TW L1011''s

I think it was in 2000 right after the 747''s I was working a flight at the next gate when the last one left. Our crew ran over and toured the old girl for the last time and had our pictures made sitting in the engine. I remember being 23 and working one to Lisbon for the first time. Great memories of a classier time.

No, it had to be earlier than that (2000). I started at T-Dub in July 98 and never did dispatch one. Must''ve been before that.

The retirement of TWA’s L1011s came on September 3, 1997. The final flight was TW840 from LAX to JFK. After landing on Runway 31R at 1604, aircraft N11006 received a water cannon salute from Port Authority fire-fighting vehicles as it turned off taxiway Bravo onto taxiway Delta Alpha. The aircraft parked at Terminal 5 and TWA’s Lockheed era came to an end.

tristar_63.jpg

[url="http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/austin/74/tristar_63.jpg"]http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/aus.../tristar_63.jpg[/URL]

It was a great aircraft. I liked it better than the 747. Roomy cockpit, roomy cabin, galley downstairs, great airconditioning, best autopilot designed so far. A little short on range but OK from LHR, CDG, etc., to JFK, Bos. Mach .85 cruise, faster standard cruise than anything other than the Concorde I think. A little tight at LGA for an aircraft that size.

My hats of to the old girl as well...many fond memories at ATA before I came to AA..We would lease some of TW L1011 via 5 Star over some of the summer..and we would lease some from EA..and held 5 from DL at ATA..So I had the oppertunity to see many configurations..ect..I have to say the TW ones were the best...
I have not to this day worked a better A/C from a f/a stand point..at least mine..it is/was the best plane in the air..(loved the LL galley....windows and all!!)

----------------
On 6/24/2003 12:43:35 AM MCI transplant wrote:

Has anyone heard of the "haunted" Eastern l-1011????
11.gif

----------------​

Yep, supposedly, any a/c that has a part/parts on it that came from that one that crashed in the swamp is haunted by the F/O that was killed. According to the movie, he (played by Ernest Borgnine I think) wouldn't let another crash.

How funny...At ATA it was rumored that ship #EA304/or/344 I dont remember..-an L1011 was "the huanted airplane"..and it was one of the three we would lease from them..I had never worked it but one summer ATA had a wet lease with Air Algerie-Paris/Algeres turns on it and crews swor the thing had a mind of its own...( I heard stories of a vision of a head of a woman would appear inside the ovens at times...)
I do remember looking around the cabin-the surfaces/bulkheads/seats were dark dark brown-and filthy..on the cabin dividers-fwd facing there were these evil looking "sunshine heads"..montage/mural thing...I could just imagine it start laughing in flight bringing terror and horror to all at 30,000 ft!!

----------------
On 6/24/2003 1:13:31 AM rampguy wrote:

----------------
On 6/24/2003 12:43:35 AM MCI transplant wrote:

Has anyone heard of the "haunted" Eastern l-1011????

----------------​

Yep, supposedly, any a/c that has a part/parts on it that came from that one that crashed in the swamp is haunted by the F/O that was killed. According to the movie, he (played by Ernest Borgnine I think) wouldn''t let another crash.

----------------​

The Ghost of Flight 401.
Movie and a book was released about this true story. It was a big hush hush at Eastern if any one talked about it.

----------------
On 6/24/2003 3:42:03 AM AC AA LA FA wrote:

How funny...At ATA it was rumored that ship #EA304/or/344 I dont remember..-an L1011 was "the huanted airplane"..and it was one of the three we would lease from them..I had never worked it but one summer ATA had a wet lease with Air Algerie-Paris/Algeres turns on it and crews swor the thing had a mind of its own...( I heard stories of a vision of a head of a woman would appear inside the ovens at times...)
----------------​

At least it wasn''t the head of Ernest Borgnine...

We would sometimes race in the lifts, until we heard the story of the F/A who got her smock caught in the lift and was crushed to death. I definatly got some weird vibes every now and then in the lower galley. It was always fun to scare people down there, actually had a flight attendant hide in one of the cabinets and jump out.

TWA''s L-1011''s were familiar sights over my house in Florida in the winter when they would fly to Palm Beach, they flew the Atlantic in the summer. I only flew once on them from LGA-PBI, I was a fan of( and had many trips to Europe on)TWA''s 747''s. During the 1980''s these magnificent birds were the way to travel the Pond. L-1011 flew from JFK, BOS & IAD to CDG and many other TWA cross pond destinations. She was a glorious bird, long may her memories live.