United Dc-8 Interiors

Jan 1, 2004
I am constructing a large, United DC-8 out of Fiberglass with one side of the cabin open so the interior can be seen. I am putting a lot of work into this and would like to make it as accurate as possible to the final United DC-8 interior. The last United DC-8 interior I saw was in the late 1980's. I was about twelve years-old, but I recall the coach seats were brown with colorful checkers down the middle and First Class was burgundy with orange, red, and blue vertical stripes. Was this the last interior for the DC-8 or did it change over to the grey seats with the rainbow-colored diamond pattern down the middle like the rest of the fleet? Also, did the coach seats have the air conditioning duct on the back of the seat at the end? I seem to recall UAL doing a complete makeover of the DC-8 fleet right before they retired them. Feel free to post any memories on here or PM me if you like. Thank You in advance for your help.

My first thought was airliners.net, as you can usually find many interior pix there. But only one of the interior of a UAL DC-8:

That interior looks a bit more dated than the one I remember as a child. The one I was on actually had large, enclose overhead bins. This photo does offer an excellent view of the air conditioning duct and the reading light in the seat back though. Did they remain like that until the end? That I don't recollect. Also, did you see those people standing in the back?

Hello. The DC-8 interiors were completely refurbished in the mid 1980's. The biggest thing I remember was a more defined ceiling to make it look less like a tube. I also remember the large screen attaching near the cockpit for movies and the loud whine the CFM engines made on start-up.

I love flying on the DC-8.

UnitedChicago,

Do you remember if they updated the seat covers beyond the brown ones with the multi-colored rectangular bars down the middle or was that the last interior? Did United ever change them over to the grey with the colored diamond-pattern down the middle? Another thing I distinctly remember is multi-colored bulkheads. They sort of had a mountain-scape design. I wish I would have taken a camera on that trip! I too liked the DC-8 and the DC-10 for that matter.

They did change the seats in economy to the ones you mentioned, if I remember correctly. (And leather in first. ) I am almost sure of it. I'll look around some old photos and see if I can find a pic.

Did you remember the giant closet in the rear of the aircraft?? (a favorite for very tired f/a's trying to catch some zzzz's on all-niters. :up: ) It just wouldn't be realistic without that closet!!!

They did change the seats in economy to the ones you mentioned, if I remember correctly. (And leather in first. ) I am almost sure of it. I'll look around some old photos and see if I can find a pic.

Did you remember the giant closet in the rear of the aircraft?? (a favorite for very tired f/a's trying to catch some zzzz's on all-niters. :up: ) It just wouldn't be realistic without that closet!!!

Thank You and if you can find any photos I'd appreciate it. I have not gotten as far as the cabin furnishings yet, but I do have some seating charts and will make sure the closet is in there.

Waaaaaay big enough to sleep in. It even had shelves, so more than one could get in there at a time. It was the biggest closet I've ever (ahem..... :rolleyes: ) seen.

I am constructing a large, United DC-8 out of Fiberglass with one side of the cabin open so the interior can be seen. I am putting a lot of work into this and would like to make it as accurate as possible to the final United DC-8 interior. The last United DC-8 interior I saw was in the late 1980's. I was about twelve years-old, but I recall the coach seats were brown with colorful checkers down the middle and First Class was burgundy with orange, red, and blue vertical stripes. Was this the last interior for the DC-8 or did it change over to the grey seats with the rainbow-colored diamond pattern down the middle like the rest of the fleet? Also, did the coach seats have the air conditioning duct on the back of the seat at the end? I seem to recall UAL doing a complete makeover of the DC-8 fleet right before they retired them. Feel free to post any memories on here or PM me if you like. Thank You in advance for your help.

When the DC8-61's were outfitted with the CFM engines, the interiors were completely re-done, including new overhead bins, sidewalls and seats.

The interior scheme was designed by a Seattle firm called (at that time) SGS - the principal designer's name was John Fikken. I've no idea if he is still around and doubt the firm exists anymore, but perhaps an extensive google search will yield results.

The interior was a distinct scheme that was also used on most of the DC10 fleet.

First class seats were a brownish gray leather.

Bulkheads did not have the wavy mountain motif - it was completely different.

Economy seats were a dark gray with a multi-colored square pattern. It was not the gray and multi-colored diamond design.

The carpet WAS the only common point amongst the interiors of the other aircraft.

For commonality, the DC10s ended up being refurbished with the gray/colored diamond scheme after the retirements of the DC8s.

The nice thing about the DC8 was the legroom in economy was still pretty good....

Thanks so much for the great info.! If you, or anyone else, have any photos I will be much obliged.

Thanks so much for the great info.! If you, or anyone else, have any photos I will be much obliged.
I can't supply any photos of DC-8's, but I do hope you will post some photos of your model when it's finished The 'eight is one of my all time favorites. My last ride on one was in Peru around 1988 or so, on an ex UAL ship operated by Facucett; it still had the original seats, complete with the UAL "shield" logo molded next to the reading light in the seatback.

If I get it finished within the next decade (I mean this literally), and US AVIATION is still in business, I promise to post photos. I appreciate all the responses. United folks are the best!

There is an aviation museum here in Denver called "Wings over the Rockies". It's housed in a hangar at the former Lowry Air Force Base. The base closed several years ago and has largely been redeveloped, but a few buildings, including two hangars remain. Most of the collection is military aircraft, but on my only visit there three years ago, I noticed a model of a United DC-8 with a cutaway view of the interior.

This DC-8 is the largest model I have ever seen. As I recall, I figured it to be about a 1/12 scale. I have no idea why this model was built because it is too big for display in an airline ticket office or travel agency. If I had to guess, I would say it might have been part of United's "Jetarama" promotion back in 1959 and 1960. Jetarama was an exhibit that traveled to various cities to promote jet travel and the DC-8.

The model has been repainted in the Saul Bass-designed color scheme introduced in 1974, but the interior is definitely in the delivery colors.

If you want, I can call the museum to see if this model is still on display. If you are going to invest your time and money in such a big project, it might be worth coming to see it.

Latest posts

Back