TWU local 501 sells out membership,gives away AA jobs

ExBusDriver

Nov 19, 2002
nevermind the fact that AA employees have driven the bus at jfk for DECADES[BR][BR][BR][STRIKE][/STRIKE][FONT size=4]TWU,stop giving away AA work!!!!!!!!!!![/FONT]

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 11/19/2002 3:47:52 PM ExBusDriver wrote:[BR][FONT size=+0]
[P class=MsoNormal 0.5in"][SPAN normal"]We later learned that out of the 6 open positions that had been left due to the RIF, only 4 Fleet Service clerks had put in for the positions telling us that the interest to keep the job was not there.[BR][?xml:namespace prefix = o /][o:p][/o:p][/SPAN]-------------------[BR][BR][BR]did it enter your miniscule minds that MAYBE some people know what being a union member means?[BR]like not scabbing someone elses job?[BR][BR][BR]
[P class=MsoNormal 0.5in"]
[P class=MsoNormal][SPAN normal"][o:p][/o:p][/SPAN][/FONT][/P]----------------
[P][/P][/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][/P]

No you know how AA Aircraft Mechanics have been feeling since 1983. Aircraft maintenance used to de-ice aircraft and push aircraft. Cabin Service and Line Cargo gladly stepped into those jobs and aircraft mechanics lost jobs over the long term. But you said HEY, AT LEAST THE JOBS ARE NOT BEING CONTRACTED OUT. Welcome to the club, folks! American will be looking to contract out more aircraft maintenance work. But keep in mind cabin Service and Line Cargo might be on the chopping block in more ways than you might imagine.

