UA to suspend ramp and csa outsourcing till 2017

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
"United Continental Holdings Inc., which has outsourced jobs at 39 U.S. airports since 2013 to vendors who perform the duties at lower cost, said Friday that it will halt that practice until at least the end of 2016.

An additional 16 airports that could have been targeted for job cuts are protected for now, United said. In addition, the company’s labor contract with check-in, baggage-handling and customer service workers represented by the International Association of Machinists currently exempts 23 busier airports and seven domestic hubs from job cuts."

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/uni...d-of-2016-2015-10-30?siteid=yhoof2

Kev3188 said:
Probably just buying time until UGE hits it's stride.

Hopefully, I'm dead wrong...
You are probably right

but the IAM and its awesome scope will sto.......oh wait. 

Kev3188 said:
Probably just buying time until UGE hits it's stride.

Hopefully, I'm dead wrong...
This was announced since Oscar took ill, and before he got sick, he went unaccompanied hearing it from the front line. Morale is piss poor and it shows on every metric. (recently it has been getting better though)  Oscar probably saw my hub and how deep it was cut, it'll cause anyone to get a heart attack. It was bad. Now we will be getting the proper staffing. Bottom line is that it depends on how many stations that they can staff UGS with, and how quick they can get it up and running.
They will start with the DGS/Envoy stations first. End or expire those contracts. Then try to staff them. The lure of flight benefits will attract some.  Tier 3 and some Tier 2 will be converted.
This should keep them busy for a while. By that time, our contract talks should be in progress, and we can see what the landscape looks like.  I can also see them possibly taking over the Express work in DEN and IAD. Maybe SFO if they don't keep SkyWest. (Don't know if the District will fight for those two, since the vendors in IAD and DEN have been crappy). 

Like I keep saying is that the first goal is to keep the existing 29 cities (22+7+ Express in 3). There should be no compromises on that. The only other thing that is the problem is the people that took the cuts. They must be restored with full pay & benefits, and those 5 or 6 (not sure of the exact total) cities have to be put under scope. This should be accomplished, IMHO. There is no more to give, since they decimated us in three rounds.

And no more outsourcing till at least 2019.

What was dawg saying?

700UW said:
And no more outsourcing till at least 2019.

What was dawg saying?
IAM logic, we can fire you, we probably will fire you, but we will wait a few years before we do. #winning 

:rolleyes: but of course over the industry the IAM is an outsourcing leader so you are okay with it 700. 

Reactions: 1 person
topDawg said:
IAM logic, we can fire you, we probably will fire you, but we will wait a few years before we do. #winning 

:rolleyes: but of course over the industry the IAM is an outsourcing leader so you are okay with it 700. 
It sounds to me that the new CEO is trying to change the corporate culture. So now when AA,UA and SW get their contracts the only one who will have to worry about outsourcing is DL

Albert said:
It sounds to me that the new CEO is trying to change the corporate culture. So now when AA,UA and SW get their contracts the only one who will have to worry about outsourcing is DL
You mean after AA does all the outsourcing to get on the US level? 

Reactions: 1 person
topDawg said:

PMUS ramp is the best scope language in the industry.

US has 37 fleet stations and AA has 14.

So don't be like WT.

Albert said:
The better you guys make out, the better we make out, and vice versa.That's how this industry works.

Klemm just had a nice opportunity to turn the tide dropped his lap. Will he capitalize on it, or just F things up again?

Reactions: 3 people
topDawg said:
 you are probably right but at least it will  be up to the union members to vote on

700UW said:

PMUS ramp is the best scope language in the industry.

US has 37 fleet stations and AA has 14.

So don't be like WT.
1) you don't have a combined TA. You have no idea what the scope will be. Could very well pull a UA IAM that lets the company basically do anything they want. 

2) thats one contract. Your Mechanic contract is a joke compared to the rest of the industry and the IAM also did a fantastic job of gutting United's scope before getting voted out. Indy and Oakland both shut down thanks to the IAM. 

Wont happen, as you know and conveniently forget the PMUS Fleet CBA was negotiated and agreed upon AFTER UA already ratified their deal.

And it took a CBA being abrogated for PMUS to gain the ability to outsource work.

You do realize that 35% of the total maintenance budget is more than 50% of billable heavy hours?

PMUS has no line farmout unlike AA, and PMUS has protected stations.

700UW said:
Wont happen, as you know and conveniently forget the PMUS Fleet CBA was negotiated and agreed upon AFTER UA already ratified their deal.
and? 

700UW said:
And it took a CBA being abrogated for PMUS to gain the ability to outsource work.

You do realize that 35% of the total maintenance budget is more than 50% of billable heavy hours?

PMUS has no line farmout unlike AA, and PMUS has protected stations.
ugh 

again you are WTing. You focus on one thing not everything. 

Components, Mods, Engines etc. all matter just as much as airframe work. So US might have to do more airframe checks in-house but can send out 100% of its components, landing gear, APUs and engines.