Question regarding upcoming Delta Flight Long Layover - PLEASE HELP

rcpbean

Oct 23, 2007
I am flying from Denver to the Dominican Republic next month. My flight stops and connects once in Atlanta. There is 14 hours between leg one and leg two. I would like to leave the airport and spend the night in a hotel in Atlanta and then return to the airport the following morning for my connecting flight to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. I am checking my bags. So I have two questions... 1) Will I be allowed to the leave the airport and return for my connecting flight. 2) What will happen to my checked luggage between the 1st and 2nd flight during those 14 hours? And is it possible to take my luggage with me or will I be required to keep it "checked?" Please offer any help, as I need to begin making hotel arrangements in Atlanta if it's possible to leave during a long layover. Thanks!

The question is why did you book such a connection? TSA rules state you can not short check your luggage (meaning it had to be checked to your final destination. But back to the booking did your purposely book a connection with this long layover. If my fare rules are current you are only allowed to book this if it is the last flight of the night and the next connecting flight. Also it depends on what kind of agent checks you in on the day of flight. MORE info is needed in order to give you exact replies.

a 14hr layover is not a layover, it is a stop over...When you check in advise the agent that you are traveling to Atlanta because that will be your final destination for that day...We, Delta, will not check a bag for a layover of more then 12hrs...When you arrive in Atlanta you can claim your bag, leave the airport and plan to return the next day for your next flight to the Dominican Republic

Latest posts