Unions And Management "work Together"

Nightwatch said:
<------------------------ Stewart Towels

By your verbage the members are "taught" by the leadership. That is so AMFA. In the TWU we vote on items the way we want, not the way Delle states to vote. If it is concessions and jobs we care about it is OUR caring...not something Delle told us to do..but good point Buck...now I see why you're not a leader, but a follower.
Nightwatch,

Take that box of Kleenex and hold onto them. Your going to need them soon when MCI gets shutdown.

<------------------Stewart Towels

Yo dummie dave, if MCI were to shut down I still wouldn't require a Stewart Towel...some of us haven't been living outside our means...you however, have the option of selling your trailer if you get in a pinch...HAHAHA!

Nightwatch said:
<------------------Stewart Towels

Yo dummie dave, if MCI were to shut down I still wouldn't require a Stewart Towel...some of us haven't been living outside our means...you however, have the option of selling your trailer if you get in a pinch...HAHAHA!
Man, you really got me on that one.

I don't know how to respond.

Other than to request, please spare me from further annihilation as the victim of your verbal wit.

<-------------Stewart Wipes

Nah....you're to easy and you do supply plenty of ammo. You'll make a great VP...HAHAHA!...did Delle tell ya that dummie?

Nightwatch said:
<------------------------ Stewart Towels

By your verbage the members are "taught" by the leadership. That is so AMFA. In the TWU we vote on items the way we want, not the way Delle states to vote. If it is concessions and jobs we care about it is OUR caring...not something Delle told us to do..but good point Buck...now I see why you're not a leader, but a follower.
The only thing the members are taught is how to grant concessions during negotiations.

You at TWA, must know something of this. TWA was the airline that failed. After so many years as a successful carrier, you also conceded issue after issue until the carrier went under. What was your pay level when AA rescued TWA? What benefits did you have left? I understand you had a very nice retirement? :eek:

No in the TWU you only vote at the local level for things you want. If the International deems it necessary, you will take whatever they say. That is why every contract has been concessionary for the last twenty years.

You complain about AMFA and AMFA is not here yet. You should look to your own International Leadership and determine what there goals are. I can tell you the main one, dues collection.

Are you a delegate going to the next Constitutional Convention?

I will be waiting to see how you are going to fix the problems within the TWU.

Some Doubt American Airlines' Strength
By DAVID KOENIG
The Associated Press

FORT WORTH, Texas - After staving off bankruptcy a year ago, American Airlines slashed costs below many of its competitors and its executives talked brightly about returning the largest U.S. carrier to its former glory.

Analysts praised American, which eked out a tiny profit from April to June - only its second winning quarter in three years of crushing losses. Investors bid the stock price up for a time.

Now, however, fresh doubts emerge about American's ability to regain its strength against the tide of high fuel prices, which have wiped out hope that the carrier might earn a profit this year, and an onslaught of competitors pushing low fares even lower.

More ominously, there is scant evidence that American, a unit of Fort Worth-based AMR Corp., has figured out how to win customers away from other carriers and boost revenue. American now faces competition from low-cost rivals on nearly 90 percent of its routes, frustrating the company's plans to raise fares.

And, some employees are growing restless a year after taking huge pay cuts that helped save the airline.

Flight attendants pepper Internet chat rooms with complaints about being overworked because thousands of colleagues have been laid off. Attendants on long international flights said they were denied meal and rest breaks because crews were understaffed. They filed a complaint through the union, and an arbitrator ruled in their favor - awarding back pay of $9 million to $14 million, which the airline must pay in October.

Phillip Baggaley, an analyst with Standard & Poor's, says the pace of American's recovery "is disappointing and may be stalling out."

Just a year ago, American was at the breaking point after more than $6 billion in losses caused by the recession, the terror attacks of September 2001, tougher competition from low-cost carriers, and fundamental changes in the way that people buy airline tickets.

The company was on the brink of filing for bankruptcy protection until union employees barely approved a package of painful concessions, including layoffs and double-digit pay cuts that saved American $1.8 billion a year.

With those cuts, the company reduced spending on wages, salaries and benefits by 16 percent through the first six months of 2004.

In early 2003, American had the second highest cost structure in the U.S. airline industry. One year later, American's cost structure was the lowest of the six so-called legacy carriers, the others being United, Delta, Continental, Northwest and US Airways.

American is still not lean compared to low-cost carriers. Southwest Airlines' cost structure is 15 percent lower than American's; JetBlue's is 38 percent lower.

The savings helped AMR cut its first-quarter loss to $166 million from the $1 billion loss a year earlier, and to post a $6 million profit in April-June period. Analysts expect another small profit in the current quarter, which ends Sept. 30.

"American is off the critical list," says CEO Gerard Arpey, who sometimes lugs a small, rectangular sheet of metal with holes in it to employee rallies and meetings with Wall Street analysts to prove that American is committed to cutting bloated costs.

The grill provides the foundation for airplane seats. Until recently, American bought the supports for about $1,000 apiece. Now, employees make them for $157.

Fourteen-dollar Italian blankets offered to customers during flights were replaced with $8 throws from China, and American saved $600,000 on silverware by buying plastic utensils in an Internet auction.

"We can take pride in the progress that all our employees have made. We're a very different company than we were a year ago," he said.

But the other side of the ledger - revenue - is more challenging.

American's planes have grown progressively more full over the past year, but competition from low-cost carriers has prevented the airline from raising fares.

"It's a difficult yield environment," Arpey said in a recent interview, using the industry's term for revenue per passenger. "I don't see anything on the horizon that's going to change that."

American is expanding its capacity about 6 percent this year, mostly on international routes. It is operating some planes more often and reinstalling seats that were taken out to make more legroom.

The extra flights and seats contributed to a 9.9 percent increase in second-quarter revenue, even though revenue per seat - a closely followed measure in the airline industry - rose only slightly.

The problem with adding capacity, analysts say, is that everyone else is doing the same thing, making it even harder to raise prices. Ray Neidl, an analyst with Blaylock & Partners, says American has shown it can cut costs and now needs to raise more revenue per passenger.

One way to do that, Neidl says, would be to focus on international flights, hubs at Dallas, Chicago and Miami, and routes with a heavy dose of lucrative business travelers, such as New York to Los Angeles - and leave routes ruled by frugal leisure travelers to the low-cost airlines.

Union leaders say employees have done their part by absorbing layoffs and pay cuts, and now management needs to figure out how to beat the competition.

"All we did is buy some time," said John Darrah, whose term as president of the pilots union ended in July. "If all they do is take our concessions and don't solve the company's other problems - if they don't figure out how to compete domestically - the next downturn in the airline industry may be our last."