[BR][BR][BR][BR][FONT size=3]Maybe i can get a job with the new company that will be doing my job.and people wonder why airraft maintenance wants this alleged union off the property[/FONT][BR][BR][BR][FONT color=#264b99 size=5]Presidents Message[BR xmlns=][/FONT]
[P align=center][FONT size=+0][SPAN style=mso-tab-count: 2] [/SPAN][SPAN style=mso-tab-count: 2] [/SPAN][SPAN style=mso-tab-count: 2] [/SPAN][SPAN style=mso-tab-count: 1] [/SPAN][SPAN style=mso-tab-count: 1] [/SPAN][SPAN style=FONT-STYLE: normal]November 18, 2002[?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice /][o:p][/o:p][/SPAN][/P]
[P class=MsoNormal][SPAN style=FONT-STYLE: normal] [/SPAN][SPAN style=FONT-STYLE: normal]Dear Brothers and Sisters:[o:p][/o:p][/SPAN][/P]
[P class=MsoNormal][SPAN style=FONT-STYLE: normal] [/SPAN][SPAN style=mso-tab-count: 1] [/SPAN]On November 11, 2002, we signed off on a[I style=mso-bidi-font-style: normal]n[/I] agreement that will bring 31 full time Fleet [I style=mso-bidi-font-style: normal]S[/I]ervice jobs[I style=mso-bidi-font-style: normal].[SPAN style=mso-spacerun: yes] [/SPAN][/I]Three of those Crew Chiefs to JFK and 30 full time Fleet Service jobs to LGA.[I style=mso-bidi-font-style: normal][o:p][/o:p][/I][/P]
[P class=MsoNormal][SPAN style=FONT-STYLE: normal][SPAN style=mso-spacerun: yes] [/SPAN][SPAN style=mso-tab-count: 1] [/SPAN]In these difficult times when the system is reducing their head count, we are going up.[SPAN style=mso-spacerun: yes] [/SPAN]Since 1995, Title II, the former Building Cleaners, have been crossed utilized into Fleet Service without even receiving there cross utilization premiums. Their functions consisted of cleaning airplanes at JFK and LGA.[SPAN style=mso-spacerun: yes] [/SPAN]After 9/11 the company’s position, financially, became very grave and we entered into a RIF (reduction in force).[SPAN style=mso-spacerun: yes] [/SPAN]An arbitrators decision from 1996 specifically stated that no Title group would be cross utilized into any other Title group that had an active re-call list.[SPAN style=mso-spacerun: yes] [/SPAN]After 9/11 we did in the Fleet Service group.[SPAN style=mso-spacerun: yes] [/SPAN][o:p][/o:p][/SPAN][/P]
[P class=MsoNormal style=TEXT-INDENT: 0.5in][SPAN style=FONT-STYLE: normal]As members of Fleet Service hit the street or were displaced to other stations, Title II continues to perform Fleet Service work.[SPAN style=mso-spacerun: yes] [/SPAN][o:p][/o:p][/SPAN][/P]
[P class=MsoNormal style=TEXT-INDENT: 0.5in][SPAN style=FONT-STYLE: normal]In November 2002, we again entered into a RIF and were placed in the same situation as the prior year.[SPAN style=mso-spacerun: yes] [/SPAN]Our position was that we could not let the company violate our contract again.[SPAN style=mso-spacerun: yes] [/SPAN]We took the position that Title II members must be given positions in their classification with their job scope.[SPAN style=mso-spacerun: yes] [/SPAN]After some very tough negotiations, the company agreed.[SPAN style=mso-spacerun: yes] [/SPAN]This is what led to our agreement.[SPAN style=mso-spacerun: yes] [/SPAN]The Title II members: 8 of them, which are station protected, would be given their position in their title group, mainly cleaning sections of our JFK terminal getting back some of the work we lost in 1995 when Building Cleaning was out-sourced.[SPAN style=mso-spacerun: yes] [/SPAN]The other Title II members would be given RIF option sheets to exercise their contractual rights to displace another Title II member or fill a vacancy in their classification just as the Title III Fleet Service group does when there is a reduction in force.[SPAN style=mso-spacerun: yes] [/SPAN][o:p][/o:p][/SPAN][/P]
[P class=MsoNormal style=TEXT-INDENT: 0.5in][SPAN style=FONT-STYLE: normal]In the agreement, we negotiated to in-source secondary deicing that we never had and that was performed by a nonunion contractor.[SPAN style=mso-spacerun: yes] [/SPAN]In Addition, the Automotive Department at JFK will not lose any full time heads because of this agreement.[o:p][/o:p][/SPAN][/P]
[P class=MsoNormal style=TEXT-INDENT: 0.5in][SPAN style=FONT-STYLE: normal]The only set back to the agreement was that we would have to give up the bus driver job at JFK.[SPAN style=mso-spacerun: yes] [/SPAN]Our position, at first, was firm that we would not want to give up the bus driver positions at JFK.[SPAN style=mso-spacerun: yes] [/SPAN]We later learned that out of the 6 open positions that had been left due to the RIF, only 4 Fleet Service clerks had put in for the positions telling us that the interest to keep the job was not there.[o:p][/o:p][/SPAN][/P]
[P class=MsoNormal style=TEXT-INDENT: 0.5in][SPAN style=FONT-STYLE: normal]Furthermore, with the light rail starting in the next several months, our bus drivers would only drive from Avis where there is a light rail stop and our hanger, probably causing the company to slash our driving fleet by half.[SPAN style=mso-spacerun: yes] [/SPAN]This decision we took was not easy.[SPAN style=mso-spacerun: yes] [/SPAN]We feel it was the right one that benefited the best interest of our union.[SPAN style=mso-spacerun: yes] [/SPAN][o:p][/o:p][/SPAN][/P]
[P class=MsoNormal style=TEXT-INDENT: 0.5in][SPAN style=FONT-STYLE: normal]If any members have questions regarding this agreement, please feel free to call the union hall at 718-961-9871 or attend our next union meeting on November 26[sup]th[/sup], 2002.[o:p][/o:p][/SPAN][/P]
[P class=MsoNormal][SPAN style=FONT-STYLE: normal] [/SPAN][SPAN style=FONT-STYLE: normal] [/SPAN][SPAN style=FONT-STYLE: normal][SPAN style=mso-tab-count: 2] [/SPAN][SPAN style=mso-tab-count: 2] [/SPAN][SPAN style=mso-tab-count: 2] [/SPAN][SPAN style=mso-tab-count: 1] [/SPAN][SPAN style=mso-tab-count: 1] [/SPAN]Fraternally Yours,[o:p][/o:p][/SPAN][/P]
[P class=MsoNormal][SPAN style=FONT-STYLE: normal][o:p][/o:p][/SPAN][/P]
[P class=MsoNormal][SPAN style=FONT-STYLE: normal][SPAN style=mso-tab-count: 2] [/SPAN][SPAN style=mso-tab-count: 2] [/SPAN][SPAN style=mso-tab-count: 2] [/SPAN][SPAN style=mso-tab-count: 1] [/SPAN][SPAN style=mso-tab-count: 1] [/SPAN]Michael Chiofalo[o:p][/o:p][/SPAN][/P]
[P class=MsoNormal][SPAN style=FONT-STYLE: normal][SPAN style=mso-tab-count: 2] [/SPAN][SPAN style=mso-tab-count: 2] [/SPAN][SPAN style=mso-tab-count: 2] [/SPAN][SPAN style=mso-tab-count: 1] [/SPAN][SPAN style=mso-tab-count: 1] [/SPAN]President[o:p][/o:p][/SPAN][/P]
[P class=MsoNormal][SPAN style=FONT-STYLE: normal] [o:p][/o:p][/SPAN][/P]
[P class=MsoNormal][SPAN style=FONT-STYLE: normal]MC/kl[o:p][/o:p][/SPAN][/P]
[P class=MsoNormal][SPAN style=FONT-STYLE: normal]Opeiu-153-afl-cio[BR][o:p][BR][BR]We sold out the bus and title 2 for more ot for the deicing club.[BR][BR]how does secondary deicing help the membership as a whole?not just the deicing club.i cant see any benefit to the membership in july[BR][BR]how do they figure they added 31 ft jobs at lga?didnt 50 people from jfk just get sent there against their will?are they taking credit for the compnay honoring the one station agreement/[BR][BR]you talk about title 2 being cross utilized since 1995,but i dont see you talking about fighting for their retro pay why not?[BR][BR]you arent doing that, you get 8 people back to building cleaning and the rest can either go to tulsa or go away alltogher/[BR]this slate ran as operation unite,i am having a hard time finding nay unity here [BR][BR]you claim no interest in the bus...did you think of asking any of the twa guys that used to drive the bus>? [BR][BR]come tell woody you gave his job away,come tell lionel,come tell artie..but you wont will you>[BR][BR]i guess the air train is now how the employees are going to get from the hangar to the terminal? most of us arent lucky enough to have our friends come down form the line and pick us up[BR][BR]did you think of the ripple effect in ord where clerks still drive the bus? how long before the company comes to them and says jfk gave it up, you have to also?[BR][BR][BR]this union is such a waste, i''ll bet the IAM or the teamsters wouldnt have gotten cozy with management and given away AA work so easily and quickly.[BR][BR][BR][/o:p][/SPAN][/P][/FONT]

