Ua To Start Flying To Vietnam

fliboi78

Oct 29, 2003
I've just read that United is to start service to Vietnam. I thought AA was looking into that route.

U.S. National - AFP

United to become first US airline to fly to Vietnam in nearly 30 years

Tue Apr 27,10:13 AM ET Add U.S. National - AFP to My Yahoo!

CHICAGO (AFP) - United Airlines announced plans to fly to Vietnam, making it the first US airline to provide a gateway to the communist country in nearly 30 years.

Following a decision by the Vietnamese government to permit air travel between the United States and Ho Chi Minh City through Hong Kong, the airline said Monday it plans to start daily service from San Francisco as soon as US and Vietnamese regulators lay the necessary groundwork for the flights.

"We are very excited by the opportunity to be the first US carrier to operate passenger flights to Vietnam in nearly 30 years," Graham Atkinson, United's senior vice president of worldwide sales and alliances, said in a statement.

"This newly planned service to Vietnam is an important addition to our global route network," he said. "Vietnam's highly charged economy and a growing demand for air service to the US makes Ho Chi Minh City an appropriate market for United's service."

A landmark US-Vietnam aviation agreement reached in January paved the way for direct flights between the two countries for the first time since the Vietnam War ended in 1975.

The five-year pact allows only two US passenger airlines to fly to Vietnam in the first two years.

Some 280,000 passengers traveled between the United States and Vietnam in 2002, according to Vietnam Airlines.

please don't tell me that AA is getting snubbed again!!!!!!!!

Given that UA inherited the Pan AM legacy in ASia as well as the routes & Pan Am was the last to serve Vietnam, UA should be the first to Return. AA doesn't have the beyond rights from NRT or HKG like UA has. AA to Vietnam seems a long way off. MY vote is for AA to ICN, HKG, PVG, SIN, KIX, NGO, BKK, & TPE before AA thinks of going to Virtnam. Vietnam sounds glamourous but how many people go there in Business Class compared to the other destinations.

thanks kev for the link but i was wondering about the AA side of things, not UAL. i just remembered a few weeks ago that AA was very interested in this route/country.

Back