United Chicago Don't Go

Doc

Veteran
Jul 15, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Well United Chicago, If it was my comment that got your goat I certainly didn’t want to chase you out. I was just stating that I noticed that you were always seeing things in a sort of a one sided view and the truth of the matter is that no big airline is safe right now.
These LCC are eating away at a lot of these employees lively hoods making any ware between 8 and 12 dollars an hour where most of them have built a life making 22 after being there 20 + years now these guys come in and hire these kids who some barley speak English and would work just for the benefits only if they had to because they have 2 other jobs. I know I'm Exaggerating but only a little bit some of these LCC employyees probably will never make enough to buy a nice home one day. If the airline had there way they hope they quit after 3 or 4 yrs.

So United, USAirways,Delta, are in trouble trying to compete. I believe that UAL and U would probably be better off together in a complete merger and bring back regulation and for heaven sake some good ole customer service. Some employees are tired of all the crap and you can see it in there work performance you see their faces when you check in. I’m rambling so I will stop. But don't go it is fun to read the threads even though sometimes they get wierd with all the bantering because after all that is all it is just bantering...........

These LCC are eating away at a lot of these employees lively hoods making any ware between 8 and 12 dollars an hour where most of them have built a life making 22 after being there 20 + years now these guys come in and hire these kids who some barley speak English and would work just for the benefits only if they had to because they have 2 other jobs. I know I'm Exaggerating but only a little bit some of these LCC employyees probably will never make enough to buy a nice home one day. If the airline had there way they hope they quit after 3 or 4 yrs.

We know the problems. What are the answers? Re-regulating the airlines? Just letting the system cull out the weak ones? Write off empty seats as lost revenue against profits? Reduce management? What? What? What? This is an awfull mess.

When airlines can sell a seat for $54 to go 1200 miles, things will not get better.
Competition is healthy in most business, but is killing the airline business.
Everyone deserves a fair wage and most people expect to get raises throughout their career. Regulation stopped start-ups from operating outside of the state they were in.

It cost the same amount on every airline, so service became the issue of competition.
The only way to make airlines healthy today is when demand surpasses supply.

"Regulation stopped start-ups from operating outside of the state they were in."

Are you wishing for reregulation? The service was better, but the cost was prohibitive for the average Joe. The goverment subsidised certain
routes, btw I think they still do. Competetion was strictly governed.

I would imagine, that the big boys would love to see this, however, I do not think it will happen. Secondly, take companies like ATA, AAI, JBU and SWA, what would you have them do? Not allow them to expand further? Cut down their route network, so that the big boys will be able to make a profit? Perhaps, we could reregulate the industry and truly go after predatory pricing, now how would that suit the "big boys"?

In a way, the business is already regulated. It called slots and gates. AMR was going to sue the city of LGB for slots, perhaps JBU should sue Chicago for a few slots and gates??

Chicago is not slot restricted. I'm willing to bet that when comparing the reliance a company has on restrictive "slotted departures", Jet blue likely has the highest percentage of departures that are slot controlled.

You are correct, Chicago is no longer slot controlled, however, it is more or less gate controlled. Neither AMR or UAL is about to release any gates, even though there is a lack of utilization.

Now do not get me wrong, if I was in their shoes, I would not either. The reason are obvious. This is not a jab at neither UAL or AMR, I was merely talking about "reregulation" the industry. There are certain routes, that are very hard to obtain, either because of slots or gates or capacity. LHR is a great example, as is Japan and China are others. I wouldbe tempted to believe UAL would wish more acccess, despite the selloff of slots at LHR, which were not really usefull due to the Bermuda agreement.

Perimeter rule, Wright amendment, National and LGA are a few other barriers to free competetion.

I am aware of jetBlue's operations at JFK and LGB :), JFK is only controlled during specific hours of the day and I have no doubt, that jetBlue would gladly welcome lifting the restrictions at LGB.

Are you wishing for reregulation? The service was better, but the cost was prohibitive for the average Joe.
Diesel8
You can never go back but things might be changed. Airlines are getting their just due from gouging in non competitive markets. I remember 400 mile flights costing twice what a coast to coast trip did.

There has to be a middle ground somewhere between gouging and financial suicide.

If all the big airlines were destroyed, how long before Lcc's would gouge the customer.

Walk up fares were always a lot higher than normally booked flights.

Maybe so much per mile for all airlines. Any ideas?

Back