Tsa challenge

Nightman1961

Newbie
Oct 17, 2015
2
0
So, I'm pretty new to line/Suda operations. A few days ago after an 11 hr shift, also 10 minutes before clock out time, Tsa performed a bait operation. A woman walked past me, then came back and said I didn't challenge her for not having a badge. She took my badge number. Haven't heard anything yet, but was wondering if anyone else has lived thru this, and how bad could it be. Google search showed many airports policy being a 1st offense 1 day suspension of badge, a small fine and retake Sida training. Nothing on tsa, but info of civil penalties for violations. Honestly, I'm kinda freaking out.
 
Nightman1961 said:
So, I'm pretty new to line/Suda operations. A few days ago after an 11 hr shift, also 10 minutes before clock out time, Tsa performed a bait operation. A woman walked past me, then came back and said I didn't challenge her for not having a badge. She took my badge number. Haven't heard anything yet, but was wondering if anyone else has lived thru this, and how bad could it be. Google search showed many airports policy being a 1st offense 1 day suspension of badge, a small fine and retake Sida training. Nothing on tsa, but info of civil penalties for violations. Honestly, I'm kinda freaking out.
They can do that, it was also explained in the SIDA class. Know a guy from TUL who boarded a flight, non-rev, and was taken out of service for two weeks and TSA made this individule go through TSA screening as a passenger for a year.
 
I can't imagine a first offense would be too onerous, but as Bob pointed out, it is drummed into everyone's head from Day 1...you challenge anyone in the SIDA areas that is not displaying the proper badges.  It isn't a bait operation, it's a fairly regular security check.
 
I tend to agree that a first time offense might not be too severe, but you also never know-and that's by design...

I absolutely agree with Jim's second point about challenging everyone-including people you know. The days of facial recognition counting as a challenge are long gone...
 
It's my first experience with this kind of "sting" operations, and being a woman, it's hard to go against all our company training to avoid potential harassment situation by basically ignoring women and not making them uncomfortable by staring at them too long. And it hasn't really been "drummed" in my head, that was my problem. I've been so self conscious about making sure I comply, I've not been as diligent to make sure everyone around me does as well. It's like performing a maintenance action for the first time, you read the manual, maybe watch a video, but till you put your hands on it, or come face to face with it, it doesn't imprint on your conscious. With enough time and experience it becomes a subconscious reaction. It just hasn't yet for me. And unfortunately, I seem to have the luck of the Irish. When others get slaps on the wrist, I get a shovel to the head. I hope I'm worried about nothing, but till the issue is resolved, I can't help but worry.
 
bob@las-AA said:
Know a guy from TUL who boarded a flight, non-rev, and was taken out of service for two weeks and TSA made this individule go through TSA screening as a passenger for a year.
Was it said that this was a non-rev? and aren't non-revs required to go thru TSA screening anyway?
 
Nightman1961 said:
It's my first experience with this kind of "sting" operations, and being a woman, it's hard to go against all our company training to avoid potential harassment situation by basically ignoring women and not making them uncomfortable by staring at them too long. And it hasn't really been "drummed" in my head, that was my problem. I've been so self conscious about making sure I comply, I've not been as diligent to make sure everyone around me does as well. It's like performing a maintenance action for the first time, you read the manual, maybe watch a video, but till you put your hands on it, or come face to face with it, it doesn't imprint on your conscious. With enough time and experience it becomes a subconscious reaction. It just hasn't yet for me. And unfortunately, I seem to have the luck of the Irish. When others get slaps on the wrist, I get a shovel to the head. I hope I'm worried about nothing, but till the issue is resolved, I can't help but worry.
W/o getting into specifics, there are a lot of reasons why you needn't worry about having to stare too long at anyone before challenging them.
 
I don't think it is any secret that the TSA requires all passengers - non-rev or not - to go thru security. There have been well-publicized violations of those rules that have ended badly.
 

Latest posts