U Has Record Lf For Jan

bluetoad said:
As U restructures to a LCC it will have to expect that its RASM is going to fall.
[post="245290"][/post]​

Totally disagree. RASM is just a reflection of the fare mix you attract.

There's no reason that RASM should fall just because your costs are now different.

NEW YORK (AP) -- Low-fare airline JetBlue Airways Corp. on Friday said that its January traffic increased 32.6 percent as capacity increased by 23.8 percent.
The company said traffic for the month rose to 1.43 billion revenue passenger miles from 1.08 billion.
JetBlue said capacity grew to 1.71 billion available seat miles from 1.38 billion. Load factor rose 5.6 points to 83.7 percent.

Shares of JetBlue rose 22 cents to $20.41 in morning trading on the Nasdaq.

(Since Jim's out moving people around...)

American
RPMs up 8.1% on 1.7% more ASMs, LF up 6.4% (4.4 points) to 73.3%

America West
RPMs up 8.6% on 0.8% fewer ASMs, LF up 9.6% (6.5 points) to 74.4%

AirTran
RPMs up 28.1% on 23.0% more ASMs, LF up 4.2% (2.6 points) to 65.1%

Continental
RPMs up 10.1% on 3.2% more ASMs, LF up 6.6% (4.7 points) to 76.1%
Estimated RASM up 3.5 - 4.5%

JetBlue
RPMs up 32.6% on 23.8% more ASMs, LF up 7.2% (5.6 points) to 83.7%

Southwest
RPMs up 15.9% on 10.9% more ASMs, LF up 4.6% (2.6 points) to 58.8%

US Airways
RPMs up 3.9% on 2% fewer ASMs, LF up 6.1% (3.9 points) to 68.3%
Estimated RASM down 6 - 7%

[QUOTETotally disagree. RASM is just a reflection of the fare mix you attract.

There's no reason that RASM should fall just because your costs are now different.
Which domestic markets is U going to be able to command a fare premium? PHL, BOS, LGA, DCA, CLT. Everywhere they compete with anyone else, U is forced to lower their fares. If all things were equal people might choose U over an LCC but given that price is not equal, I dont see U attracting many flyers when presented with paying a premium.

Winglet said:
Still losing money and lots of it. Fuel is going to stay high and furniture to burn is going to run out eventually. Wait until GE sees that there's nothing more to be extracted from U, and they pull the plug and call in the collateral.
[post="245193"][/post]​

"Little wing" you're a broken record looking for someone to share your misery. There are good things starting to happen here at U, thankfully you're not going to be a part of them.

If you look at the numbers for every other airline UAIR was by far the worst. The RASM number is terrible. The load factor increase obviously came from giving away seats. With Simplifares now throughout the industry, there simply is no way these numbers can be spun as anything but lousy.

It all goes back to the fares. Was looking at noshows this morning and noticed someone going to MHT. They had booked a roundtrip for $138 and didnt show up for the return. We all know they probably just wanted a one way and booked the back end to throw away. This was also an instant purchase ticket so it wasnt like they had to buy it in advance to get this rate. The one way walkup was over $600. Now, wouldnt it make more sense to just offer decent one way fares and eliminate the need for people to play games to get a decent fare? No overnight stay required and more $ for us. Not only would we increase the $, but could offer the return seat (noshow) for sale to someone else. Today the flights werent full so it didnt matter, but that extra seat could have been sold if someone uses this method during peak times. Sometimes I just have to shake my head and wonder how much the schooling has done for those who set the fares. I guess I just dont see the big picture as usual. :down:

Thanks, Michael. We can add...

Northwest
RPM's up 11.0% on 5.7% more ASM's, LF up 3.7 points to 76.8%

United
RPM's up 4.8% on 0.7% less ASM's, LF up 4.0 points to 76.1%