Toronto to Fort Lauderdale, stop in Atlanta (Delta) baggage question

ilc

Jan 9, 2011
Hi everyone!

I think this is the 1st time we're taking a connecting flight (I can't remember if I've ever flown one, it's been that long)! We're flying Toronto to Fort Lauderdale, with a layover in Atlanta.

I called Delta with a question on another matter and the rep told me that when I reach Atlanta for our stopover (75 min), I have to get our luggage and then re-check it on another carousel before catching our connecting flight to Fort Lauderdale.

I asked a colleague who said that doesn't sound right. Did the rep give me the wrong info? I'll call again, but wanted to post here for your feedback.

I didn't know I had to do anything with the luggage at all? I thought the luggage goes through to Fort Lauderdale and all I have to do is clear customs and find the gate for my connecting flight.

I haven't flown for so long that I don't have a clue obviously!

Thanks in advance!

This may be incorrect, but this is what I think is happening here. Because the Toronto-Atlanta leg is an "International" flight, you must clear Customs and Immigration. AFAIK, you do that in Toronto as happens with most Canada to the U.S. flights. However, I'm not sure that TSA clears your luggage in Toronto. It's simply a matter of claiming your luggage at one carousel and returning to the Delta baggage employees at another carousel in the same big room.

It gives TSA a chance to search your luggage if you look "suspicious." So, put on your best innocent Canadian face, and you'll do fine. :lol:

Flying out of YYZ you will clear US CUSTOMS there. If FLL is your final that is where you will pick up your BAG. YYZ and other Canadian Cities have long been staffed with US CUSTOMS agents prior to leaving Canada. Your ticket most likely is ETKT ( Electonic so your bag will be checked to your final destination.

Even though DL told the passenger that he will have to claim his luggage at ATL and recheck it? Let's hope he doesn't arrive in FLL with no luggage.
I would hope that the poster has enough sense to read his luggage tag in Toronto and see where his bags are going. IF he is already CLEARED in Toronto, he would have no reason to look for his bags anywhere except at FLL. This is a nonrev pax, yes?

I asked a colleague who said that doesn't sound right. Did the rep give me the wrong info? I'll call again, but wanted to post here for your feedback.

Latest posts