Transformation Plan Update

geo1004 said:
Methinks you would be wise to see if new non-stops from LGA are added as a result of the PIT reductions? This new plan does mention that significant point-to-point additions will be made in the key markets of DC, NYC and BOS.
Perhaps they will be good or adequate additions or perhaps not. I dont see that there is a compelling reason to wait. If they are good that would be okay. If not I would have wasted my time flying on a carrier that wouldnt provide the type flights I would need in the future. Frankly, I know what I get on AA and UA now. I dont need to bet.

In the past, US Airways has downsized the various bases to such a small number so that when they DO close a base there aren't many folks left TO pay for relocation. I'm not sure if they still pay. Pitbull would be a good one to ask.

The added problem to downsizing PIT for the f/a's is that hear we go again with the bumping around as PIT is downsized and the time is moved to other bases.

In any case, it is not pretty. There are two choices when these things happen. 1. Wait until the end for them to move you. or 2. Get the hell out before it gets ugly.

I recommend the latter.

firstamendment said:
The folks from LAX, SFO, SAN, SYR, BWI, MIA, and agents from DAY, IND, the west coast, and Florida understand and feel your pain. You are now experiencing the pain and anguish that many over the years have felt. Like all the others, you will either do what you have to do or b**** about it. Advice? Go talk to the former PSA f/a's. Those people are troopers. <_<
They sure are. The senior former PSA F/As were a pleasure to work with, a real class act... I can't imagine what they go through on that commute.

For a very long time before and for about a year after 9/11, it seemed like every flight I took to or from SFO or LAX or SAN at least one pilot or FA commuting.

RowUnderDCA said:
I have to tell you, I find Clue brilliant about everything except Pittsburgh. It baffles me that he actually recommends U staying at PIT, in part, because of monopoly pricing! Either U is going to continue to pursue this bad karma strategy and 'melt like an iceberg floating south' or it's going to change. If it changes, it changes without PIT as big as it is. I always thought that PIT with smaller aircraft providing convenient and efficient connectivity up and down the East made some sense, if the airport costs could come down, but they didn't fast enough. It's the 'do what's good for me, even if it makes no internal sense' attitude coming from the PIT posters that seems SO consistent. What's in the water up there?

So, which is it, Clue: charge monopoly prices at PIT or not. Or charge them to everyone except Clue?

I always had positive impressions of Pittsburgh, until I started reading this board.
Row:

It's because PIT overall is a better option than PHL
could ever be. No matter how much O&D traffic PHL
produces at lower airport costs, it still can't beat PIT
for operational and connecting efficiency. This will
become even more evident when WN drives up the
cost of doing business in PHL by pummeling the
formerly high yields that US was commanding in
PHL. I have said it a thousand times, when was
the last time PIT had significant operational delays
related to WX or ATC or better yet, PAWOB delivery
costs in the $60,000 range per day? Delays cost
money because fuel is not cheap. When you have ATC
and WX delays in PHL, the costs associated with
extra engine run time and missed connections far
outweigh the revenue and cost advantages that
seem to be the mantra of the company. I will say
this for the 100th time, when WN runs US out of PHL
as they did in BWI and LAX, PIT will be the premier
east coast hub and the idiots in CCY will have
egg on their faces.

Today US Airways ALPA spokesman Captain Jack Stephen told the Beaver County Times, "The demographics of Pittsburgh and Charlotte don't support a strong point-to-point network because there are not a lot of people there. ... Pittsburgh and Charlotte still have to rely on connections in and out of the city," Stephan said.

Still, Stephan said, "there's a commitment on the part of the airline to remain Pittsburgh's No. 1 airline. I think that's not going to change, but how they realign the flying is a matter of strategy."

Click here for complete story

Regards,

USA320Pilot

ktflyhome said:
I have a question: If Pit becomes a focus city and no longer a Hub. Would it still be a base??? In the past when Bases closed the company paid for relocation. Wonder what would happen in Pit??? And do they still even pay for relocation at all?

And you are right First Amendment, I have talked to many who have commuted from the West Coast, Kudos to them all. :up:
Kt,

Your answer is: Yes, and yes.

Located in the contract Section 5

USA320Pilot said:
Today US Airways ALPA spokesman Captain Jack Stephen told the Beaver County Times, "The demographics of Pittsburgh and Charlotte don't support a strong point-to-point network because there are not a lot of people there. ... Pittsburgh and Charlotte still have to rely on connections in and out of the city," Stephan said.
Last I checked, Jack Stephan was in the pointy end of a plane, not in marketing and planning.

But let's assume that he midnights as a demographer:

The PIT MSA has roughly 2.5 million people.

Some other markets which, if you believe Captain Jack, "don't support a strong point to point network":

BNA--1.2 million people in the MSA.
RDU--1.2 million people in the MSA.

Want to know what both have in common? They used to be hubs.

Want to know what they have in common now? Strong "point to point" networks.

Makes a good sound bite, but an educated person can see that our good Captain is drinking too much of the company kool-aide or talking out of his posterior orifice without doing some basic research beforehand.