Twu Spokesperson Jerry Sowell Crosses Picket Line

OK, now take the WN AVERAGE pay per mechanic against AA's AVERAGE pay per mechanic, and you will surely find that AA is getting a damn good deal on that large number of mechanics. Problem is, all those large number of employees are disgruntled due to the massive pay and benefit cuts, so the sweet deal has gone sour.

Remember, the TWU agenda was to save jobs, and pay and benefits were drastically sacrificed and cut to keep that LARGE number of Maintenance employees per aircraft.

Cut that total number down, give back some pay and benefits, and you will gain the productivity rule changes to make things better. But to leave the union deal in place that cut pay and benefits to the bone, causing massive Airline Induced Divorce Sydrome, and then on top of that cut heads and gain work rules, is a recipe for further disaster.

Just get a damn business plan together, make the tough decisions, and take action. But to have the cake, ice cream, and the cherry is NOT the answer you are looking for.

Of course you will have to go directly to the membership and somehow by-pass the leadership agenda of jobs, jobs, jobs, what you really need is work, work, work, and that is obtainable with the right formula.

I remember hearing about the late 70's where head count was cut to below operational requirements, and those that were left worked overtime. This reduced the medical, dental, vision, and prescription liabilty and productivity reached all time highs. Something to think about!

Some how many amts would SWA have to have if they did all their own heavy maintenance? How many are indirectly working for SWA at MROs right now and what is their payscale?

Some how many amts would SWA have to have if they did all their own heavy maintenance? How many are indirectly working for SWA at MROs right now and what is their payscale?
How many AMT's would SWA have if they had an AA type fleet and not just 737's? How many AMT's would AA have with just 737 fleet type?

If we are talking strictly AMT's and doing the same work as AMT's(no OSM shops) at AA, I would imagine about a 50% increase to around 3,000. Maybe you find out the numbers of how many AMT's are on the AA 737 docks and AMT only shop support for 737's only? If we had that info and compared checks with SWA, we could come up with a number. I do know that productivity wise, they are much more efficient than our overhaul but then again, their management team is much more human then ours.

I don't know j7915, why don't you answer those two questions, and then return to the warm spot under managements desk!

Back