UAL to cut planes

Looks like UAL is the first one to start parking. The other carriers are not far behind. Let the games begin.

Looks like UAL is the first one to start parking. The other carriers are not far behind. Let the games begin.

UAL and Delta and whomever will use this to shrink the airline again, since they didn't get it right in BK. More pay cuts..
more cuts to sum the big merger so that our Govt will allow it. Wait and see what happens next....

next the european alliances will be owning us.

UAL and Delta and whomever will use this to shrink the airline again, since they didn't get it right in BK. More pay cuts..
more cuts to sum the big merger so that our Govt will allow it. Wait and see what happens next....

next the european alliances will be owning us.
I have no doubt that you are correct.

Anyone know UA's current fleet count by aircraft type, also curious how many 737 they have now prior to parking 15-20 more 737's.

I read the overall fllet is 460, but curious about the break down.

Anyone know UA's current fleet count by aircraft type, also curious how many 737 they have now prior to parking 15-20 more 737's.

I read the overall fllet is 460, but curious about the break down.

Ballpark numbers off the top of my head:

747 30
777 52
767 37
757 97
320 153
737 98

DC

Surprise... They don't want to see furloughs which is where this is inevitably heading
Not exactly. Just look at Steve Wallach's quote: "We will not be waiving the sections of our contract that guarantee minimum block hours for our pilots that this move may require."

Not exactly. Just look at Steve Wallach's quote: "We will not be waiving the sections of our contract that guarantee minimum block hours for our pilots that this move may require."
But if there are no furloughs, wouldn't this help solve the understaffing problem that the pilots were complaining about a few months ago? And before anyone says "but there will be furloughs," none of us know just yet whether that will be the case or not. Perhaps Wallach should be spending more time talking to United's management about why increased staffing (per plane, after grounding 15-20 of what I believe are United's least economical aircraft from a CASM standpoint) would be beneficial to the carrier's operational reliability and less time putting out confrontational press releases. Does Wallach really think that United should just ignore the impact of $110 per barrel oil, the dollar in freefall, a potential meltdown of the financial services industry, and a likely recessionary economy as it plans its future flying? And it's not as if United is the only carrier that is planning to reduce its domestic flying.

And incidentally, if these B737-500s are indeed United's least efficient aircraft, to the extent that it is cheaper to park them rather than fly them in the current economic conditions, wouldn't grounding some of them also start to address Wallach's concern about United's non-labor CASM?

While trumpeted as a cost savings move, this is more about rationalizing capacity in order to charge profitable fares at $110 oil in a softening economy. And every airline that can park planes cheaply is going to do the exact same thing.

Latest posts