-revs or buddy pass holders, this has to do with a very bad choice by the capt and a whiney FA....

This has nothing to do with ungrateful non-revs or buddy pass holders, this has to do with a very bad choice by the capt and a whiney FA....

You are absolutely 100% correct. It was an abuse of crewmember authority in order to manipulate, intimidate, and ultimately humiliate this individual. I hope he prevails...

I think this story has legs and I believe it. There is nothing in the article that seems far fetched.
In this case I would fault the Captain and the F/A. The Captain for not making the F/A sit on
the jumpseat. (The man in question cannot sit on the jumpseat otherwise he probably would have), and the F/A who took the man's seat for acting like a spoiled prima donna (to use a better term) :down:
Whether or not it should have lead towards a lawsuit is a different matter altogether.

Hey guys...

Just popping on from another airline....but I read about this story in the paper this morning and it made me laugh actually! I think there is certainly more to this story than what the paper is reporting. I tend to believe employees over pax...call me crazy. But ya gotta love the airline industry....never a dull moment!!!!

peace out....

:down: I can't believe there are those who actually are cheering this bonebrain on :down:

If it does happen and he wins, it will open the door for other frivolous lawsuits for ALL airlines! But who cares, right?

He was on a 'Buddy Pass' meaning he paid $0 for his trip. If I'm not mistaking he is on stand-by and is accomodated if a seat is available. The f/a probably should have voiced an opinion on the jumpseat early, that way the BOZO would have watched the aircraft leave without him.

He is a free-pass guest and should be happy even if they tie him to a wing as far as I am concerned. Maybe if he was stranded for a week because there were no seats, would have woke him up. He got lucky to get the toilet because this avoided the mad dash to the airport restrooms whenever a plane lands and is unloaded!

Now the employee that provided him the pass has to live with the ultimate WRONG decision. I hope the lawsuit gets thrown out, or God help all the airlines!

There has to be more to this story.....

In the nearly 20 years I've been in the airline industry I have NEVER heard anything even remotely like this happening. Maybe words were exchanged between the buddy passer and the flight attendant, maybe not. We don't know. But telling the buddy passer he has to sit in the lav? Don't think so.

He was on a 'Buddy Pass' meaning he paid $0 for his trip...

He is a free-pass guest and should be happy even if they tie him to a wing as far as I am concerned...
Buddy passes are not free. As a matter of fact, at most airlines for most routes they cost nearly as much as the deeply discounted advanced purchase excursion fares.

Buddy passes are not free. As a matter of fact, at most airlines for most routes they cost nearly as much as the deeply discounted advanced purchase excursion fares.

Very true. But even if the "guest" pass were free, is that how one is supposed to treat a guest? ----

"Uh...we're all going to sit here in our recliners and have some drinks and snacks while we watch TV. Why don't you go sit in the can while we do that?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back