We won the China route?

ualdriver

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
We have an e-mail in our corporate webmail from Glenn saying that we won the China route. Why isn't the news or ANYONE picking up on it?

..........Hi, it’s Glenn, it’s Tuesday, the ninth of January, and I am calling today from Chicago. I am pleased to report that this morning I got a call from Department of Transportation Secretary Mary Peters, informing me that United was successful in its bid for the next available route to China. The capital-to-capital service that we proposed, providing non-stop service between Washington, D.C., and Beijing, was selected over proposals from Northwest, American and Continental.........

We have an e-mail in our corporate webmail from Glenn saying that we won the China route. Why isn't the news or ANYONE picking up on it?
Yes, United has been tentatively selected by the DOT for IAD-PEK service -- the DOT order can be found on the agency's website (www.dot.gov). I'm reading it now.

..........Hi, it’s Glenn, it’s Tuesday, the ninth of January, and I am calling today from Chicago. I am pleased to report that this morning I got a call from Department of Transportation Secretary Mary Peters, informing me that United was successful in its bid for the next available route to China. The capital-to-capital service that we proposed, providing non-stop service between Washington, D.C., and Beijing, was selected over proposals from Northwest, American and Continental.........

I think it's a good thing to hear it from the company first. It means they consider communication to the employees an important thing. The wire services will be out in force very soon on this, they have to call the hotline, write their quick story, and then verify with DOT.

This is a good win for UAL. This route will be a big money make for us.

JBG

Congrats to UAL! I thought it was the strongest of the applications. I'm sure this route will do well for UAL.

No surprise at all, in my view. UA's was the strongest bid submitted. This is clearly a strong addition to UA's route structure.

What a win for United and the whole DC area. Also, what a statement that keeping the IAD hub.

Congrats to UA. Long live UA!

Congrats UAL.

Personally, I felt CO had the best shot, due to the fact that they would transport more Chinese folks, due to the close proximity to NYC.

Also,

I thought AA also had a good shot..............UNTIL they "stepped on their DICK", and re-applied with DFW/ORD/PEK/DFW.

Again, congrats UAL !!!!!!!!

NH/BB's

Guess NWA's little threat of outsourcing to "Chinese FA's" last year has reached a few ears in Washington.

Good for United!

Congrats to The "U"........by far and away the best bid and connecting both capitols. Will also open up more connecting pairs for the Star Alliance.