United and the Orient and other questions

Ukridge

Senior
Aug 27, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Interesting that United is making a foray into the Orient from Washington. If I have read correctly, it seems as if they have authorization to fly to Japan but that the permission to fly to China is yet a wish. Additionally, it seems that competition for this authority is being hotly contested by the other carriers who also desire to fly to China. Has anyone handicapped United’s chances of actually being the recipient of the government’s goodness? One would imagine that capital to capital flying would be an allure for those in Washington. When is the decision to be made?
Also, I spent a few minutes surfing around the board this afternoon perusing the various posts in an effort to see what is going on in the U.S. aviation industry. My oh my, how the sea has changed since the old days of a good captain’s musings and prognostications. Since I have been told more than once on this forum that I am not very bright, I humbly ask that someone please correct me if I am wrong in the conclusions that I have drawn from today’s quick reading. They are:
1. Delta is poised to stand astride the world as an aviation juggernaut and leader of the 21st century air armada. With service unequaled in the span of the globe. Just look that ultra-modern 767 that they plan to fly from New York to London with. Each day finds them growing in wisdom and stature while simultaneously driving United further toward oblivion.
2. United’s intent, while perhaps well-meaning, only stands to be thwarted at every turn by the behemoth Delta. It is nice that United is playing, but the outcome has already been determined.
3. Such acts as pulling away from an obvious low-yield city pair (LHR-JFK) that is saturated with competition to use the assets elsewhere for greater yield (e.g., Japan to Washington) is only a sign of how Delta is a thwarting United as we speak.
4. The banks are ready to pull the plug due to United’s low margins in comparison to such a colossus as Delta.
5. That United would follow demographics and economics by launching additional services to the most burgeoning areas of the world (read China) is only indicative of its weakness against such dominance over the North Atlantic by, shall we say, Delta.
6. As we speak, cabals and whisper campaigns are underway to determine how United will be divided apart and by whom when the inevitable acquisition/merger takes place.

Am I reading this wrong? By the way, I am glad that I do not have to travel this month. I would not get near Heathrow if you promised me a few round trip tickets on Delta! Hats off to those of you who have to deal with that rat’s nest.

:up: Very funny.

I always enjoy reading your posts, Ukridge.

About the chances that UAL gets its fifth daily flight to China? Practically zero, IMO. CO is applying for EWR-PVG, which would complement its EWR-PEK begun in 2005. Although the DOT isn't officially charged with creating parity in the USA-China market, UAL already has four daily flights to CO's (and AA's) one daily flight. NW and UA applied for an additional flight, but IMO that was a formality - like in case CO and AA weren't in business next year - UA and NW didn't want to be caught flat-footed.

Conspiracy theorists will claim that CO and AA get a boost because they're based in Texas. Maybe that's true. But I suspect that the truth is that the DOT will write an award decision that emphasizes the importance of NYC-China and downplays the importance of IAD-China.

Capital to Capital? Anybody important enough to worry about that already flies on US government airplanes and doesn't have to fly on lowly commercial carriers.

Interesting that United is making a foray into the Orient from Washington. If I have read correctly, it seems as if they have authorization to fly to Japan but that the permission to fly to China is yet a wish. Additionally, it seems that competition for this authority is being hotly contested by the other carriers who also desire to fly to China. Has anyone handicapped United’s chances of actually being the recipient of the government’s goodness? One would imagine that capital to capital flying would be an allure for those in Washington. When is the decision to be made?
Also, I spent a few minutes surfing around the board this afternoon perusing the various posts in an effort to see what is going on in the U.S. aviation industry. My oh my, how the sea has changed since the old days of a good captain’s musings and prognostications. Since I have been told more than once on this forum that I am not very bright, I humbly ask that someone please correct me if I am wrong in the conclusions that I have drawn from today’s quick reading. They are:
1. Delta is poised to stand astride the world as an aviation juggernaut and leader of the 21st century air armada. With service unequaled in the span of the globe. Just look that ultra-modern 767 that they plan to fly from New York to London with. Each day finds them growing in wisdom and stature while simultaneously driving United further toward oblivion.
2. United’s intent, while perhaps well-meaning, only stands to be thwarted at every turn by the behemoth Delta. It is nice that United is playing, but the outcome has already been determined.
3. Such acts as pulling away from an obvious low-yield city pair (LHR-JFK) that is saturated with competition to use the assets elsewhere for greater yield (e.g., Japan to Washington) is only a sign of how Delta is a thwarting United as we speak.
4. The banks are ready to pull the plug due to United’s low margins in comparison to such a colossus as Delta.
5. That United would follow demographics and economics by launching additional services to the most burgeoning areas of the world (read China) is only indicative of its weakness against such dominance over the North Atlantic by, shall we say, Delta.
6. As we speak, cabals and whisper campaigns are underway to determine how United will be divided apart and by whom when the inevitable acquisition/merger takes place.

Am I reading this wrong? By the way, I am glad that I do not have to travel this month. I would not get near Heathrow if you promised me a few round trip tickets on Delta! Hats off to those of you who have to deal with that rat’s nest.

In the end....

Delta will go throught 'Fragmentation',

and then be,

....Acquired.

Most jobs will be saved though...

Good Luck to all.

yes, FWA.... but I'd still bet on AA getting the China freq from DFW.

You may be right - if so, and I'm wrong, then I'll be very, very happy as one of the more vocal AA cheerleaders on this forum. :D

Having convinced myself that CO will get its route keeps me from severe disappointment when DOT awards it to CO in a few months.

Ukridge,

:lol:

Looks like you have uncovered that font of wisdom that just keeps spewing and flowing, known as WorldTraveler.

At least the USAirways version of WT has been rather subdued lately.

B) B) :lol: :lol: :lol: U need to put down the crack pipe, and move along. DELTAS ultr-modern 767..i cant stop laughing- those pieces of crap. Delta needs to worry about their REAL competition- JB and AT and worry about whats happenin in 'Lanta....Man u are outta ur mind!

B) B) :lol: :lol: :lol: U need to put down the crack pipe, and move along. DELTAS ultr-modern 767..i cant stop laughing- those pieces of crap. Delta needs to worry about their REAL competition- JB and AT and worry about whats happenin in 'Lanta....Man u are outta ur mind!

You wouldn't know sarcasm if it beat you upside the head.

Errrr.... As FWAA well stated NAPUAS, do you perhaps think that there may have been just a wee little tiny bit of fun-poking going on here? Maybe just a little? Even though my reading of some of the other postings was cursory, I was, shall we say, bemused, by the assurance that some posters had as to their own success and the concurrent demise of United. It is apparent from some of the replies to my query that I am not alone in drawing this conclusion :lol:

UK, your posts are always refreshing...Subtlety is still an art-form that many don't have the time to grasp these days. Any truth to the rumour that Delta's going to ask their employees to buy them a 380? While the plane may be a challenge to get off the ground, the projected loads out of NYC could be astronomical! That's a beat 'em over the head rumour BTW.

Latest posts