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 11/19/2002 4:02:22 PM ExBusDriver wrote:
[P][BR][BR]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 11/19/2002 3:47:52 PM ExBusDriver wrote:[BR][FONT size=+0][BR]
[P class=MsoNormal 0.5in"][SPAN normal"]We later learned that out of the 6 open positions that had been left due to the RIF, only 4 Fleet Service clerks had put in for the positions telling us that the interest to keep the job was not there.[BR][?xml:namespace prefix = o /][o:p][/o:p][/SPAN]-------------------[BR][BR][BR]did it enter your miniscule minds that MAYBE some people know what being a union member means?[BR]like not scabbing someone elses job?[BR][BR][BR][BR]
[P class=MsoNormal 0.5in"][BR]
[P class=MsoNormal][SPAN normal"][o:p][/o:p][/SPAN][/FONT]----------------[BR][BR][/P][/BLOCKQUOTE][BR][BR]
[P][/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][/P] [FONT size=1]You'll be hard pressed to find the kind of solidarity you seek from[BR] the membership.Sure people will shake their heads and say it's such[BR] a shame, but they will get on whatever bus pulls up, regardless of who is[BR] driving.[BR][BR] [/FONT]

AA put almost 20,000 people out on the street, and you actually want to complain about WHO DRIVES THE $%&#@@ BUS????

TWU is protecting work that actually involves handling aircraft, baggage and cargo.

Driving a bus and wiping down urinals is not skilled airline work.

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 11/20/2002 10:55:00 AM Get Over It Already wrote:
[P][BR][BR]TWU is protecting work[BR][BR][/P]----------------[BR][/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P] [FONT face=Arial Narrow size=3]ya dont get it do ya?[BR][BR] contracting out work formerly performed by AA employees is not protecting work now is it?selling out members from a different title ti get deicing OT for a few is a crock of ****[BR]funny how nobody gives a **** when its someone elses job right ?[BR]hey cabin service could go you think AA wouldnt love to get servicemaster in there? air freight could go to but i doubt it, the 'president' is from air freight

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/20/2002 10:55:00 AM Get Over It Already wrote:

AA put almost 20,000 people out on the street, and you actually want to complain about WHO DRIVES THE $%&#@@ BUS????

TWU is protecting work that actually involves handling aircraft, baggage and cargo.

Driving a bus and wiping down urinals is not skilled airline work.
----------------
[/blockquote]

TWU is NOT protecting anything! There are No penalties in the labor agreement for outsourcing work. TWU is allowing appx. 45% of our skilled work to be outsourced.